RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 RR 4.0

Air conditioner blows nice cold air, but after about 15 or 20 minutes the cold air stops. Is this a sign of an obvious problem? Maybe recharge system or something like that? Compressor seems to be running.

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The compressor clutch signal passes through the pressure witch. When the pressure gets out of range the pressure switch can interrupt the signal towards the clutch. The ECU detects this because it is equipped with load sensing and when the interuption is too long it will light the book sign and cuts off the signal from the ecu towards the clutch. This will only be reset when the ignition is cycled.

You have to check your system pressures. When the pressure gets too high there is insufficient cooling what might be caused by overfilling of the AC system, blokages in the cooler or a faulty pressure switch. There is also the possibility of not enough R134a gas or a faulty expansion valve.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
Well I'm not getting the testbook symbol, so I don't know if that a sign that the pressure is not out of range or not? Never really messed with AC system, so is there any way for me to tell if the R134a gas is low or if I have a faulty expansion valve?

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
799 Posts
Have recently had this on two different vehicles. It turns out only one blower motor was operating due to faulty fuse box relays. The evaporator was icing up I presume as it had insufficient air passing through it and A/C was cutting out. Relay swap fixed both.
Turn your blowers up high and set the control to face vent and simply check that air is coming out of both outlets. Make sure the vents are open.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ghur said:
Have recently had this on two different vehicles. It turns out only one blower motor was operating due to faulty fuse box relays. The evaporator was icing up I presume as it had insufficient air passing through it and A/C was cutting out. Relay swap fixed both.
Turn your blowers up high and set the control to face vent and simply check that air is coming out of both outlets. Make sure the vents are open.
Thanks,
Yeah air is blowing out face vents, but like I said it blows cold for about 20 minutes or so and then the cold air turns to warm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts