RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 P38 4.0 has now done 147,000 miles.
I bought the car from a broker when it had done 20,000.
The brake pads ares till only maybe half gone.
No fading, no squeaking, no dust - is this a miracle, or are they making some kind of pad I don't know about?
Don't know the previous owner or why they put pads on before 20,00 miles because they surely can't be standard.
Too scared to take them out and look at the brand in case I jinx them.
Can this be normal?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I was pretty surprised when I went to change mine @ over 80k miles, and they still had quite a bit of life left. I actually don't doubt your story...those pads are **** near a half inch thick new, and the RR slows itself down to 30mph by just letting off the gas anyway.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Quite possible depending on your driving habits. My original pads had appx 140K on them when I replaced them. However almost all of my rigs life had been spent on the highways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh absolutely - I maintain the car totally by myself - never been near a service bay.

Admittedly probably half those miles are freeway miles here in Los Angeles but still. I have to change the pads in my wife's Disco every 40,000 miles.

I think the previous owner must have put on some lifetime pads of some description. If I ever have to change them I'll let you know the brand..

BreezeWaveFun said:
I'm going to have to go with Impossible, they must have been replaced without you knowing somewhere along the line. Do you keep all your receipts?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I would have them out and inspect them,here in the damp UK climate brake pads that dont get worn out quickly enough can break up.This is because the steel backplate swells with rust and cracks the pad material,pushing it off.The calipers and slides will also sieze through lack of regular movement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I mean - I certainly drive hard. The weird thing is there is no brake dust on the wheels at all. Must be some kind of ceramic pad. I see lifetime pads advertised- always thought they were a scam, but apparently what is in the car really works. They certainly are wearing - since I bought the car 5 years ago they have worn about a quarter of an inch. I guess I'll take them out and see what brand they are, let you know.

BreezeWaveFun said:
Dang, I seem to have to change them at least every 40'000 us mi, maybe my driving habits are bad, or I'm just getting scammed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's nice to hear that your pads are wearing rather slow, but I would keep an eye on rotor wear. All my pads are more than 50%, but the rotors are wearing down fast. In fact, I'll probably need to change them this year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I get a considerable amount of brake dust. I don't change the pads myself, but once I get settled in I'm hoping to start doing so. Please do let us know what brand they are!!

jacekk said:
The weird thing is there is no brake dust on the wheels at all. Must be some kind of ceramic pad. I see lifetime pads advertised- always thought they were a scam, but apparently what is in the car really works. They certainly are wearing - since I bought the car 5 years ago they have worn about a quarter of an inch. I guess I'll take them out and see what brand they are, let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts