RangeRovers.net Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Install videos are on my website
Thanks, yeah I had looked at those but didn't see a full install video.
is the closest but it appears to be moreso a slideshow, so some of the steps were a bit unclear as to the physical action.
starts with the factory system already out.

Let me know if I'm missing something and thanks for all your help with folks on this!

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Thanks, yeah I had looked at those but didn't see a full install video.
is the closest but it appears to be moreso a slideshow, so some of the steps were a bit unclear as to the physical action.
starts with the factory system already out.

Let me know if I'm missing something and thanks for all your help with folks on this!
Those 2 videos are all you really need. There is nothing more to it that you need to see. The install is very straight forward and mostly plug and play other than the black surround trim that goes around the screen. You can search the powerfuluk youtube channel for how to remove the factory unit but it's pretty straight forward. Better yet, if you purchase this unit from me then I am willing to FaceTime video chat with you to show you how to do it live. If you have been following this thread long enough and reading the reviews then you should now that there is nothing to worry about when purchasing this unit from Android Aftershock.

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport V6 HSE L494
11 Posts
I’ve just installed this unit today and after watching the YouTube videos multiple times no one is exactly clear on connecting both of the side touch panels. I’ve installed on a RRS L494. Photos show the wiring I received look different from ones in YouTube installation videos. As you can see, one of the cords have only ONE female connection for only ONE of the side touch panels to plug into. Do I choose the left or right one to plug in? Who knows!? I have literally connected all of the other wiring correctly and there is absolutely no other input for the other side touch panel. Do I just connect the other side touch panel to the OEM wiring? (Not bypassing through the android head unit like the other panel will)? And of course after trying out the unit after installation most of the side panel buttons do not work, they don’t do anything (settings, park sensor, camera, mode, media, and nav buttons do not work). However, the power and home button do work. All other mid screen touch functions work fine.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #305 (Edited)
I’ve just installed this unit today and after watching the YouTube videos multiple times no one is exactly clear on connecting both of the side touch panels. I’ve installed on a RRS L494. Photos show the wiring I received look different from ones in YouTube installation videos. As you can see, one of the cords have only ONE female connection for only ONE of the side touch panels to plug into. Do I choose the left or right one to plug in? Who knows!? I have literally connected all of the other wiring correctly and there is absolutely no other input for the other side touch panel. Do I just connect the other side touch panel to the OEM wiring? (Not bypassing through the android head unit like the other panel will)? And of course after trying out the unit after installation most of the side panel buttons do not work, they don’t do anything (settings, park sensor, camera, mode, media, and nav buttons do not work). However, the power and home button do work. All other mid screen touch functions work fine.
Where or who did you purchase your unit from? I don't think this is one of my units at all from what you described regarding the wire harness. If you purchased from me then you should know to just call or text me and I would have helped you sort these issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone! can you please post if there's anything you dont like about the screen?

1. 40 sec boot time
  2. no Auto dimming at night
  3. Navigation voice is played through the little speaker behind the unit, not through the main car speakers.
  4. Sound from the unit is played thorugh AUX and many complain that the quality is nowhere close when the same file played through the main head unit
  5. Built in chinese 4G is very slow, vs real 4G
For me the boot time of ~40 sec is a killer...maybe hook up the power bank to keep the android running all the time...

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE
15 Posts
I found the audio quality was a little better on the first gen unit than the stock head unit.
Even better sound quality on the second gen unit. I have the base 8 speaker audio system. I wonder if the people saying the sound is worse have one of the premium systems.

I believe the second gen unit has auto dimming.
The first gen doesn't.
I don't mind the 40 second boot up.

It would be nice if GPS was through the main speakers and not the small single one that comes with the unit. Maybe that can be fixed with a software update.
Other than that the units are great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if the people saying the sound is worse have one of the premium systems.
Yes, you are right, the noticeable sound quality is on Meridian sound.

I believe the second gen unit has auto dimming.
No sensor, can be controlled by Android app...based on time of the day for example. But there are no built in sensors or no control from car's sensors to dim. Even on minimal brightness set, people are saying its too bright at night...

It would be nice if GPS was through the main speakers and not the small single one that comes with the unit.
I think you can use the Apple Carplay navi and the sound would go through the main unit. But also the unit is using this little speaker when placing calls via its bluetooth.

Also people reported issues with resuming screen's youtube video (or navigaiton, etc) when interrupted by a call or a function from the main unit. ...Not 100% sure if its still an issue on the newer version.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #310 (Edited)
Hello everyone! can you please post if there's anything you dont like about the screen?

1. 40 sec boot time
  2. no Auto dimming at night
  3. Navigation voice is played through the little speaker behind the unit, not through the main car speakers.
  4. Sound from the unit is played thorugh AUX and many complain that the quality is nowhere close when the same file played through the main head unit
  5. Built in chinese 4G is very slow, vs real 4G
For me the boot time of ~40 sec is a killer...maybe hook up the power bank to keep the android running all the time...
necser,
1. If the 40 sec boot time is a deal breaker then the rest of your questions or concerns are irrelevant.
2. The new 9.0 unit automatically dims when your headlights are turned on. You can also manually adjust the brightness if needed.
3. Only the Android based navigation uses the small speaker included with the unit. If you are using CarPlay or Android Auto then your navigation voice will be heard through the factory speakers.
4. The AUX audio quality is really not bad and unless you are an audiophile then you probably won't notice the difference in sound quality. You also still have the option to listen to audio through the factory Bluetooth if you don't like the AUX audio sound quality. I have the 825watt Meridian and I don't notice any difference in the sound quality. The new 9.0 unit now has Bluetooth connection as an option to connect to the factory Bluetooth for audio. Therefore, the AUX audio sound quality is no longer a concern.
5. I don't use the built in 4G because it doesn't seem stable. I use a portable hotspot from AT&T and it works great. You can also use the hotspot from your phone. Therefore, there's no need to even install a SIM card or the 4G antenna.

Basically, there are 4 things that you really don't need to install if you only plan on using CarPlay or Android Auto...
1. SIM card
2. the included 4G antenna
3. the included GPS antenna
4. the included small Speaker

·
Registered
5 Posts
First, thank you W84IT for all the time and work you've put into this!!

40 sec is only for the cold start, the warm start (when you just turn the car off for 5 mins) is not 40sec, right?

My main issue with my 2016 factory system is when you are talking on the phone, sit in the car and people loose you for good 10sec while RR is trying to connect to my iphone. I dont really mind waiting, but I cant have people loose me during the conversation. Therefore I thought that my iPhone will connect to more current Android (after it boots up) without hesitation while switching. But if you use Android's bluetooth for your calls, then the little speaker is involved again (as with Navigation)...correct?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
First, thank you W84IT for all the time and work you've put into this!!

40 sec is only for the cold start, the warm start (when you just turn the car off for 5 mins) is not 40sec, right?

My main issue with my 2016 factory system is when you are talking on the phone, sit in the car and people loose you for good 10sec while RR is trying to connect to my iphone. I dont really mind waiting, but I cant have people loose me during the conversation. Therefore I thought that my iPhone will connect to more current Android (after it boots up) without hesitation while switching. But if you use Android's bluetooth for your calls, then the little speaker is involved again (as with Navigation)...correct?
The Android Bluetooth is not very good...your factory Bluetooth is actually better. However, you don't need to use either Bluetooth options if you are using wired CarPlay or Android Auto. This way, your phone will only connect to the system when you plug it in...you won't have to deal with loosing people on calls through Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Hows the quality of android MIC? Where do you mount the MIC so its not that invasive/visible?
The Android mic is OK but the OEM mic is better. Right now I'm using the factory Bluetooth while using CarPlay.

The Android mic can be mounted anywhere you choose...just make sure it's located close enough to you to get good reception. Everyone has their own take on where they want the mic mounted so you will just need to be creative or have a professional install it for you. I've moved my mic around to a few different spots but now I just have it tucked behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
4. The AUX audio quality is really not bad and unless you are an audiophile then you probably won't notice the difference in sound quality. You also still have the option to listen to audio through the factory Bluetooth if you don't like the AUX audio sound quality. I have the 825watt Meridian and I don't notice any difference in the sound quality. The new 9.0 unit now has Bluetooth connection as an option to connect to the factory Bluetooth for audio. Therefore, the AUX audio sound quality is no longer a concern.
I have the original Android unit, which I bought from Ray. Overall, I love it. I had posted way back about noise on the RCA audio out to Range Rover Aux-In connection. Since then, I've been looking for a solution to root the device and try to modify the bluetooth settings to allow the Android unit to connect to the Range Rover via Bluetooth instead of Aux-In.

I have the Meridian Signature (29-speaker) system and it's the most amazing car audio sound system I've owned. The noise on the output was unbearable to me. My workaround is to connect my iPhone directly to the car using Bluetooth audio out (for both music and calls). It sounds great, but I have to reestablish the connection every time I'm in the car if I connect the car to the Android unit using CarPlay. Sometimes my Bluetooth will connect automatically, but once I plug in the Phone to the CarPlay adapter, it always switches my iPhone to CarPlay and the audio will stop playing, so I have to select Bluetooth. Even when making a call, when the call is connected, it always switches to CarPlay and I have to switch it back to Bluetooth (every time).

If what Ray is saying is true above, this could be life-changing for me and a reason to upgrade. Is anyone using Bluetooth to connect the Android 9.0 unit to the car's Bluetooth? If so, these questions are for Ray or anyone else connecting via Bluetooth.
1. Does the sound equal the sound when connecting from your phone to the car directly for both music and calls?
2. Does the Bluetooth reconnect automatically every time the Android is booted and will it keep this setting no matter what else changes (i.e., changing music source, navigation, incoming or outgoing calls, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any real-world experience.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Yes, the new Android 9.0 unit is capable of Bluetooth audio emission to connect to the Range Rover factory Bluetooth.

1. In my experience the sound quality is pretty good but I'm not an audiophile. However, I will say that it sounds much better than the audio from the AUX. The audio volume from the Android Bluetooth audio emission doesn't seem to be as loud as the Bluetooth audio emission from my iPhone to the Range Rover...but it's definitely just as clean. You will still need to use the Range Rover Bluetooth for calls because the Android does not do audio emission and phone call audio at the same time. You will have to choose either one in the settings.

2. The Android Bluetooth does connect automatically but it wasn't consistent during my testing...sometimes I would have to manually connect to get it going. I think that might just be a software issue so I informed the engineers of that problem and they are working on it.

Anyway, right now I'm using the AUX for audio from the Android unit and I have my iPhone paired with the Range Rover Bluetooth for phone calls. As soon as the engineers figure out the Android Bluetooth quirks then I will connect the Android Bluetooth for audio instead of using the AUX and I will also keep my iPhone paired to the Range Rover Bluetooth for phone calls. This seemed to work really well whenever the Android Bluetooth audio emission is stable.

And before anyone even ask, YES, CarPlay still works with the iPhone paired to the factory bluetooth for phone calls...However you still have to have the factory audio source set to AUX to hear music from CarPlay...or you can pair the Android bluetooth emission to the Range Rover Bluetooth for audio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2. The Android Bluetooth does connect automatically but it wasn't consistent during my testing...sometimes I would have to manually connect to get it going. I think that might just be a software issue so I informed the engineers of that problem and they are working on it.
Ray, thanks for the detailed feedback on the 9.0 Bluetooth quirks. It sounds like it a partial solution to my sound quality dilemma, but I don't want to pay to upgrade to the new unit and trade one problem for another. If I have to keep resetting the connection either on the device or my phone (for calls), it's not that better than what I'm dealing with now.

If you do get some confirmation from your supplier that they have addressed the Bluetooth stability, I'll be interested in upgrading.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Ray, thanks for the detailed feedback on the 9.0 Bluetooth quirks. It sounds like it a partial solution to my sound quality dilemma, but I don't want to pay to upgrade to the new unit and trade one problem for another. If I have to keep resetting the connection either on the device or my phone (for calls), it's not that better than what I'm dealing with now.

If you do get some confirmation from your supplier that they have addressed the Bluetooth stability, I'll be interested in upgrading.
I totally understand but I still think the 9.0 version is worth the upgrade...but that's for you to decide for yourself. So far, everyone who has done the upgrade from the 7.1 is highly satisfied. I just wish more of them would post their reviews on the forum but I guess half of them are not even on this forum. Anyway, I will be sure to update you guys once the engineers have figured out how to make the bluetooth audio connection more stable.

301 - 320 of 320 Posts