RangeRovers.net Forum banner

281 - 300 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Update:
Only 5 units remain in stock for the L405 now. My next shipment probably won't arrive until mid May or later.
Hello all. I have been reading through this whole post and would really appreciate some clarification for a newbie.

Will this android unit work, and is it necessary for a 2015 RR AB? Will it lessen the quality of the Meridian system? How does the sound quality compare to simply streaming Bluetooth on the factory system? For those who have installed, is it worth it? Why? For Apple Maps? iTunes? iTunes is my biggest concern, because I need my music. How often does the overheating glitch occur, where the unit shuts off for an hour? Does this unit void any warranty?

thank you everyone!

·
Registered
481 Posts
All good questions. Ray will be in shortly I’m sure. Always quick to respond.

also I just saw a video on “how to activate car play” on the 2018+ large oem nav screens. It looked like the OEM has the same look as this android 9.0 unit (meaning whitescreen with the 3 big squares to to select and the tool bar at the bottom). Is this a correct statement?

is there a “dark mode” where it’s essentially the reverse? I’ve gotten quite used to dark mode on forums and my iPhone etc.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Hello all. I have been reading through this whole post and would really appreciate some clarification for a newbie.

Will this android unit work, and is it necessary for a 2015 RR AB? Will it lessen the quality of the Meridian system? How does the sound quality compare to simply streaming Bluetooth on the factory system? For those who have installed, is it worth it? Why? For Apple Maps? iTunes? iTunes is my biggest concern, because I need my music. How often does the overheating glitch occur, where the unit shuts off for an hour? Does this unit void any warranty?

thank you everyone!
Hello Newbie,

Obviously you haven't read ALL the post in this thread because all your questions have been answered...but I guess I'll just answer them again.

1. Of course this unit is not necessary for ANY vehicle. However, it's up to you if you want the upgrade and benefits of this Android unit.
2. No, it will not lesson the quality of your Meridian system...unless you're the Audiophile type then you probably won't even notice the difference between the AUX source or Bluetooth source. However, you can still use your OEM Bluetooth with this unit installed if you prefer to listen through the factory bluetooth. Your factory Bluetooth sound quality will remain the exact same.
3. This system is definitely worth the upgrade...again, you should already know this if you read all the post in this thread.
4. Why? Well, that's something you're going to have to decide on your own. After reading this thread and watching the videos on my website then you should be able to answer that question for yourself and make a decision.
5. Yes, you will be able to use Apple Maps and Apple Music/iTunes through AutoPlay/CarPlay on this screen...you can also use Google Maps and other music apps such as Spotify or YouTube music.
6.The overheating issue was actually not an overheating issue at all and it has long been resolved. It was actually just the wrong resistors in the test unit that I had. I have this unit installed in both my L405's and it's been flawless.
7. I've sold close to 100 of these units so far between the L405, L494 and L538 and there has been no warranty issues reported...but if you're really that concerned about warranty then this unit is NOT for you.

If you have any other questions or concerns then please call or text me.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
All good questions. Ray will be in shortly I’m sure. Always quick to respond.

also I just saw a video on “how to activate car play” on the 2018+ large oem nav screens. It looked like the OEM has the same look as this android 9.0 unit (meaning whitescreen with the 3 big squares to to select and the tool bar at the bottom). Is this a correct statement?

is there a “dark mode” where it’s essentially the reverse? I’ve gotten quite used to dark mode on forums and my iPhone etc.
Yes, the Android 9.0 unit has a dark theme and a light theme. I've demonstrated this in the videos. Please visit my website to view the videos. CarPlay also has the dark/light option when you have it displayed on the screen.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
66 Posts
Just wanted to share my upgrade experience. I had the original Android 7 unit and while it was nearly perfect, I‘m an over the top perfectionist. So when I saw the details from LeRay about the new Android 9 units fixing the AC controls brightness, faster boot up and no more Android logo on the boot screen, I couldn’t help myself and splurged on the upgrade.

Hands down, worth every penny for me.

Install was a breeze since i had done it before. And now that the left-hand button pack no longer has to stay connected, there’s actually more space to stuff the bulk of the wiring harness out of the way making the final step of pushing the screen into place much easier.

I had sort of overlooked the fact that the new 9.0 unit comes with a higher resolution screen and was very pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it makes. it looks so much better.

The faster processor means the interface is much more fluid and responsive to button presses and to me, the audio sounds better. While the 7.0 unit didn’t sound bad by any stretch, I’m an audiophile and felt there was a little bit missing. A side by side comparisons playing the audio from the new unit vs, the same song playing through the factory Bluetooth, they sound identical.

My only caution / complaint: the physical OEM buttons (like Climate and Message / Heated Seat buttons) no longer switch the screen over to the OEM screen automatically like the 7.0 unit did. The buttons still work, but you have to manually switch over to the OEM screen which takes a couple of taps. Not the end of the world, but a very nice feature that’s no longer there. Hopefully this is something they can continue to work on and can be rectified with a software / firmware update.

Bottom line, this is an exceptionally good after market upgrade. But should you upgrade?
  • If you haven’t replaced your OEM screen and are considering it: stop thinking about it and just do it....you will not regret it.
  • If you have the 7.0 unit and are happy, stay put. But if you’re a perfecfionist like me, the upgrade to 9.0 will not disappoint

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just wanted to share my upgrade experience. I had the original Android 7 unit and while it was nearly perfect, I‘m an over the top perfectionist. So when I saw the details from LeRay about the new Android 9 units fixing the AC controls brightness, faster boot up and no more Android logo on the boot screen, I couldn’t help myself and splurged on the upgrade.

Hands down, worth every penny for me.

Install was a breeze since i had done it before. And now that the left-hand button pack no longer has to stay connected, there’s actually more space to stuff the bulk of the wiring harness out of the way making the final step of pushing the screen into place much easier.

I had sort of overlooked the fact that the new 9.0 unit comes with a higher resolution screen and was very pleasantly surprised how much of a difference it makes. it looks so much better.

The faster processor means the interface is much more fluid and responsive to button presses and to me, the audio sounds better. While the 7.0 unit didn’t sound bad by any stretch, I’m an audiophile and felt there was a little bit missing. A side by side comparisons playing the audio from the new unit vs, the same song playing through the factory Bluetooth, they sound identical.

My only caution / complaint: the physical OEM buttons (like Climate and Message / Heated Seat buttons) no longer switch the screen over to the OEM screen automatically like the 7.0 unit did. The buttons still work, but you have to manually switch over to the OEM screen which takes a couple of taps. Not the end of the world, but a very nice feature that’s no longer there. Hopefully this is something they can continue to work on and can be rectified with a software / firmware update.

Bottom line, this is an exceptionally good after market upgrade. But should you upgrade?
  • If you haven’t replaced your OEM screen and are considering it: stop thinking about it and just do it....you will not regret it.
  • If you have the 7.0 unit and are happy, stay put. But if you’re a perfecfionist like me, the upgrade to 9.0 will not disappoint
Perfect. This really told me everything I needed to hear. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would be nice to see the heated screen button switch the screen. I love my 9.0 unit and had noted this but did t realize it worked on the 7.0 version. Now that we know it worked before I’m hopeful for a software upgrade to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #288 (Edited)
Would be nice to see the heated screen button switch the screen. I love my 9.0 unit and had noted this but did t realize it worked on the 7.0 version. Now that we know it worked before I’m hopeful for a software upgrade to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The heated seat and climate control buttons do switch the screen as long as you have the unit in the OEM display mode. As long as you're in the OEM display mode then everything works as it always has. If you're not on the OEM display mode then just tap the button that takes you back to the original display if you want to use OEM features.

My supplier told me that the 9.0 version is a totally different system and the engineers are not the same from the 7.1 version.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
New shipment arriving next week!!!

30% discount for previous Android Aftershock customers
20% discount for US Military Veterans
20% discount for forum members with over 200 posts
15% discount for forum members with over 150 posts
10% discount for forum members with over 100 posts
5% discount for forum members with over 5 posts

Please contact me for your coupon code before placing your order on my website.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Newbie,

Obviously you haven't read ALL the post in this thread because all your questions have been answered...but I guess I'll just answer them again.

Hey! UK Based noob here.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been through everything in this thread and the previous thread which lead me here (Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's), and it's been a journey! Actually really cool to see how this has gone from someone trying to make it work to having a polished service to order and help install these things.

I've recently picked up a 2013 L405 AB which for me ticks all of the boxes with the exception of the dated head unit which I'm dying to upgrade. I have 3 questions in relation to the rear seat entertainment and the dual view which I don't think have been asked but apologies if I've missed them.
  1. I can control RSE using the OEM screens as before...but is it possible to play any media from the android head unit and have that screened in the back? I've seen someone mention playing videos using VLC, but I assume that's through front screen rather than the rear.
  2. If you can play media in the back from non-OEM functionality, is that just USB media, or does it include YouTube/Netflix/Prime etc?
  3. Have the engineers said anything about looking into dual view screens in the future?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #291 (Edited)
Hey! UK Based noob here.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been through everything in this thread and the previous thread which lead me here (Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's), and it's been a journey! Actually really cool to see how this has gone from someone trying to make it work to having a polished service to order and help install these things.

I've recently picked up a 2013 L405 AB which for me ticks all of the boxes with the exception of the dated head unit which I'm dying to upgrade. I have 3 questions in relation to the rear seat entertainment and the dual view which I don't think have been asked but apologies if I've missed them.
  1. I can control RSE using the OEM screens as before...but is it possible to play any media from the android head unit and have that screened in the back? I've seen someone mention playing videos using VLC, but I assume that's through front screen rather than the rear.
  2. If you can play media in the back from non-OEM functionality, is that just USB media, or does it include YouTube/Netflix/Prime etc?
  3. Have the engineers said anything about looking into dual view screens in the future?
Thanks!
Hello UK based noob,

I'm almost sure that all of your questions have been answered before but...

1. Yes, the RSE will work the same as it did before when you have the unit in the OEM display mode...video plays from dvd or usb. However, once you select the Android mode, you can only watch the Android USB video content or video streaming apps on the Android screen...even while the vehicle is in motion.
2. Only the OEM USB media and DVD can be played on the RSE screens. Any video played from the Android source will only be displayed on the Android screen itself. If you have streaming apps such as YouTube or Netflix downloaded on the Android unit then it will only show on the Android screen.
3. No the engineers have not said anything about adding dual view in the future. Actually, I don't think the USA Land Rovers even got that feature...I don't recall anyone here in the US saying that they have that feature. The Android units are configured to work with systems that have the dual view screen feature. However, the Android unit only shows single view. I think the dual view option was only for the UK.

For those of you who don't understand what dual view is please watch the video below...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello UK based noob,

I'm almost sure that all of your questions have been answered before but...

1. Yes, the RSE will work the same as it did before when you have the unit in the OEM display mode...video plays from dvd or usb. However, once you select the Android mode, you can only watch the Android USB video content or video streaming apps on the Android screen...even while the vehicle is in motion.
2. Only the OEM USB media and DVD can be played on the RSE screens. Any video played from the Android source will only be displayed on the Android screen itself. If you have streaming apps such as YouTube or Netflix downloaded on the Android unit then it will only show on the Android screen.
3. No the engineers have not said anything about adding dual view in the future. Actually, I don't think the USA Land Rovers even got that feature...I don't recall anyone here in the US saying that they have that feature. The Android units are configured to work with systems that have the dual view screen feature. However, the Android unit only shows single view. I think the dual view option was only for the UK.

For those of you who don't understand what dual view is please watch the video below...

Hey LeRay,

thanks for the quick reply...and sorry for making you repeat answers.

Understood on the first 2 points. I’m having trouble playing from USB for the RSE, and was hoping to fix that by playing through the newer head unit and sending it to the rear. Looks like that’s not going away any time soon! Will continue to trawl Threads on here for an answer to that.

For the dual view, you say
The Android units are configured to work with systems that have the dual view screen feature. However, the Android unit only shows single view. I think the dual view option was only for the UK.
Is this only showing single view because the US models don’t offer dual view? Or are you saying that regardless of whether the car model offers single view or dual view, the android unit will still work but will only display single view?

Do you know anyone in the UK who has tried it?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
The Android unit will only display single view regardless if your system had the dual view feature...UK customers have verified this as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Android unit will only display single view regardless if your system had the dual view feature...UK customers have verified this as well.
You’re killing me here LeRay!

Thanks for the prompt response. Have to decide whether losing the dual screen is worth it, as we use it on drives where The driver needs sat nav but the passenger is watching tv/media.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
You’re killing me here LeRay!

Thanks for the prompt response. Have to decide whether losing the dual screen is worth it, as we use it on drives where The driver needs sat nav but the passenger is watching tv/media.
No, you're killing yourself...if you're that concerned about loosing dual view then this unit is NOT for you. This unit will NEVER be perfect but it's pretty close and it offers way more functionality than the stock unit. The stock unit is very outdated but maybe you will be okay with that if you're so set on keeping dual view.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
278 Posts
Hey Ray!

You (or someone above) mentioned 9.0 has more resolution than the 7.0 ? Much better ?

love that it’s fixes the temp control dials.

park assist also works now correct?

Any in stock for 2016 L494 sport?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Hey Ray!

You (or someone above) mentioned 9.0 has more resolution than the 7.0 ? Much better ?

love that it’s fixes the temp control dials.

park assist also works now correct?

Any in stock for 2016 L494 sport?
Yes, the resolution is a little better on the 9.0 version but I'm not sure how much better.
Yes, the temp control dials are brighter in the daylight now.
Yes, the park assist issue is now resolved.
Yes, I have units in stock.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My interest has also risen in these systems. Can you please PM me with costs and whatever links and discount codes I may need. Thank you.

281 - 300 of 351 Posts