RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats what im averaging, i do mostly city / suburban driving -- just wanted to make sure this is normal and is there anything i can do to get better mpg's>?? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Ace 95 said:
thats what im averaging, i do mostly city / suburban driving -- just wanted to make sure this is normal and is there anything i can do to get better mpg's>?? :mrgreen:
Mine usually is between 15 and 17

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ace 95 said:

I get 11.5 mpg, hand calculated over about the last 6 months. I drive 90% city and 10% freeway.

I, however, have 275/65/18 tires - that are heavier. I have corrected my MPG calculation for the larger tires which cause my odometer to read 6.8% too little.

I noticed a 'big" improvement (1/2 mpg) when I replaced my dirty air filter with a new one. That was about 4 months ago. FYI - I would try that for some MPG boost.

I notice that when I take a road trip (freeway), I can get 15 to 17mpg on the trip - but as soon as I get around town, it drops.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
211 Posts
yea about 12 miles mostly suburban driving. I wish it had live reading like some other cars.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Drive less city/suburban.
Keep a close eye on the tire pressure (44 psi rear, 36 psi front).
And put an egg between your foot & the gas pedal.
and :pray:

Oh yeah, if you still have a choice between gasoline & ethanol, SCREW the ethanol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get 11-12 mpg when towing 4500 pounds, about 15 around town, 18 when highway driving at 70-75 mph on the 2003. My wife gets 17-18 in town and 19 highway, but doesn't accelerate very fast :mrgreen:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gonna check the air filter, i bet its had it, can i clean it or should i just get a new one?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just buy a new one, they're not expensive - probably around 20 of your funny currency.

12mpg does seem low, I'm getting around 18-19 in everyday driving and my Good Lady can persuade low 20s out of it on a run. Although, of course, our gallons are a different size to USA gallons so it would be interesting for someone to do the maths and work out if we're getting similar results overall.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the conversion table I was starting to think there's something wrong with my car geting 12 mpg and all these other guys getting 15 lol. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here is what you do if you are really interested in saving every a few drops of gas (note not all these things are great for your engine or other parts and can even be unsafe and/or LIFE THREATENING, but will save gas):

• Use light tires without aggressive tread and inflate to maximum recommended pressure for less rolling resistence and use TPMS to make sure they are always the correct pressure[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Frequently check wheel balance/alignment to make sure there is no pulling, vibrating, etc which will use unnecessary energy[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Ensure that all filters are clean[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Make sure all engine sensors (oxygen sensor, etc.), wiring, and spark plugs, etc are functioning properly and in mint condition[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Whenever you are driving, maintain the most efficient speed possible, this will vary depending many factors, if you have an instantaneous fuel consumption readout keep an eye on what speed gives the highest fuel economy.[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • when possible accelerate using about 75% - 100% throttle, this will usually cause higher torque and more efficient energy output, but be mindful of what is ahead of you as you will waste energy if you suddenly need to brake. Try to operate smoothly.[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Drive as little as possible, coast in neutral and/or turn off the engine whenever possible, especially when approaching stop signs or stopped traffic, try not to ever use the brakes because then you are wasting the energy you just used to get up to speed.[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • Accelerate to a certain speed, and then coast to a slower speed in neutral and/or with engine off until you need to speed up again (you are getting honked at and verbally or physically confronted by other motorists). The ECU will use a richer fuel mixture when starting the engine, so only turn off the engine when you know you will be able to coast for a considerable distance such as going down a hill). Also note that steering/braking is severely impacted with the engine off.[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
  • When possible draft off of larger vehicles such as tractor trailers, the decreased wind resistance can have dramatic effects, possibly as much as 40 - 50% improvement if you stay just a few feet behind the rear bumper.[/*:m:3cjrtpp2]
I would say if you combined all these techniques and totally disregarded your own safety you could probably get up to 35 - 40 mpg on the highway under ideal conditions.... and perhaps similar numbers around down if you always choose the right technique for the situation....

That said, I think you would have to be crazy to go beyond the obvious stuff like proper maintenance/tire pressure/alignment/balance.... and maybe shifting to neutral at stop lights or something.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
And for the record, I get about 15.8 mpg. I don't drive on the highway/motorway much.

·
Registered
211 Posts
lol I used to cruise in neutral when I had a manual transmission car.. So you get 15.8 in city ha? wow and thats US gallons I take it? I gotta go through everything on my car when I get it back from the shop. 4mpg difference is a lot and I drive it like a 97 year old granny.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes it is very little highway driving, but I get to drive at a fairly constant speed of about 35 - 40 mph from my house to my office with essentially no traffic anywhere, I rarely have to apply brakes, and there is only one stop light in my 35 minute drive, I don't even have any turns... my office is on the same road that I live on. I live well outside the "city".

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Surely if you have to THAT careful about MPG you cannot really afford to run a Range Rover. Whats the point in 300bhp and a 4.4l motor if you drive it like a Prius :shock:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Gazellio said:
Surely if you have to THAT careful about MPG you cannot really afford to run a Range Rover. Whats the point in 300bhp and a 4.4l motor if you drive it like a Prius :shock:
I'd be willing to bet it would cost you a lot more to actually drive that way anyway... not good for the engine or the transmission... among other things... and not even better for the environment probably... since you'd be wasting all the energy and materials that went into manufacturing all those components, you should be trying to make them last as long as possible. Spending a few $ more on gas isn't going to matter... and if it does, you probably can't afford to even own ANY vehicle, let alone a RR (unless you drive SO many miles that it actually outweighs other cost of ownership factors).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I assume that you all know that comparing mileage is pointless, unless you (or we) all have the same fuel consumption correction factor set in each of our rovers. OR we are all recording & measuring exactly how many gallons of gas we are each getting and how many miles we're each driving and doing the math...
Accurately.
If you want to improve just the reading that your truck SAYS that you're getting, just adjust the factor accordingly. It can look as good or as bad as you like, within the allowed parameters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts