RangeRovers.net Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, I agree, this unit would really be something special if it worked seamlessly with the OEM functionality. They should have configured it to pair to the OEM bluetooth in the vehicle but I actually like having a wired connection. I will keep pressing them on this issue because I feel this Android unit deserves the attention and has the potential to be even greater than it already is. I would be willing to pay even more if they can get all the bugs worked out.
The more I play with it, the more sense it in makes sense to just plug it in. Carplay kills the battery so its wise to have it plugged into a power source to charge, so you may as well just run the Android USB out and plug into that to get the charge and Carplay via hardwire. I did find a trick (maybe it was known) so that Wireless Carplay doesn't always try to autoconnect (which can be annoying). If you select "Wireless Carplay" in the Autoplay app, but then change the connection type to "Manual" from Automatic, you can still have Wireless Carplay but it doesn't try to continuously auto-connect. Instead, if you want to launch Wireless Carplay, you just go into the iPhone bluetooth settings and connect to AutoPlay. This will initiate the wireless connection.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
OK guys, here's an update from my supplier...the engineers told him that the unit is configured for the side buttons to work with either the park sensors OR park assist...but you have to choose one or the other. He sent me a picture of the harness to show how it connects. However, I looked at the harness on mine and I can't seem to find that gray wire. He also said that the other buttons on the side are accessible through the touch screen menu and it was just too difficult to configure those side buttons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the update, Ray – I don't recall seeing that gray wire either. I'll see if I can pull the unit and take a look after work.

Their comment about the other side buttons being too hard to configure seems odd though because all of my other side buttons are configured and working. Parking Sensor button; Camera button; Mode button; Media button; Phone button and Nav buttons...they all work. It's just the park assist that's missing. So not sure what they mean there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Thanks for the update, Ray – I don't recall seeing that gray wire either. I'll see if I can pull the unit and take a look after work.

Their comment about the other side buttons being too hard to configure seems odd though because all of my other side buttons are configured and working. Parking Sensor button; Camera button; Mode button; Media button; Phone button and Nav buttons...they all work. It's just the park assist that's missing. So not sure what they mean there.
That's strange...the only side buttons that work on my unit is the Home button, Parking sensor button, Power button and the Mode button. My Settings button, Nav button, Phone button and Media button does not function at all...I have to access those from the touch screen. However, let's keep in mind that I have one of the very first units sold here in the US as far as I know of...so I think they have had time to improve some things since I purchased my unit back in May of this year. The supplier actually just told me to cut back on ordering so many units for right now because they are working to make improvements on this unit. He also asked me to send him notes on what I would like to see improved on the unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ray, here's a video of the buttons working in my installation. All of the buttons work properly, except for Park Assist. The curious thing is that the signal is being received by the Android head unit, as you can hear the OEM beep.

Regarding the option to enable either the parking sensors or park assist, if by parking sensors they mean the option to disable the parking sensors sound by pressing the button, but it would still display the parking sensor and backup camera on reverse, then I would make that trade. If, however, they mean that the parking sensor and backup camera would not display on reverse, then I would not give that up. I never press the button to dismiss the sound, and thus would rather enable the park assist if it were as simple as choosing a different wire.

Before I take mine apart, can anyone confirm if this is indeed an option on our wiring loom?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Ray, here's a video of the buttons working in my installation. All of the buttons work properly, except for Park Assist. The curious thing is that the signal is being received by the Android head unit, as you can hear the OEM beep.

Regarding the option to enable either the parking sensors or park assist, if by parking sensors they mean the option to disable the parking sensors sound by pressing the button, but it would still display the parking sensor and backup camera on reverse, then I would make that trade. If, however, they mean that the parking sensor and backup camera would not display on reverse, then I would not give that up. I never press the button to dismiss the sound, and thus would rather enable the park assist if it were as simple as choosing a different wire.

Before I take mine apart, can anyone confirm if this is indeed an option on our wiring loom?

I just finished speaking with the supplier over WeChat and he said that if the customer insist then he can have his engineers write up instructions for him to send to us for modifying the harness to get he park assist to work. Another option would be to send your harness back to them for modification if you insist on having that feature work. However, he said that he doesn't recommend that because you will loose the park sensor function. I'm not sure if he means that you will loose the beeping but I will try to have him clarify that the next time we chat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ll have some time tomorrow afternoon to pull mine out and have a look. I’ll let you know what I find.

He also asked me to send him notes on what I would like to see improved on the unit.
Here’s my take...

“Critical Items” To Resolve:
  • Address the AutoPark issue
  • Address the dim AC controls
Would Be So Awesome If...” Items:
  • Ability for entire head unit to pair to OEM Bluetooth for all audio.
  • Ability to customize launcher screen. Since most of us don’t seem to be using the core Android features, the main sections and buttons on launcher screen (no matter which theme) are pretty useless. Being able to customize a quadrant to launch the CarPlay interface or take you back to OEM would be sweet. In a perfect world, we'd be able to customize a button to take you straight to a specific OEM interface section, but I'm willing to bet it's probably not possible to 'deep link' into a sub-section of the OEM unit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey all!

amyone else running IOS 13 beta with the new car play?

ill occasionally have 2 issues.

1) when running maps and music my music will sometimes adjust volume on its own. I doNt notice this when a podcast or XM radio is playing. It’s not super obvious but I can pick up on it at times.

2) this may be a beta thing with IOS 13 but when in the CarPlay setting (wireless And wired ) I’ll get a stutter in the music and the whole system becomes somewhat slow to respond (pressing a button takes a second or two to register, etc).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ray, I have one minor issue with mine that I thought I would share. As you know, when in reverse the parking sensors come on and under that parking icon a small orange indicator lights up. This deactivates once you exceed 10 mph. Well mine does deactivate sometimes and other time it does not. I am trying to pinpoint the conditions in which it doesn't deactivate. It is just the light on the Android unit that is not deactivating as the OEM sensors are actually deactivated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey all!

1) when running maps and music my music will sometimes adjust volume on its own. I doNt notice this when a podcast or XM radio is playing. It’s not super obvious but I can pick up on it at times.

2) this may be a beta thing with IOS 13 but when in the CarPlay setting (wireless And wired ) I’ll get a stutter in the music and the whole system becomes somewhat slow to respond (pressing a button takes a second or two to register, etc).
I just updated to iOS 13. First off, it is a huge upgrade to Carplay. I am really enjoying learning and using Carplay. The Siri voice messaging is flawless even with window and sunroof open. I am not sure which mic is picking up the commands (OEM or Android), but I have had zero issues. I stuffed my Android mic between the steering wheel and the dash.

As for the first point above, I have actually noticed the volume dip or raise very slightly at times for no reason. I thought it just might be me! I did not notice if it was in parallel with maps running. I know I was listening to Spotify. During maps navigation the volume will drop dramatically for the voice prompts but I assume you and I are experiencing the same issue...a very faint change. It is almost like the volume is speed sensitive.

As for your second point, I haven't had any issues. I am running Carplay on a 1 year old iphone XR.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just updated to iOS 13. First off, it is a huge upgrade to Carplay. I am really enjoying learning and using Carplay. The Siri voice messaging is flawless even with window and sunroof open. I am not sure which mic is picking up the commands (OEM or Android), but I have had zero issues. I stuffed my Android mic between the steering wheel and the dash.

As for the first point above, I have actually noticed the volume dip or raise very slightly at times for no reason. I thought it just might be me! I did not notice if it was in parallel with maps running. I know I was listening to Spotify. During maps navigation the volume will drop dramatically for the voice prompts but I assume you and I are experiencing the same issue...a very faint change. It is almost like the volume is speed sensitive.

S for your second point, I haven't had any issues. I am running Carplay on a 1 year old iphone XR.
Haha. Exactly ! It reminds me of the dynamic volume I had in my bmw M3 that would very subtly adjust volume when accelerating or slowing down.

You really have to listen for it.

copy. Let me know if you have any laggy issues. I’m in a relatively new iPhone Max so I think the hardware is fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ray, I have one minor issue with mine that I thought I would share. As you know, when in reverse the parking sensors come on and under that parking icon a small orange indicator lights up. This deactivates once you exceed 10 mph. Well mine does deactivate sometimes and other time it does not. I am trying to pinpoint the conditions in which it doesn't deactivate. It is just the light on the Android unit that is not deactivating as the OEM sensors are actually deactivated.
I've noticed this, too. I think the pattern is that if you stay on the OEM screen the entire time (when they activate and deactivate), the status light functions as it should. I think it's when you are on the Android / CarPlay side when they activate or deactivate, that the button status light doesn't always update accordingly.

All in all not a huge deal, but could be an issue if you pull into a parking space thinking they are on when they might not be and end up tapping the car (or wall) in front of you. 😬

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've noticed this, too. I think the pattern is that if you stay on the OEM screen the entire time (when they activate and deactivate), the status light functions as it should. I think it's when you are on the Android / CarPlay side when they activate or deactivate, that the button status light doesn't always update accordingly.

All in all not a huge deal, but could be an issue if you pull into a parking space thinking they are on when they might not be and end up tapping the car (or wall) in front of you. 😬
I think you are correct. I just checked at lunch and the light goes out if on the OEM screen and surpass 10mph before Android kicks in. If not, it will stay on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Hey all!

Go to the settings in your AutoPlay app and update the software.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok for anyone running iOS 13 beta make sure you’re in the latest beta they released last night.

I notice a more stable CarPlay performance (no stutter ) and also the volume seems to stay at a constant output within the music app.

also the ability to select artists and albums within the music app

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ok for anyone running iOS 13 beta make sure you’re in the latest beta they released last night.

I notice a more stable CarPlay performance (no stutter ) and also the volume seems to stay at a constant output within the music app.

also the ability to select artists and albums within the music app
I updated last night so that makes sense why mine was working well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I haven't paid much attention to that indicator but I think I remember seeing that orange light above the parking sensor icon. The sensors seem to activate and deactivate on their own just fine but maybe there is just a delay for the light to go out on the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got it installed tonight. Videos made it easy.

<edited> Dealing with Android isn't my favorite thing in the world and ultimately it looks as if the Plex app for 7.1 doesn't work, but I worked around that with Plex for Kodi.

CarPlay is awesome and the screen is beautiful. I'm very much looking forward to following updates as they happen and really appreciate you being advocates for us early adopters, Ray.

Install took about 2 hours - pretty leisurely, too. Still have to do the surround and put the leather back on the front dash but it's in and working!

101 - 120 of 144 Posts
About this Discussion
143 Replies
20 Participants
pherplexed
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing