RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Velar R-Drynamic HSE P380
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just did the 120,000 mile/8 year service on my 2010 LUX HSE sport. I bought the truck new in Jan 2010 and I always have it serviced at the Land Rover Dealership I bought it from. I also have the Continental Extended Warranty which runs to 100,000 miles or Jan 2018. My truck currently has 99000 miles so when I dropped it off I asked the SA to do a thorough inspection and if anything needs to be done do it while I still have the warranty.

The good news is everything is fine on the truck. So all that was done was the 120k service. I also had them do a state inspection,replace a side market light that was out and have them check my tailgate.

The total cost was $714.87 which included a 15% service discount. I also was provided a loaner for the time the truck was being serviced. I only put 8000 miles on the truck this year vs the typical 10-12k because the truck was in the shop quite a bit this year for a nagging brake issue. In Jan 2016 I had my front brakes rotors/pads replaced and every 3 months I would have to bring in the truck back in because the rotors warped. At one point it was in the shop for 2 months all of April and May. I was provided a free loaner that whole time so I didnt mind. It was finally corrected this year !!!!

Let me recap the service work done in 2017.

Jan 2017- 105k service- $1010 also replaced front brake rotors because they were warped again. (no charge for the rotors)

April 2017- Warped rotors again- 5th time I had the truck in since the front brakes were replaced in Jan 2016. This time the foreman worked on the truck and had it for all of April and May. They replaced the calipers, hoses, gave me new rotors and pads, flushed the brake fluid. All this was covered under warranty otherwise it would of been $2600.

July 2017- replaced rear marker light and fixed shifter that was binding (second time this has happened) $276.01

Oct 2017- Brake Pad warning came on (ughhh!!) thought it was the same brake issue again but it turned out the wear sensor was loose and dangling in wheel. This was replaced under warranty -$0

so this was my 2017 service history recap. Even tho the truck spent a ton of time in service the brake issue finally has been fixed and the extended warranty covered all the brake issues. I paid $3990 for my extended warranty and I broke even at a minimum if not coming out slightly ahead.

My warranty will expire in 2 weeks so I'll be on my own. Luckily alot of things have been replaced on the truck over the years all under warranty such as, steering wheel, gas tank sender unit,water pump, both front headlamps,lower control arms, cargo struts,driver side mirror,emergency brake.

i plan to keep the rig for a while hopefully 150-200k miles. Im hoping the truck will hold up and not costs to much $$$ to maintain over the next few years.

Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not yet. It looks like its due for service at the 10year, 150K mark.
I think its pretty expensive from what I saw on this forum but I'll be sure to ask for a quote before it is done. There also is a very good independent shop that only does Land Rovers so when it comes time I may get a second quote from them to see how big the difference is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ZF recommend changing the fluid every 60,000 or more frequently if you drive in a "spirited" fashion.

Do not listen to JLR on this matter. Same for oil changes. They have other agendas such as fleet car costs.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Hey Slick did you ever have to touch the Timing components? It sure seems like more supercharged than N/A 5.0 engines have the Timing chain and tensioner issues but just curious if yours are original. My 2012 FFRR HSE LUX hasn’t been touched yet but it also only has 42000 km

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bgolly

my timing components are all original. My SA said they went over everything in the truck knowing I would be coming off warranty and everything checked out fine. Truck has been running great. I'm pretty anal about keeping the truck up on its recommended maintenance. I have the 2010 Maintenance check list and ask the dealership to follow that schedule. I do all my recommended maintenance in Jan and any issues I have I take the truck to the dealership immediately. I know 2 of the SA's pretty well as my truck goes to the shop 3-5 times a year. I trust the SA's as they have run almost every repair under the warranty besides of course the yearly maintenance. They have also thrown in a few "free" full exterior details over the years. Also they always provide me with a free loaner which is super convenient.

Do you have the extended warranty? I usually dont get one but I did for this truck b/c the unexpected repairs that could cost thousands of dollars. I have read some of the timing chain repair costs..ouch they are expensive.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jackra

you got me all worried now thinking about the transmission oil change..
do you have an idea how much changing the AT fluid would cost? I know on some older models it was pretty expensive because you had to replace the transmission pan. Is that still the case for the 2010 model?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
No I didn’t buy an extended warranty. My factory warranty is now over. While on warranty I had one bad fuel injector and as a result of the misfiring an O2 sensor was also replaced. That’s all that’s been done to my truck other than regular oil changes and filters once a year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I didn’t buy an extended warranty. My factory warranty is now over. While on warranty I had one bad fuel injector and as a result of the misfiring an O2 sensor was also replaced. That’s all that’s been done to my truck other than regular oil changes and filters once a year.
sounds like you have a solid truck! thats great!..My engine has been fine just alot of other things that had to be replaced under warranty so fingers are crossed the truck holds up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jackra

you got me all worried now thinking about the transmission oil change..
do you have an idea how much changing the AT fluid would cost? I know on some older models it was pretty expensive because you had to replace the transmission pan. Is that still the case for the 2010 model?
If you get a dealer to do it then yes it can be expensive indeed.

I know on the 4.2 engine you have to replace the pan because it contains the filter. Also its a good idea to replace the mechatronics sleeve at the same time as you can only do this with the pan removed. Sometimes this sleeve is a source for leaks.

I dont think the 5.0 transmission is any different.

Also because you have quite a high mileage on the transmission with no change to the fluid a complete flush would be a good idea.

I was quoted $1300 by a local JLR service dept for doing a simple drain and fill on my Jaguar. I ended up doing a complete flush and fill myself for considerably less!

I plan on doing the same in the Spring on my 2013 RR HSE LUX. It now has 83,000 on it. I do not put much mileage on it as I am retired.

The Lifeguard 6 fluid recommended by ZF, the trans manufacturer, is expensive but you can get it on Ebay for a "reasonable" cost in multi bottle packs.

There are many people who swear by other fluids that have the "same" specs however since its going to last another 60k miles my feeling is why take the risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts