RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The parking sensors seem to be always active and the reverse camera screen and tones seem to come up right away without the android screen being fully booted.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
New shipment just arrived today...3 units already sold and I now have 9 units left for the L405 Range Rover...5 resistive touch screens and 4 capacitive touch screens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just wanted to give a update to my 2016 L405 Supercharged android screen update. I received a new head unit from Ray about a week ago and have it installed...WOW...its amazing and really enhances my cars infotainment center beyond the original stock infotainment center. I've been able to utilize apple car play now on a huge screen and it definitely gives the car a more up to date feel. My infotainment center retains all its original functionality and Ray has been great helping me dial in the options I can utilize with the new screen. I would highly recommend installing one of these in your car if you are interested in being able to utilize a bigger and brighter screen with a lot more useful functionality than the older original version. I am still playing around with all the different options and various apps I can install and personalize on an android system and will give updates as I go.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just wanted to give a update to my 2016 L405 Supercharged android screen update. I received a new head unit from Ray about a week ago and have it installed...WOW...its amazing and really enhances my cars infotainment center beyond the original stock infotainment center. I've been able to utilize apple car play now on a huge screen and it definitely gives the car a more up to date feel. My infotainment center retains all its original functionality and Ray has been great helping me dial in the options I can utilize with the new screen. I would highly recommend installing one of these in your car if you are interested in being able to utilize a bigger and brighter screen with a lot more useful functionality than the older original version. I am still playing around with all the different options and various apps I can install and personalize on an android system and will give updates as I go.
That's awesome! I'm glad that I was able to help and it's good to know that you're enjoying the unit as much as I am.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thinking about getting one of these but have a couple of questions:
  • Does this screen automatically dim when the headlights come on? Can you dim the screen using the dimmer knob at night?
  • Do the steering wheel controls for next track and previous track still work?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All of your OEM functions remain the same except the dual view screen option.

Yes, the screen dims when you turn on the headlights...you can also manually adjust the brightness of the screen. The steering wheel controls still work when you're using the OEM display functions. However, the Android display functions are controlled from the touchscreen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Based on your posts and video, the 30-40 second boot time (every time) seems like the biggest drawback of this system. I have a couple questions:
1. Is there any way to enable fast boot mode (or plans to) given the correct continuous power is supplied to the unit?
2. From what I can tell, this system runs on Android 6. Several newer versions of Android are available. Does the manufacturer have any plans to update the OS and/or software? I've seen some posts discussing known software issues, with the expectation of a coming software update. Are any imminent and if so, what will it specifically address?
3. Related to 2, are the any big software issues that you hope are addressed quickly?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Based on your posts and video, the 30-40 second boot time (every time) seems like the biggest drawback of this system. I have a couple questions:
1. Is there any way to enable fast boot mode (or plans to) given the correct continuous power is supplied to the unit?
2. From what I can tell, this system runs on Android 6. Several newer versions of Android are available. Does the manufacturer have any plans to update the OS and/or software? I've seen some posts discussing known software issues, with the expectation of a coming software update. Are any imminent and if so, what will it specifically address?
3. Related to 2, are the any big software issues that you hope are addressed quickly?
1. Yes, the 30-40 second boot time takes a bit getting use to but it's not bad at all in my opinion. I think someone posted that the 2018+ OEM systems take around 60 seconds to boot. I don't think there is a way to enable faster boot time with the Android but I will be sure to ask my supplier.

2. This system runs on Android 7.1...yes, there are newer systems out there from other manufacturers that may run a newer version but good luck trusting the manufacturer if you decide to go that route. Another forum member went that route and had so many issues that he returned that unit and purchased one of my units. Maybe he will chime in on this thread to warn you guys because you might think that is my attempt to promote my product over others. I stand behind the unit that I sell because I've had it in my vehicle for a few months now and I'm very pleased with it. It's not perfect but it's much better than the OEM unit.

3. The software seems to run just as good as any other Android tablet device. The only issue that I've had with software was from the Apple CarPlay adapter. However, after a few software updates, the bugs seem to be worked out on that as well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
and here are the boot logo options...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can chime in on a few things as well.
1) the boot time really is not that bad. And it only takes a while if you are booting back into android...if you had the radio on when you turned off the car the radio starts playing sound from the radio station within about 5-10 seconds. The screen still takes 30-40 seconds to come up as it loads but you can hear music. Yes it takes just a little getting used to...however in my 2016 prior to putting the android head unit in it would take about 20-25 seconds for my OEM head unit to fully boot up so it’s really not that much longer.
2) please beware of purchasing from just any website selling the android for L405’s. I made this mistake and paid dearly for it. I received a unit I purchased off eBay that was for 2013-2016 L405’s and while the screen looked the same the internals where not and as soon as I installed it my car started throwing “camera errors” and taking 60-80 seconds to boot up. It was terrible and I had no support from the seller in China. I got lucky and found Ray and he suggested some things to try with my other head unit and none worked so finally I had to remove the whole thing, pay to send it back to China and hope for refund. I ended up purchasing from Ray because he was kind enough to try to help me with a unit I had purchased from someone else, he was easy to get on the phone for immediate support, and after I installed his head unit all my functionality came back. My car did not throw out camera errors and not let the AC work while booting up...his android unit worked perfectly right from the get go. I personally would recommend him because he is honest and wants you to get a great head unit to upgrade your Rover.
I love mine...it’s in apple car play almost 95% of the time and quite frankly I cannot believe Land Rover was putting out cars in 2014, 2015, 2016 that did not have any upgrade capability to include apple car play or android.
Yes there are some limitations, it comes with android 7.1. I find this to be a minor issue just because i’m so happy to use apple car play, Spotify, google maps, hands free calling that I honestly don’t know the difference and could care less that it’s not android 9.0.
I know Ray is keeping in constant contact with his supplier and I have asked that if the supplier ever sends out an update to the android OS that he please forward it on to me which i’m sure he will do.
Quite frankly having the new head unit has made my 2016 RR just that much better. The system looks better than the original and I can do so much more with it. It’s not perfect but it definitely is an upgrade over the original.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will have 10 L405 units available in about a week from now...5 capacitive touch screens and 5 resistive touch screens.

enter this coupon code on my website for the forum member discount...

08312019w84it

This discount code will end on 8/31/2019

The code isn't working.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here's what the kit looks like for the L405, L494 and L538...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Do you have an installation instructions?
No instructions manual but I have the install videos on my website which is actually better than a manual with installation instructions. I will also be posting a video to demo the full functionality of the unit soon.

21 - 40 of 140 Posts
About this Discussion
139 Replies
19 Participants
ChrisA405
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing