RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2012 RR SC with 106K miles on it. So I knew the timing chain guides would eventually need replacement. The other day it started ticking pretty bad, and got worse. Happened more sudden than I thought it might, but alas, I'm 95% the timing chains are the issue. I'm fairly handy with most automotive work including some engine rebuild experience (2008 Lancer evo).

I cannot find many DIY guides or videos on this procedure. Anyone have a parts list, or a DIY guide that I'm missing? I've been searching a lot on this forum, youtube, FFRR, etc.

Any info/tips are appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
Atlantic British sells a timing chain/guide/tensioner package for the 2012 RRFFSC trucks # TCK5030 1069.00 NOTE this is the winter sale price
smart money also buys the tool set for an additional 349.00

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
You must buy a good quality tool. Timing on this engine is horrible. From people I have talked to, apparently the job is so tolling on the tools, they must be replaced every 5 or so jobs.

PM me with any questions about the engine including assembly/disassembly. I have access to a full highly detailed workshop manual for this engine. I am not legally supposed to attach it on the internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone. Luckily I have another car, so it may be a bit of a long/slow process, but hopefully I can get this done on my own.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You must buy a good quality tool. Timing on this engine is horrible. From people I have talked to, apparently the job is so tolling on the tools, they must be replaced every 5 or so jobs.

PM me with any questions about the engine including assembly/disassembly. I have access to a full highly detailed workshop manual for this engine. I am not legally supposed to attach it on the internet.
Hey Keralis. I'm curious, what is so toling on the specialty tools? I thought they were just locking tools to prevent movement?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Seems to me you would want to remove the valve covers anyway to see if the seals have held up and if not clean up in there . . .

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
I just can't believe that the later models have the same problem. I've done it on the M62 engine a few times - 3. It takes about 40hrs for the first time. So pack more than a lunch if its the same sort of time table.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts