RangeRovers.net Forum banner

141 - 160 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
OK guys, being that I'm out of stock and expecting a shipment in a few weeks, I'm getting overwhelmed with request to reserve a unit before they are sold out again. Therefore, I will be taking pre-orders on my website and filling orders as the shipments arrive...so first come first serve. The Android 7.1 units are no longer being produced so the new units arriving will have Android 9.0 and a few changes to the settings menu. I will be testing the new unit in my own Range Rover for a few days before I ship any out so please be patient. It's all about quality control. Plus, I need to be able to answer questions regarding the new unit if there happens to be significant changes from the previous unit. I'm almost sure there will be no physical changes from the previous unit but there will be changes with the software and some of the functions.

I also have a new discount code for registered forum members to use at check out. Please PM me for the code. I just ask that you don't post the code on any of the forum threads so that the code is only used by registered members of this community.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any chance those of us who recently bought these units will be able to upgrade to Android 9.0 software? I'd imagine there are a number of improvements.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Any chance those of us who recently bought these units will be able to upgrade to Android 9.0 software? I'd imagine there are a number of improvements.
Unfortunately, the 7.1 systems can't be upgraded due to the hardware as far as what I was told by my supplier. The improvement for the new unit is mainly software but there has been some hardware changes in order to handle the new software program. I will be posting a review of my findings once I have the unit installed in my own Range Rover.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
OK guys, I have an update on the 10.25" Android 9.0 version!!! I actually received a test/sample unit from my supplier and I just finished the install last night. Here are my findings so far...

Pros/Things that were addressed from 7.1 Version feedback:

• Android logo no longer on boot up…only Land Rover oval shows at boot up
  • Boot up is around 10 Seconds faster than 7.1 version
  • Configured for Resistive & Capacitive…select screen type in settings menu
  • Now able to select MPH or KPH in settings
  • Brightness for AC temperature control display screen in daylight is now fixed
  • Backcar changed to Rear View
  • Side buttons now work better…auto park/park assist not tested because I don’t have that feature
  • Switch between Apple CarPlay display, Android display and OEM display is now more fluent
  • Screen brightness has better adjustment for night driving and when headlights are on
Cons/Things to address in 9.0 Version:

• AUX audio noise when volume is turned up…7.1 version has the same issue
  • No Individuation settings…7.1 version has the Individuation settings
  • Only 2 Themes to choose from…7.1 version has 3 Themes to choose from
  • Wrong spelling on some menus…7.1 version has the same issue
  • No option for OEM full screen display…7.1 version has OEM full screen display option
  • System Settings/Factory Settings are not really clear…7.1 version is easier to understand
Note:
The screen blacks out sometimes…maybe from overheating…7.1 has never done this
No Changes to Apple CarPlay...This is an iOS feature anyway

I will be making a video soon but I need to go over some things with my supplier first. They are on Chinese New Year Break right now so I won't be in contact with him again until February 1st. Please hold all of your questions until then.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks for the write up. Same wiring harness or did you have to swap that out as well?
Yes, the wiring harness is a little different so I had to swap that out as well...the GPS antenna, WiFi antenna, Speaker and Microphone are the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great - I would love to see the video of the boot-up time, nighttime brightness/headlap, and other features when you have a chance. Will the units arrive and ship next week?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Ray - on the mic, are you sure it’s using the mic from the android unit for phone calls in Carplay? I didn’t hook up the mic to the android unit and I’m able to make and receive calls via CarPlay... as well as use “hey Siri”. I do connect my phone to the car Bluetooth and to the android unit via the cable.
I have been playing around with the external mic. CarPlay will not work with the OEM Bluetooth natively. If you do still have your phone connected to the OEM Bluetooth you can make/receive a call from CarPlay, however, you have to manually change the call routing to the OEM Bluetooth away from CarPlay on your phone after the call connects. In other words, you can place the call on the CarPlay but you can’t hear or be heard unless you change it manually away from CarPlay on your phone.
I also completely disconnected the mic and tried using CarPlay. Nothing works in this case. No calls, no “hey Siri”, no replying to texts. Again, if you manually change over to OEM Bluetooth (which has to be done each time a call is made it calls work but replying to text or hey Siri does not.

If someone else has figured out away to have the CarPlay default to the OEM Bluetooth for mic routing, please enlighten me.

I don’t see a scenario in which the OEM Bluetooth is the default if CarPlay is in use. It did work before Apple “upgraded” CarPlay several months ago.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I have been playing around with the external mic. CarPlay will not work with the OEM Bluetooth natively. If you do still have your phone connected to the OEM Bluetooth you can make/receive a call from CarPlay, however, you have to manually change the call routing to the OEM Bluetooth away from CarPlay on your phone after the call connects. In other words, you can place the call on the CarPlay but you can’t hear or be heard unless you change it manually away from CarPlay on your phone.
I also completely disconnected the mic and tried using CarPlay. Nothing works in this case. No calls, no “hey Siri”, no replying to texts. Again, if you manually change over to OEM Bluetooth (which has to be done each time a call is made it calls work but replying to text or hey Siri does not.

If someone else has figured out away to have the CarPlay default to the OEM Bluetooth for mic routing, please enlighten me.

I don’t see a scenario in which the OEM Bluetooth is the default if CarPlay is in use. It did work before Apple “upgraded” CarPlay several months ago.
I can confirm all that ScottTX just posted. CarPlay was working just fine along with the OEM bluetooth until iOS 13 came along. I decided to just give up on the OEM bluetooth for now. I found a mic on eBay that works pretty good with the Android unit and CarPlay. It comes with a set of little clips that give your better options when installing.

If you want to continue to use the OEM mic while CarPlay is active, then you will have to get used to manually switching the call audio routing each time a call is placed or received. Otherwise, go to the Bluetooth settings on your phone and select Range Rover-Forget This Device.

Here's is the link for the mic that I'm using...

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Update:
My supplier informed me that there may be a delay on the Android 9.0 units. The factory in China was shut down temporarily due to safety concerns over the Coronavirus. He will update me on Monday, 2/10/2020.

I have not made a video of the 9.0 system yet but when I do, it will be posted on my website along with the other videos. The video will be made available to view once I have inventory in stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey I just wanted to reach out and say, I purchased this kit from Ray a month or so ago in person. He was just a little over an hours drive from me so I went by to pick it up, he’s a real nice guy! We geeked out on car stuff for a little while and he gave me some pointers. The install was real easy and its truly a night an day difference! I love this system!!! Buy with confidence, he’s a genuinely good dude.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I myself won’t be purchasing anything from a country that is Rife with that virus. How do you know the unit hasn’t been handled by an individual with the virus? I’m no doctor but it just sounds stupid to risk it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It will void all warranty.
The unit connects directly into the bus and power systems.
If a problem occurred they would use it as an excuse to walk away.

141 - 160 of 180 Posts