RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ray, if you don't intend to use the nav built into the new system, is it required to install the included GPS antenna? I assume the native OEM nav will still work because you still have a connection to the shark fin on the roof and android and car play use the phone GPS.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Ray, if you don't intend to use the nav built into the new system, is it required to install the included GPS antenna? I assume the native OEM nav will still work because you still have a connection to the shark fin on the roof and android and car play use the phone GPS.
No, you don't have to install the included GPS antenna. The OEM Nav still works just fine. I installed mine but I'm always on CarPlay so it's really useless because CarPlay uses the phone data. If you don't plan on ever using the Android navigation then don't bother installing the included GPS antenna. I use the OEM Navigation for backup if I'm going to an area that I'm not familiar with because the phone can sometimes loose signal. I also installed a SIM card but once again, it's useless because I'm always on CarPlay. Plus you always have the option of connecting the Android unit to your iPhone hotspot or wifi to get data.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I find that my iPhone often has poor reception and GPS lock. I've read some speculation that it could be due to the elements of the heated windshield. In any case, I have noticed a marked difference in reception in my L405. I was wondering if it's possible to use the car's shark fin GPS antenna with the Android unit? Would it be possible to split the antenna lead to support both the OEM nav unit and the Android unit so that I could take advantage of the native Android navigation apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc.) vs. CarPlay? I'd like to avoid having to mount the included GPS antenna.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I find that my iPhone often has poor reception and GPS lock. I've read some speculation that it could be due to the elements of the heated windshield. In any case, I have noticed a marked difference in reception in my L405. I was wondering if it's possible to use the car's shark fin GPS antenna with the Android unit? Would it be possible to split the antenna lead to support both the OEM nav unit and the Android unit so that I could take advantage of the native Android navigation apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc.) vs. CarPlay? I'd like to avoid having to mount the included GPS antenna.
I don't know the answer to that one but it seems like that could be possible. Your local car audio shops might be able to answer that for you because they are always doing custom work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know the answer to that one but it seems like that could be possible. Your local car audio shops might be able to answer that for you because they are always doing custom work.
Could you post a photo of the GPS cable terminal that plugs into the Android unit? Is there a separate OEM GPS cable that plugs into the OEM head unit or is it part of the harness? If it's separate, could you post a photo of what that cable terminal looks like? Understand if you can't (i.e., don't disassemble your unit for it). Just trying to assemble the parts in advance of my unit arriving. Thanks.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Could you post a photo of the GPS cable terminal that plugs into the Android unit? Is there a separate OEM GPS cable that plugs into the OEM head unit or is it part of the harness? If it's separate, could you post a photo of what that cable terminal looks like? Understand if you can't (i.e., don't disassemble your unit for it). Just trying to assemble the parts in advance of my unit arriving. Thanks.
You can see the Android GPS connection in the install videos that are posted on my website. I think the OEM GPS antenna plugs into the DVD SatNav unit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

This is the GPS connection...and the other connector with the red cap is for the WiFi antenna

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
08312019w84it ...this coupon code has been extended until September 3rd

2019w84it ...this is the new coupon code starting September 3rd...will end on December 31st

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few questions regarding the unit -
1. How is the audio quality compared to the stock unit, I have the upgraded meridian sound system. Love the sound quality on that
2. What is the speaker shipped with it for?
3. Can we use the OEM Mic for bluetooth or we have to use the aftermarket one and how is the quality of the aftermarket mic
4. What is the install time and approximate install cost from a professional
5. I have 360 camera on my car, would they work on the unit and be used as the default view on reverse?
6. How is the response time of the unit with google maps?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have a few questions regarding the unit -
1. How is the audio quality compared to the stock unit, I have the upgraded meridian sound system. Love the sound quality on that
2. What is the speaker shipped with it for?
3. Can we use the OEM Mic for bluetooth or we have to use the aftermarket one and how is the quality of the aftermarket mic
4. What is the install time and approximate install cost from a professional
5. I have 360 camera on my car, would they work on the unit and be used as the default view on reverse?
6. How is the response time of the unit with google maps?

Thank you very much!
1. The audio quality is not affected at all...it's still the OEM sound system that you're using.
2. The small speaker is only for the Android navigation voice. Your OEM navigation voice will still work as it always has through the factory speakers.
3. The OEM mic is still used if you have your phone connected to the factory bluetooth. You only use the android mic if you are connected to the Android bluetooth.
4. Install should take around 4-6 hours if you do it on your own...I don't know what a professional would charge.
5. Your OEM cameras still work the same as they always have
6. Please watch the videos on my website to see response time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Do we still have the auto park option since it's on the audio system part that is being removed
My L405 does not have auto park so someone else that has that option might be able to answer that question for you. I would guess that it still works just the same as it always did but I'm not sure on that because I have no experience with auto park. Do you even use auto park? That would be a useless feature even if I had it in my L405. I take pride in driving and parking myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My L405 does not have auto park so someone else that has that option might be able to answer that question for you. I would guess that it still works just the same as it always did but I'm not sure on that because I have no experience with auto park. Do you even use auto park? That would be a useless feature even if I had it in my L405. I take pride in driving and parking myself.
My Sport has autopark equipped although I'll admit I've never used it. It's mostly a question about resale-ability. On mine, auto-park is initiated by one of the side buttons on the left of the screen - one of the parts that is removed by the wider screen in this mod. Are those side "buttons" still accessible via software in this mod?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
My Sport has autopark equipped although I'll admit I've never used it. It's mostly a question about resale-ability. On mine, auto-park is initiated by one of the side buttons on the left of the screen - one of the parts that is removed by the wider screen in this mod. Are those side "buttons" still accessible via software in this mod?

Thanks again!
If you're concerned about resale-ability then just put the factory unit back in before selling the vehicle. However, the Android unit might just help with resale-ability if the right person is looking at the vehicle. The full screen on the Android unit is just an option in the settings. Please watch the video and you will see how to change that setting and have the side buttons shown on the side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The OEM mic is still used if you have your phone connected to the factory bluetooth. You only use the android mic if you are connected to the Android bluetooth.
Just to add to Ray's comment about the mic. If you are using the OEM bluetooth system to make phone calls, you'd be using the OEM mic. But, if you're using CarPlay, I believe it uses the Android mic to pickup Siri commands.

Only reason I think that is b/c for the short time I've had to play with the unit, at first Siri wasn't able to hear any of my commands. Turns out the Android privacy settings had been inadvertedtly set to deny microphone access to the CarPlay app. Once I turned that back on, Siri was able to hear commands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to weigh in on Ray's comment about the mic. If you are using the OEM bluetooth system to make phone calls, you'd be using the OEM mic. But, if you're using CarPlay, I believe it uses the Android mic to pickup Siri commands.

Only reason I think that is b/c for the short time I've had to play with the unit, at first Siri wasn't able to hear any of my commands. Turns out the Android privacy settings had been inadvertedtly set to deny microphone access to the CarPlay app. Once I turned that back on, Siri was able to hear commands.
This is a key bit of info. I was under the impression the Speaker/Mic were for Android Nav ONLY and nothing else. I guess I'll have to run at least the Mic as I do plan to leverage CarPlay.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
CarPlay actually seems to use the OEM mic or the phone mic for Siri because the phone is connected to the OEM bluetooth. The AutoPlay app for CarPlay has a setting for the microphone...select CAR instead of BOX...I covered this in the last video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only time I have heard the Android head unit speaker is when I was using Google Maps without using Android Auto. The Android head unit uses the vehicle's speakers when connected to Google Maps thorough Android Auto. Make sure to pay attention to W84IT's video. You'll need to change the original head unit sound to auxiliary. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure that out because I didn't pay attention to the video.

Basically, if you install this system, you will have three Bluetooth options - connect to the original factory head unit side, The Android side or both. I'm not sure which side picks up a call. I just connect through the original factory unit side.

I would imagine the unit would cost somewhere around five hundred for a professional install but I haven't been to stereo shop in years. I think anyone can install this system, just pay attention to the PowerfulUK video on YouTube. I think the only tools I used were a T20 and T8 bits. I did carefully use a screwdriver to tuck way the GPS antenna wire between the dash and the pillar. I just stuffed the 4G antenna behind the unit. I ran the microphone wire to the center in the steering column rubber. It is almost invisible sitting there. The USB cable is in the lower glove box. I'm going to add a USB hub in the future.

This is a pretty good unit. This is the way to go if you ever thought about upgrading or want Android Auto. I've only had the unit for about a week now and have a lot more playing around and learning to do but I'm happy with it.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is the USB charging speed. For some reason the charging is slow for my Android phone. That may be a cable issue in my end though.

41 - 60 of 140 Posts
About this Discussion
139 Replies
19 Participants
ChrisA405
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing