RangeRovers.net Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Review of the 10.25 Android Screen for my 2015 Supercharged Range Rover (L405) purchased via Android Aftershock.

All - I thought I would share a little about my experience so far after purchasing and installing this unit in my 2015 Range Rover. I was sick and tired of the painful and slow OEM head unit and have been longing for CarPlay for maps (both Apple and Google) and Spotify. Those were my top priorities. Here is what I have to share almost one week into the new unit:

1) Android Aftershock - I purchased this via their website using the discount code from this forum. Ray is the owner and you could not ask for a better person to work with to answer your questions and make sure you are getting the right product for your vehicle. Ray is the real deal and genuinely is excited to help deliver this long sought after functionality in these beautiful vehicles. It's worth noting too that Ray is a veteran and if you even remotely follow any of these threads he is helping everyone get the best use of their units.

2) Installation - I live in Los Angeles and worked with Ray to come directly to him for installation in Indio. Yes, I drove 2+ hours but I was convinced he would be the best person to do it and the experience was exceptional. His workspace was spotless and he worked quickly and carefully to install the new unit. He had super comfortable space for me to work while waiting. He made sure every detail was to my liking and even followed up the next day to make sure I was happy and if I had any questions.

3) Usage - my 2-hour drive back to LA was a great experience using CarPlay because it worked wonderfully. I had maps, music and did 3 conference calls easily navigating the device and had no issues. Ray had given me a full walk through before departing so there were no concerns. The back up camera works like usual. The audio is still very crisp and clear and with no problems.

4) Start-up time from ignition - I have read a few posts commenting on the longer than expected start up time of the unit from turn over the ignition. Personally, this is not an issue to me. It feels marginally longer but frankly, I don't care. I have a beautiful, modern interface that works to my liking and brings my 2015 vehicle into the modern age. Every time I watch it boot up I smile because I know what is coming - a great driving experience.

I'll post more soon and share some pics but wanted to get this up for everyone. I can't say enough about Ray and the great care he takes to make sure everyone is happy. If I had any concerns about opening up my dashboard and installing something - he made it all disappear wtih his professionalism and genuine care.

Best,
Chris
Wow --- You can't ask for a better review than that! Ray fancy a trip to NYC ;-) ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Review of the 10.25 Android Screen for my 2015 Supercharged Range Rover (L405) purchased via Android Aftershock.

All - I thought I would share a little about my experience so far after purchasing and installing this unit in my 2015 Range Rover. I was sick and tired of the painful and slow OEM head unit and have been longing for CarPlay for maps (both Apple and Google) and Spotify. Those were my top priorities. Here is what I have to share almost one week into the new unit:

1) Android Aftershock - I purchased this via their website using the discount code from this forum. Ray is the owner and you could not ask for a better person to work with to answer your questions and make sure you are getting the right product for your vehicle. Ray is the real deal and genuinely is excited to help deliver this long sought after functionality in these beautiful vehicles. It's worth noting too that Ray is a veteran and if you even remotely follow any of these threads he is helping everyone get the best use of their units.

2) Installation - I live in Los Angeles and worked with Ray to come directly to him for installation in Indio. Yes, I drove 2+ hours but I was convinced he would be the best person to do it and the experience was exceptional. His workspace was spotless and he worked quickly and carefully to install the new unit. He had super comfortable space for me to work while waiting. He made sure every detail was to my liking and even followed up the next day to make sure I was happy and if I had any questions.

3) Usage - my 2-hour drive back to LA was a great experience using CarPlay because it worked wonderfully. I had maps, music and did 3 conference calls easily navigating the device and had no issues. Ray had given me a full walk through before departing so there were no concerns. The back up camera works like usual. The audio is still very crisp and clear and with no problems.

4) Start-up time from ignition - I have read a few posts commenting on the longer than expected start up time of the unit from turn over the ignition. Personally, this is not an issue to me. It feels marginally longer but frankly, I don't care. I have a beautiful, modern interface that works to my liking and brings my 2015 vehicle into the modern age. Every time I watch it boot up I smile because I know what is coming - a great driving experience.

I'll post more soon and share some pics but wanted to get this up for everyone. I can't say enough about Ray and the great care he takes to make sure everyone is happy. If I had any concerns about opening up my dashboard and installing something - he made it all disappear wtih his professionalism and genuine care.

Best,
Chris
I want to echo most of these comments. I know if you are reading this thread you are just seeing issues people are having. These are minor in comparison to the benefits and to be expected to some extent with an Android implementation. I am very pleased overall.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
OK guys, this is what I just received from my supplier regarding the park assist...

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK guys, this is what I just received from my supplier regarding the park assist...
Thanks for the update Ray! Definitely leaves a few questions though:
  • Were you able to get clarification on whether this mod would disable the parking sensors entirely or just the ability to enable with the side button?
  • I don't suppose they had a recommendation for how to connect those two wires together, did they? Just want to make sure I don't ruin the wire loom if I move forward with the mod.
Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check the AutoPlay settings for Charging Mode...set it to Strong
I changed the settings to strong charging mode day 1 of the install. I have also tried a few different charging cables but still no luck. My phone discharges faster than it can charge when connected to the head unit USB. Anyone here charging a Samsung Note 8 using the head unit's USB and able to get a decent charge?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone experienced audio choppiness with CarPlay? Seems to come on after a few minutes. If I stop and restart it seems to go away but it’s happened in overcast (podcasts app) as well as Apple Music.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Has anyone experienced audio choppiness with CarPlay? Seems to come on after a few minutes. If I stop and restart it seems to go away but it’s happened in overcast (podcasts app) as well as Apple Music.
Try updating the software in the AutoPlay app settings...this should fix the audio choppiness.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I changed the settings to strong charging mode day 1 of the install. I have also tried a few different charging cables but still no luck. My phone discharges faster than it can charge when connected to the head unit USB. Anyone here charging a Samsung Note 8 using the head unit's USB and able to get a decent charge?

I'm not familiar with the Samsung phones but my iPhone seems to charge just fine when I have it connected. Maybe someone else who has Samsung can chime in and help with this one...

·
Registered
167 Posts
You’re not alone.

somtimes I can go hours without it happening and sometimes it starts within 5 minutes. The screen is also laggy until I exit CarPlay

IOS 13.1.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good job Ray on the self park feature. I never used it but I’m glad it’s back!

My note 10 plus can hold a charge all day. It might just be older Android phones having to work harder versus newer models. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade? FYI the android unit is light years better than factory! Note 10 has a great power mgmt tool. If you need Instagram, Facebook, waze, linked in, tik tok, MySpace notifications plus 100 texts an hour and google maps running it’s really more the phone battery versus the headunit not charging enough.

Ray can explore with the manufacturer. But realize we’re all 1st adopters who are on the cutting edge of technology!

If you have a hotspot or data card the head unit doesn’t need a phone connected to it for music or google maps it works on its own!

Nothing is perfect but these units are even better than in control touch! Waze and google maps are so much better.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
Thanks for the update Ray! Definitely leaves a few questions though:
  • Were you able to get clarification on whether this mod would disable the parking sensors entirely or just the ability to enable with the side button?
  • I don't suppose they had a recommendation for how to connect those two wires together, did they? Just want to make sure I don't ruin the wire loom if I move forward with the mod.
Thanks!
No recommendation on how to connect the wires. However, he said that you will still hear the sound alert from the park sensors but the park sensor button on the side will not work.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
You’re not alone.

somtimes I can go hours without it happening and sometimes it starts within 5 minutes. The screen is also laggy until I exit CarPlay

IOS 13.1.
Try closing out any apps on your phone and the Android screen that may be running in the background.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Try closing out any apps on your phone and the Android screen that may be running in the background.
I agree with this. I only experience this issue (only happened twice) when I have a bunch of apps open. I think its an apple issue not trying to process too much to Carplay, not the unit. I could be wrong. Mine is pretty stable now with ios 13.1 and disconnecting the RR bluetooth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No recommendation on how to connect the wires. However, he said that you will still hear the sound alert from the park sensors but the park sensor button on the side will not work.
Ray, I'm willing to make this trade. I never disable the park sensor, but would like to regain the park assist. What is the process for getting/modifying the wiring loom?

Is there any update on enabling bluetooth connection from the Android unit to the Range Rover?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Ray, I'm willing to make this trade. I never disable the park sensor, but would like to regain the park assist. What is the process for getting/modifying the wiring loom?

Is there any update on enabling bluetooth connection from the Android unit to the Range Rover?
Let me just say that I don't recommend this modification if you don't have experience doing anything like this...but if you just insist on having the park assist feature then the process is in the photos that I recently posted. This obviously would require you to cut the wires pictured on the harness and connect them either by soldering them or use some type of wire connector. As far as the bluetooth connection from the Android unit to the Range Rover, that's not possible at this time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good job Ray on the self park feature. I never used it but I’m glad it’s back!

My note 10 plus can hold a charge all day. It might just be older Android phones having to work harder versus newer models. Maybe it’s time for an upgrade? FYI the android unit is light years better than factory! Note 10 has a great power mgmt tool. If you need Instagram, Facebook, waze, linked in, tik tok, MySpace notifications plus 100 texts an hour and google maps running it’s really more the phone battery versus the headunit not charging enough.

Ray can explore with the manufacturer. But realize we’re all 1st adopters who are on the cutting edge of technology!

If you have a hotspot or data card the head unit doesn’t need a phone connected to it for music or google maps it works on its own!

Nothing is perfect but these units are even better than in control touch! Waze and google maps are so much better.
Thanks for the reply mark1107. From my understanding, the Note 10 has a bigger battery than the Note 8. But battery size isn't an issue. My battery is fine. My phone is telling me that I am charging slow when I'm connected to the unit. When I disconnect the charger after say 30 minutes, I'm at far less power than when I started. I like using Android Auto and the only way to connect to Android Auto is to connect through the unit's USB and the included wifi dongle. I can mirror the phone to the unit via wifi but the wifi is slow and the unit frequently flashes a warning that the wifi is slow.

As for hotspot, I have that on my phone. I don't really want to pay extra for separate data just for the head unit. My favorite music service is SiriusXM. I can load the app to the unit but SiriusXM only allows playback on certain devices. The app version is somehow blocked from working on these units. I also tried playing SiriusXM on Chrome and Opera browsers on the unit. The browser based version will not work properly. Most of the links will not work. SiriusXM just won't work without running through Android Auto. All the more reason why I need better charging. The battery decreases at a fast pace even when I keep the phone's display off. The fast discharging only happens when connected to the unit. I tried running a y adapter from the phone where I had the charger connected to one side and the unit USB connected to the other but that didn't work. The phone wouldn't charge at all using that method nor would the unit USB recognize the phone connection when both sides were connected.

I am tempted to upgrade my phone but I fear I will have the same issue. I would hate for that to happen when the only reason I would update my phone at this point is for the charging issue.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I've contacted the supplier regarding this issue so hopefully I will have an answer for you guys before you have to purchase new phones or make any changes. The iPhones seem to charge just fine when using CarPlay but it seems like the Samsung phones require more power to charge when using Android Auto...or maybe it's just a software issue with the Samsung phones. Anyway, I will update you guys when I get more information on this.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I've contacted the supplier regarding this issue so hopefully I will have an answer for you guys before you have to purchase new phones or make any changes. The iPhones seem to charge just fine when using CarPlay but it seems like the Samsung phones require more power to charge when using Android Auto...or maybe it's just a software issue with the Samsung phones. Anyway, I will update you guys when I get more information on this.
Update...My supplier spoke with the engineer and was told that the USB dongle was mainly designed for iPhone and CarPlay. Although it can do Android Auto, the Samsung/Android Auto phones require more power to charge than the iPhone does. He suggested trying a powered USB hub for the Samsung phones. He also suggested that I stop offering this CarPlay dongle for FREE and only offer it to iPhone users for an additional cost. I'm sure you Android guys won't like that so let's just try to figure this thing out together.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
iPhone/CarPlay users...

After updating to iOS 13, the call audio routing now defaults to the CarPlay Box instead of the factory Range Rover bluetooth when making or receiving a call...this causes you not to be able to hear the caller unless you manually select Range Rover on your iPhone for the call audio. This resulted in me forgetting the Range Rover bluetooth and now the call audio is through CarPlay using the OEM microphone and speakers. That seems to be working fine for now but I hope the call audio routing will be fixed in the next iOS update to route the calls through the factory bluetooth.

If you're still running iOS 12 then you should be fine with call audio routing set to bluetooth headset...this will route your calls through the Range Rover factory bluetooth for caller audio.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts