RangeRovers.net Forum banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
This may be basic, but I had to manually connect to the Autoplay Bluetooth the first time for it to start working. After that, it’s all good. Also, try forgetting your OEM Bluetooth.
Yeah, also tried removing the OEM bluetooth pairing entirely. Ray walked me through some troubleshooting steps and we even went so far as to do a factory reset on the entire unit, but still having the issue. Waiting to hear back from the supplier if there is a fix or if this might be a faulty unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Android Auto just doesn't seem as nice Apple CarPlay.

I suggest that you guys go to your local Apple Store and purchase yourself an iPhone 11 Pro Max (unlocked and SIM free) and try it out for a few days. You can always return it for a full refund within 14 days if you don't like it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
It looks like you’re using the same wireless charging catchers mitt? Google that on amazon. I Frankensteined it to work with the catchers mitt.
Touch the image to zoom in

iBOLT ChargeDock USB-C Ultimate Magnetic Vehicle and Desktop Dock/Mount/Holder w/ 2m USB Certified Type C to USB-A Charging Cable. Works with All USB-C Phones (Samsung Note 9/8, S8 / S9 etc.)
by iBOLT
3.8 out of 5 stars 34 ratings
| 19 answered questions

Price:$39.95 & FREE Returns
CouponSave an extra 20% when you apply this coupon.
Details

·
Registered
22 Posts
It looks like you’re using the same wireless charging catchers mitt? Google that on amazon. I Frankensteined it to work with the catchers mitt.
Touch the image to zoom in

iBOLT ChargeDock USB-C Ultimate Magnetic Vehicle and Desktop Dock/Mount/Holder w/ 2m USB Certified Type C to USB-A Charging Cable. Works with All USB-C Phones (Samsung Note 9/8, S8 / S9 etc.)
by iBOLT
3.8 out of 5 stars 34 ratings
| 19 answered questions

Price:$39.95 & FREE Returns
CouponSave an extra 20% when you apply this coupon.
Details
I saw the iBolt but decided against it because it uses the phone's USB C port to charge. The phone's USB C needs to be free from charging and used only for data for what we need it for. There are several fast wireless car chargers on Amazon that will probably work similar to what you have set up now. I will probably go the wireless car charger route. I just need to figure out where and how to mount it without making permanent changes to the the interior or leaving glue residue when the mount is removed.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ray- now that iOS 13 won’t let me specify Bluetooth priority for phone calls, I’ve decided to give the aux input another try (I’ve been pairing to Bluetooth for audio since it sounds better, imo). However, I can’t get any sound when using the CarPlay / aux connection.

Things I’ve done to troubleshoot:
  • Confirmed the OEM system is set to Aux input
  • Confirmed that the phone is set to carplay for the audio out, and the phone is actively playing something but I don’t hear any audio, no matter which app is playing.
  • Double checked that the AutoPlay software and box software are up to date.
  • Confimed audio level on android head unit is turned up
  • Confirmed that iphone audio works fine when I force connection to oem Bluetooth for audio.
any ideas?
Just thought I'd post a few updates.

1) regarding my Aux audio issues quoted above, Ray was able to determine with his supplier that my unit had a faulty audio chip. He sent a replacement unit lightening fast and I installed it this past weekend. Five days in, it's working flawlessly and the Aux audio quality is much much better...very happy with the result.

2) While I was swapping the unit, I thought I would give the Park Assist modification a try. For those following, Ray got some instructions from the engineers on which wires to connect to hopefully re-enable the Park Assist function. I used a t-junction connector to add a 'jumper' wire between the two cables so I could easily undo the mod:

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried several different iterations of the connection (leaving the orange cable connected to it's original connector; disconnecting the orange cable; moving the jumper to either side of the orange cable's connector, etc). Ray is going to reach out to them again with this info and see if there's something I did wrong or if maybe they identified the wrong wires.

3) Regarding the microphone - several folks said they could barely hear me when doing a hands-free call over CarPlay, so while I had the unit out I also swapped out the mic for a higher quality one. The reviews are mixed...the first few calls on it, I was told it sounded perfect. But since then, I've had a couple of calls where the other party said I sounded far away and/or robotic. Siri hears my commands accurately 100% of the time, so at this point, I'll call it a slight improvement over the original. For those interested, I purchased the Clarion RCB 204 mic from Amazon.

4) For those experiencing the audio stuttering with iOS13, I don't have a solution, but I have found a fix that's at least quicker than unplugging and plugging the phone back in. When the stuttering starts (usually within seconds or minutes of plugging in), I just swipe down on the top of the screen and choose the 'app switcher' icon - this pulls up all open apps. Then just tap the AutoPlay app window to bring it back. For whatever reason, this seems to correct the stuttering.

-------
So for me, there's only two items left to address before I can say this solution is perfect for the L405:
  1. Re-enable the Park Assist function (hoping Ray's supplier will have some updates for us to try soon)
  2. Fix the iOS 13 audio stuttering (I'm fairly sure this not related to the android unit but isolated to either the AutoPlay app and/or box or iOS 13 itself. Either way, hopefully it will be addressed with a software update soon)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I just want to add that it's best to close out any other apps running in the background on the Android unit...it's also good to close out any apps running in the background on your iPhone.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts