RangeRovers.net Forum banner

241 - 260 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Must say I like the splash screen and GUI of the 7.x version better. Not a fan of all the monotone grey.

I do plan on getting this mod at some point, maybe they will have some options as far as “themes” by that time.

Reactions: W84IT

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 Range Rover HSE & 2020.5 L663 Defender 110 P400HSE
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
so, what are you thinking about the new vs old?
I actually like them both equally...you can't go wrong with either one. You can watch the videos on my website and decide for yourself. However, the 7.1 is no longer being produced so the 9.0 version is the only choice you have right now...unless you find someone willing to sell you their 7.1 version.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Must say I like the splash screen and GUI of the 7.x version better. Not a fan of all the monotone grey.

I do plan on getting this mod at some point, maybe they will have some options as far as “themes” by that time.
I agree...I miss some things from the 7.1 version, especially having the extra theme to select. The 9.0 is better in some ways but the 7.1 is better in some ways. They're both pretty good units in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Update:

My supplier has informed me that the factory is now back operating and he will begin shipping my orders as fast as they can produce the units. Some of you guys have pre-ordered so I will be filling those orders in the order that they were received.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
71 Posts
Update:

My supplier has informed me that the factory is now back operating and he will begin shipping my orders as fast as they can produce the units. Some of you guys have pre-ordered so I will be filling those orders in the order that they were received.
Are you still using the new unit since you did the test install? If so, can you shed some light on it's stability or any new unexpected irritations over the old unit now that you've been using it for several weeks?

Thx Ray!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Are you still using the new unit since you did the test install? If so, can you shed some light on it's stability or any new unexpected irritations over the old unit now that you've been using it for several weeks?

Thx Ray!
Yes, I still have the 9.0 version installed and the things that I shared about it in my earlier post still exist. The most annoying thing about the unit that I have installed is that it will not turn back on sometimes after you shut the vehicle off and start it back up. It seems like the unit overheats because after about an hour or so, it will turn back on. My supplier said that the engineers think it's bad resistors on the circuit board that's causing that issue so he's sending me a new circuit board to install instead of me having to ship the unit back to him. Other than that, the unit has been pretty good. I do like the faster boot up time and it just seems smoother to navigate from the OEM interface to the Android interface. There are some things that I miss about the 7.1 version, like the full screen option for the OEM interface. The 7.1 version also has a little more flexibility in the setup menu.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ray, are they taking customer ( or power seller -you) advice when designing the next gen? If so it would be great to voice these concerns with them so we can have the next gen be all the best of 7.1 and 9.0 and none of the trade -offs.

trying to think of all the pluses from the 2 versions: the 7.1 GUI interface, full size OEM screen, temp controls not dimming, park assist, quick boot time...

edit: looks like you have a list started of the pros/cons in the prev page

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Ray, are they taking customer ( or power seller -you) advice when designing the next gen? If so it would be great to voice these concerns with them so we can have the next gen be all the best of 7.1 and 9.0 and none of the trade -offs.

trying to think of all the pluses from the 2 versions: the 7.1 GUI interface, full size OEM screen, temp controls not dimming, park assist, quick boot time...

edit: looks like you have a list started of the pros/cons in the prev page
Yes, my supplier is passing all the feedback that I give him to the engineers. The 9.0 version shows that they have been listening to the feedback from the 7.1 version and improved some things. I'm sure the next version will be even better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Perfect. Good to see they are willing and continue to listen. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Ray,

I'm very close to clicking on the "Buy" button. But I have a quick question for you first . . . does the developer offer over-the-air upgrades of the unit for once it is installed? I'm thinking about your above response to @horse86, and hoping that the developer will enable full-screen OEM functionality and other enhancements/stability improvements for installed 9.0 units.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Hey Ray,

I'm very close to clicking on the "Buy" button. But I have a quick question for you first . . . does the developer offer over-the-air upgrades of the unit for once it is installed? I'm thinking about your above response to @horse86, and hoping that the developer will enable full-screen OEM functionality and other enhancements/stability improvements for installed 9.0 units.
The software on the unit itself does not upgrade over the air. However, the apps on the unit can be updated over the air via WiFi connection or 4G from a data SIM card. I will ask the supplier to get with the engineers on the possibility of OEM full screen.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Hey guys, my supplier said that the engineers confirmed that the new Android 9.0 version software can be updated unlike the 7.1 version. However, the software update can't be done over the air. It has to be done by downloading the file onto a USB thumb drive and then plug it into the Android USB port. They will be sending me the software updates when available and I will then forward the updates to all customers that have purchased the 9.0 version from me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's good news! Thanks for the update.

One question, are you saying that the Android OS can be updated this way, or that the supplier created environment that sits over Android can be updated this way?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
That's good news! Thanks for the update.

One question, are you saying that the Android OS can be updated this way, or that the supplier created environment that sits over Android can be updated this way?
That was a good question so I asked the engineer and he just told me "No, the Android 9.0 OS can not be updated. Only the updates to solve little bugs in the system can be done. The hardware would have to be upgraded to update from the Android 9.0 OS."

I guess that only means that there will be a new unit to replace the 9.0 version just as the 9.0 replaced the 7.1...

241 - 260 of 363 Posts