Range Rovers Forum banner

461 - 471 of 471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Thanks Ray. I think I'll pretty much only ever use the Android Auto and use Google Maps in Android Auto. I'll also pair my Android phone to the original Bluetooth, as you have advised. From what I understand, that will mean that the navigation voice prompts will come through the car speakers?

In that case, will I need to install the new microphone? I assume this is just used if you want to use the Android headunit Bluetooth?
I don't use an Android phone so I don't know if the navigation voice prompts will be heard through the car speakers over the Bluetooth connection. However, I do know that that voice prompts can be heard over the car speakers when using the AUX audio connection. I have my iPhone connected to the factory Bluetooth but the navigation voice prompts in CarPlay are not heard...the CarPlay music audio is just fine over Bluetooth.

No you don't need to install the included microphone but I always recommend installing it anyway because you might actually want to use some of the Android functions at some point.

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8
6 Posts
@mark1107 I agree it could be an issue with the OEM equipment. However, it could also be an issue with noise on the line-level output of the Android head unit. I don't think it is the vehicle amplifier because the noise is not present on other inputs. Rather than rely on the analog output of the Android head unit and analog OEM auxiliary input of the car, I'm thinking a digital-to-digital connection (i.e., Bluetooth) would mitigate this issue entirely.

@ez2dealwit Thanks for your suggestion. I don't have anything plugged into the 3.5mm jack (though I considered testing a separate source connected to it). I did test connecting my iPhone to the USB port in the arm rest and it played properly though the "iPod" source without any noise. It is possible that even with nothing else plugged in, all of the wiring connected to the OEM auxiliary input, including now the wiring harness of the Android head unit, could be introducing noise to the analog input before amplification.

Here is a video of the noise when switching between inputs on the OEM screen. The volume is turned up, but the noise is noticeable even at lower levels. As you can see, the noise is only present when the Auxiliary input is selected.

Is this still present on the Android 10 units with the newer hardware?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Is this still present on the Android 10 units with the newer hardware?
The AUX noise is still present in the Android 10 unit as well but it's not as bad as the Android 7.1 unit was. You can actually just use the factory Bluetooth for music audio from CarPlay when using the AutoPlay dongle. That's the way that I currently have mine connected and there's no noise at all.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
144 Posts
Hey Ray @W84IT …is there a way to factory reset the CarPlay dongle? Ever since the box update a couple of weeks ago, AutoPlay makes the initial wireless connection to CarPlay but it just sits on the “Connecting..” screen and never boots into CarPlay. It works fine when plugged in but not wireless. Wireless had been working flawlessly since day one. I have tried forgetting the autoplay Bluetooth connection several times. Can you revert to an earlier version of the dongle? I’m stumped.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey Ray…is there a way to factory reset the CarPlay dongle? Ever since the box update a couple of weeks ago, AutoPlay makes the initial wireless connection to CarPlay but it just sits on the “Connecting..” screen and never boots into CarPlay. It works fine when plugged into but not wireless. It has worked flawlessly since day one. I have tried forgetting the autoplay Bluetooth connection several times. Can you revert to an earlier version of the dongle? I’m stumped.
Interested as well. My carplay used to connect automatically after turning the car on and letting the system boot up. Now I have to go into my iphone > settings > car play > toggle off then on for the carplay to cue a connection attempt. Only thing I did that could have effected is taking the main battery out to top it off then put it back in....Doubt this would be the culprit. Tired unplugging/replguggin dongle, forgetting/rejoining bluetooth connection, flip the wireless/wired carplay setting on the device back and forth. No dice.

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover HSE V6 Supercharged
55 Posts
Interested as well. My carplay used to connect automatically after turning the car on and letting the system boot up. Now I have to go into my iphone > settings > car play > toggle off then on for the carplay to cue a connection attempt. Only thing I did that could have effected is taking the main battery out to top it off then put it back in....Doubt this would be the culprit. Tired unplugging/replguggin dongle, forgetting/rejoining bluetooth connection, flip the wireless/wired carplay setting on the device back and forth. No dice.
same issue here!

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Hey Ray @W84IT …is there a way to factory reset the CarPlay dongle? Ever since the box update a couple of weeks ago, AutoPlay makes the initial wireless connection to CarPlay but it just sits on the “Connecting..” screen and never boots into CarPlay. It works fine when plugged in but not wireless. Wireless had been working flawlessly since day one. I have tried forgetting the autoplay Bluetooth connection several times. Can you revert to an earlier version of the dongle? I’m stumped.
You need to update the software version and the box version in the AutoPlay app settings menu...at the very bottom of the AutoPlay app settings menu, you will see the software update on the bottom left and the box update will be on the bottom right...also make sure that your iPhone has the latest iOS version

·
Registered
144 Posts
You need to update the software version and the box version in the AutoPlay app settings menu...at the very bottom of the AutoPlay app settings menu, you will see the software update on the bottom left and the box update will be on the bottom right...also make sure that your iPhone has the latest iOS version
That is what broke it. I updated the box and software a couple of weeks ago and now it doesn’t work. Is there any way to undo or hard reset the box?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
That is what broke it. I updated the box and software a couple of weeks ago and now it doesn’t work. Is there any way to undo or hard reset the box?
I have an older version of the AutoPlay apk that I could email to you but I suggest you just wait on the next update. The older AutoPlay software version that I have saved on a thumb drive is a couple years old and it will probably present a different issue due to the software on your iPhone being updated since then as well. With that being said, I suggest you guys just wait for the next AutoPlay software update...keep in mind that there are 2 different updates that you need to do in the AutoPlay app settings...1 is the software version and the other is the box version. Always select "Check Updates" again after you have completed any update because the box version doesn't always seem to update directly to the latest version. You also need to make sure that your iPhone is running the latest iOS version.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an older version of the AutoPlay apk that I could email to you but I suggest you just wait on the next update. The older AutoPlay software version that I have saved on a thumb drive is a couple years old and it will probably present a different issue due to the software on your iPhone being updated since then as well. With that being said, I suggest you guys just wait for the next AutoPlay software update...keep in mind that there are 2 different updates that you need to do in the AutoPlay app settings...1 is the software version and the other is the box version. Always select "Check Updates" again after you have completed any update because the box version doesn't always seem to update directly to the latest version. You also need to make sure that your iPhone is running the latest iOS version.
As usual Ray, thanks for always trying to provide prompt help. I assume you only have contacts with the hardware mfg, not the AutoPlay app developer or box mfg. If you do, please let them know there is an issue with the latest updates. I can't find the developer name anywhere or I would do it. As for updating, I did notice a little note on the last box upgrade notification at the bottom of the app settings screen that mentioned something about a wireless carplay patch. I don't recall the message. I went through with the upgrade assuming it would help, but maybe that was a mistake.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

461 - 471 of 471 Posts