Range Rovers Forum banner

421 - 440 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
15 Posts
Hi Ray,

Will google maps work without having a phone in the car? In Canada, we have HUGE data costs on our phones. I believe your unit comes with an external GPS that would negate the need for a phone connection to the head unit.

Thank you!
Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am using Google Maps in my car on an internal SIM card from Rogers. No phone connection. Costs me $10 per month. GPS has nothing to do with data consumption. This is how much data I am using per day exclusively on Google Maps, driving approximately 2-3 hours every day.

Sun Jan 03 WI 11.45 MB -
Mon Jan 04 WI 22.32 MB -
Tue Jan 05 WI 24.92 MB -
Wed Jan 06 WI 24.30 MB -
Thu Jan 07 WI 29.97 MB -
Fri Jan 08 WI 15.80 MB -
Sat Jan 09 WI 12.03 MB -
Sun Jan 10 WI 6.15 MB -
Mon Jan 11 WI 24.63 MB -
Tue Jan 12 WI 15.92 MB -
Wed Jan 13 WI 12.97 MB -
Thu Jan 14 WI 8.87 MB -
Fri Jan 15 WI 36.13 MB -
Sat Jan 16 WI 13.18 MB -
Sun Jan 17 WI 30.53 MB -
Mon Jan 18 WI 18.07 MB -
Tue Jan 19 WI 16.28 MB -
Wed Jan 20 WI 16.32 MB -
Thu Jan 21 WI 18.67 MB -
Fri Jan 22 WI 34.14 MB -
Sat Jan 23 WI 17.82 MB -
Sun Jan 24 WI 17.50 MB -
Mon Jan 25 WI 27.68 MB -
Tue Jan 26 WI 21.14 MB -
Wed Jan 27 WI 29.41 MB -
Thu Jan 28 WI 27.92 MB -
Fri Jan 29 WI 30.44 MB -
Sat Jan 30 WI 17.22 MB -
Sun Jan 31 WI 19.83 MB -
Mon Feb 01 WI 20.15 MB -
Tue Feb 02 WI 20.31 MB -

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
15 Posts
I am using Google Maps in my car on an internal SIM card from Rogers. No phone connection. Costs me $10 per month. GPS has nothing to do with data consumption. This is how much data I am using per day exclusively on Google Maps, driving approximately 2-3 hours every day.
Sometimes I drive where there is no data available though. Having a primary (or backup) GPS antenna would solve this problem. Other units (which are identical) come with a GPS antenna, microphone, and speaker. Ray's website does not list the additional components that come with the unit from what I can see.

There is another dealer in Ontario that sells the exact same unit, but I am unsure if they provide the additional items.

Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why do you think a GPS antenna would give you data when you drive where there is no data available?

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
15 Posts
Why do you think a GPS antenna would give you data when you drive where there is no data available?
A GPS antenna will not provide me with data. A GPS antenna would provide offline (no data) GPS use. What I do not know is that is Google Maps will work with ONLY a GPS antenna.

Think of it as a replacement for the OEM NAV where data is not required for GPS use.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No, Google Maps will definitively NOT work without a data connection (or as you put it GPS only). If you want to go that way, you need to find a map app that works offline.

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Hi Ray,

Will google maps work without having a phone in the car? In Canada, we have HUGE data costs on our phones. I believe your unit comes with an external GPS that would negate the need for a phone connection to the head unit.

Thank you!
Dan
Yes, the Google Maps app installed on the Android unit will work without your phone. However, you will need to install a SIM card in the Android unit or use a portable hotspot for data connection. You will also need to install the included GPS antenna. I have a video on my YouTube channel that shows everything included with the unit...

The Android unit doesn't seem to work with all SIM cards so I use a NetGear hotspot from AT&T with my unlimited data plan. I keep it plugged into the usb port in the center console for power.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
15 Posts
No, Google Maps will definitively NOT work without a data connection (or as you put it GPS only). If you want to go that way, you need to find a map app that works offline.
Thank you. That is exactly what I needed to know.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover 5.0SC
15 Posts
Yes, the Google Maps app installed on the Android unit will work without your phone. However, you will need to install a SIM card in the Android unit or use a portable hotspot for data connection. You will also need to install the included GPS antenna.
Thanks Ray. Either way that requires data. I may look to upgrade in the future anyway.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
543 Posts
Google Maps can work offline, but you need to manually download the maps beforehand, and these would be for specific areas.

An an example, for your daily commute, download the map covering your town/city, and then that can be used offline. Of course, in offline mode, Maps can't re-route based on current traffic conditions, like road works, accidents, etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Curios if there is a way to use the factory / OEM microphone instead of the aftermarket one in the kit. Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Curios if there is a way to use the factory / OEM microphone instead of the aftermarket one in the kit. Thx
I looked into getting a splitter for the OEM mic. That way I could have it plugged into both the OEM unit and the new head unit. I couldn't find one. I bought a third part mic off of Amazon and so far it works fine.

I was able to get a splitter for the GPS so that both units are using the OEM GPS. That is also working fine.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
I looked into getting a splitter for the OEM mic. That way I could have it plugged into both the OEM unit and the new head unit. I couldn't find one. I bought a third part mic off of Amazon and so far it works fine.

I was able to get a splitter for the GPS so that both units are using the OEM GPS. That is also working fine.
Do you have a link that you purchased the GPS splitter from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can actually still use the OEM microphone if you pair your phone to the factory Bluetooth
I found that in order to use CarPlay, and respond back to Text Messages, I needed to use the Mic that is attached to the head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmmm...type1, type2 or type3? Where does it connect to the factory GPS?
Type 1. The male end plugs into the OEM, then one female end plugs into the DVD unit and the other female end plugs into the Android unit. I should mention that I have a 2013 Evoque with the Bosch unit :)

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
I found that in order to use CarPlay, and respond back to Text Messages, I needed to use the Mic that is attached to the head unit.
Try switching the call audio routing on your phone...Settings-Accessibility-Touch-Call Audio Routing-Bluetooth Headset

Then open the AutoPlay settings menu without your phone connected...scroll down the menu and select additional settings then select Bluetooth

Be sure to update the AutoPlay software as well.

421 - 440 of 444 Posts