RangeRovers.net Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey All, I've talked to Ray who has been awesome at answering questions and close to taking the plunge. The only other feedback I'm trying to gauge is the (lack of) good auto-dimming - Does anyone have pictures of the unit during the daytime in the sun at the 35 brightness, and then have pictures when set at 35 what that looks like in the dark throughout the car after it dims at night.

Just don't want to have to keep going back and forth to the brightness function, especially given when I go to work it is bright and when I drive to home it is dark - I would hate every time I get into the care to have to adjust.

I look at the picture above and it seems to overwhelm the light in the car.

Thanks,

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hey All, I've talked to Ray who has been awesome at answering questions and close to taking the plunge. The only other feedback I'm trying to gauge is the (lack of) good auto-dimming - Does anyone have pictures of the unit during the daytime in the sun at the 35 brightness then what that looks like in the dark throughout the car when it dims at night.

Just don't want to have to keep going back and forth to the brightness function, especially it is usually bright when I drive to work and dark when home - would hate every time I get in to have to adjust.

I look at the picture above at it seems to overwhelm the light in the car.

Thanks,
The pic that I posted above is with the lights off so the screen is the only light that's on in the vehicle. I will try to do a short video or maybe a few better quality pics to show the screen brightness set at 35 with the lights on at night. I will also take a pic to show what the 35 screen brightness looks like during daylight driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The pic that I posted above is with the lights off so the screen is the only light that's on in the vehicle. I will try to do a short video or maybe a few better quality pics to show the screen brightness set at 35 with the lights on at night. I will also take a pic to show what the 35 screen brightness looks like during daylight driving.
Hey Ray, just following up to see if you were able to make those videos, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Hey Ray, just following up to see if you were able to make those videos, thanks in advance!
No, I have not...I will try to get around to it this weekend. Send me a PM and include your mobile phone number so that I can send the pics and video directly to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was about to pull the trigger on one of these and then I noticed the bold text on the retail page that says "No DVD Function". I assume that means for my vehicle with factory DVD player and headrest screens it would no longer work? That's a major deal for me as a parent with two 5 year olds. Is there a workaround or plans to integrate DVD support?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
I was about to pull the trigger on one of these and then I noticed the bold text on the retail page that says "No DVD Function". I assume that means for my vehicle with factory DVD player and headrest screens it would no longer work? That's a major deal for me as a parent with two 5 year olds. Is there a workaround or plans to integrate DVD support?
The "No DVD Function" refers to the Android unit itself. Your factory DVD player will function the same as it always has and so will the rear seat entertainment screens. To put it real simple, the Android unit just piggy backs off of your factory system. All of your factory functions will remain the same. However, if you have the auto park/park assist feature then you will need to modify one wire on the Android harness to keep that feature.

Here's a short video to show the factory DVD playing with the Android screen installed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
The "No DVD Function" refers to the Android unit itself. Your factory DVD player will function the same as it always has and so will the rear seat entertainment screens. To put it real simple, the Android unit just piggy backs off of your factory system. All of your factory functions will remain the same. However, if you have the auto park/park assist feature then you will need to modify one wire on the Android harness to keep that feature.

Here's a short video to show the factory DVD playing with the Android screen installed...

Thank you for the clarification and video, Ray! That certainly took care of a major concern I had.

I have a few more questions I'm hoping you (or someone else using this setup) can answer that I haven't seen answered elsewhere (my apologies if they were and I missed them). Some are Android user specific.

1. What is the purpose of the speaker? I will be using this with an Android phone. Is that where I hear navigation info or phone calls or something else from it?
2. What specifically is the mic for? I think I read that its for phone calls. Is it for saying 'OK Google' and giving requests, etc. Anything I'm missing?
3. Has anyone ran the USB plug into that little pocket under the HVAC controls? If so, did that work well?
4. What happens to the USB port in the center console? Does it still work to connect to the vehicle in some way or at least charge a phone?
5. Are there any other differences for an Android user other than the lack of wireless? It seems most are using it for Apple Carplay but I would be using Android Auto.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thank you for the clarification and video, Ray! That certainly took care of a major concern I had.

I have a few more questions I'm hoping you (or someone else using this setup) can answer that I haven't seen answered elsewhere (my apologies if they were and I missed them). Some are Android user specific.

1. What is the purpose of the speaker? I will be using this with an Android phone. Is that where I hear navigation info or phone calls or something else from it?
2. What specifically is the mic for? I think I read that its for phone calls. Is it for saying 'OK Google' and giving requests, etc. Anything I'm missing?
3. Has anyone ran the USB plug into that little pocket under the HVAC controls? If so, did that work well?
4. What happens to the USB port in the center console? Does it still work to connect to the vehicle in some way or at least charge a phone?
5. Are there any other differences for an Android user other than the lack of wireless? It seems most are using it for Apple Carplay but I would be using Android Auto.
1. The speaker included with the Android unit is for voice audio from the navigation apps installed on the unit. However, If you're using Android Auto from your phone, the call audio and navigation audio will be heard through the factory speakers.
2. The included mic is used for the Android based functions. It's also used for phone calls when using CarPlay or Android Auto. I'm assuming it will also work for "Hey Google" if you set that up on your google account.
3. Yes, I have installed the USB from the Android unit in that little pocket for a customer and he loved it. I think that's the best place to install it for the L494.
4. The factory USB port in the center console will still function as it always has.
5. I think some Android guys have reported that their phones don't charge while using Android Auto but that problem was solved with a wireless charger. Get yourself a new iPhone and you won't have to worry about that. :D

There's more information on that in the L405 forum...

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. The speaker included with the Android unit is for voice audio from the navigation apps installed on the unit. However, If you're using Android Auto from your phone, the call audio and navigation audio will be heard through the factory speakers.
2. The included mic is used for the Android based functions. It's also used for phone calls when using CarPlay or Android Auto. I'm assuming it will also work for "Hey Google" if you set that up on your google account.
3. Yes, I have installed the USB from the Android unit in that little pocket for a customer and he loved it. I think that's the best place to install it for the L494.
4. The factory USB port in the center console will still function as it always has.
5. I think some Android guys have reported that their phones don't charge while using Android Auto but that problem was solved with a wireless charger. Get yourself a new iPhone and you won't have to worry about that. :D

There's more information on that in the L405 forum...
Ray - on the mic, are you sure it’s using the mic from the android unit for phone calls in Carplay? I didn’t hook up the mic to the android unit and I’m able to make and receive calls via CarPlay... as well as use “hey Siri”. I do connect my phone to the car Bluetooth and to the android unit via the cable.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Ray - on the mic, are you sure it’s using the mic from the android unit for phone calls in Carplay? I didn’t hook up the mic to the android unit and I’m able to make and receive calls via CarPlay... as well as use “hey Siri”. I do connect my phone to the car Bluetooth and to the android unit via the cable.
You could be right about that...I guess I just assumed that CarPlay uses the Android mic but obviously if you didn't install the Android mic then CarPlay must be using the factory mic which is even better...or maybe the OEM bluetooth takes over when you make phone calls even when you're using CarPlay. I haven't really done any experimenting to determine which mic is being used but I can confirm that I'm able to make and receive phones calls when using CarPlay. You can also continue to use the factory bluetooth to make and receive calls if you're not using CarPlay.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Hey guys, I just want to remind you that the discount code 2019w84it will end on 12/31/2019...I have only 6 units remaining in stock for the L494 Sport and my next shipment won't arrive until late January or early February.

I want to thank everyone that has purchased this unit from me and contributed to helping answer questions or giving their reviews on this forum...and I greatly appreciate those that have shown their support by clicking that DONATE NOW button on my website. I'm proud to say that the Range Rover community has helped me start and grow this small business. I'm also really happy that I have been able to help you guys enjoy your Range Rovers even more by bringing this awesome product to the US. Anyone who has a 2013-2016 Range Rover and has not upgraded to this Android unit is truly missing out on something great. I really enjoy hearing the feedback from highly satisfied customers after they have installed it. After having this unit in my own L405 for months, it's weird seeing any 2013-2016 Range Rovers with that outdated factory screen now. Anyway, I really appreciate all the support from you guys and I will always look forward to helping the community the best that I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, I just want to remind you that the discount code 2019w84it will end on 12/31/2019...I have only 6 units remaining in stock for the L494 Sport and my next shipment won't arrive until late January or early February.

I want to thank everyone that has purchased this unit from me and contributed to helping answer questions or giving their reviews on this forum...and I greatly appreciate those that have shown their support by clicking that DONATE NOW button on my website. I'm proud to say that the Range Rover community has helped me start and grow this small business. I'm also really happy that I have been able to help you guys enjoy your Range Rovers even more by bringing this awesome product to the US. Anyone who has a 2013-2016 Range Rover and has not upgraded to this Android unit is truly missing out on something great. I really enjoy hearing the feedback from highly satisfied customers after they have installed it. After having this unit in my own L405 for months, it's weird seeing any 2013-2016 Range Rovers with that outdated factory screen now. Anyway, I really appreciate all the support from you guys and I will always look forward to helping the community the best that I can.
Few questions I have for you.
Can a Video from a DVD be played while driving?
Are you able play videos from the unit itself while driving or thru usb from phone?
Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Few questions I have for you.
Can a Video from a DVD be played while driving?
Are you able play videos from the unit itself while driving or thru usb from phone?
Thanks
Your factory DVD player will function the same as it always has...meaning, the DVD video will show on the Android screen and the rear screens when parked but only show on the rear screens when the vehicle is in motion. However, you can watch videos on the Android screen when using the Android based apps or through the Android USB while driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts

1. Your factory DVD player will function the same as it always has...meaning, the DVD video will show on the Android screen and the rear screens when parked but only show on the rear screens when the vehicle is in motion. However, you can watch videos on the Android screen when using the Android based apps or through the Android USB while driving.
    Okay, thanks for responding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all.
In your opinion this Android device :
can be installed on my L494-2013/2014?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, these units look amazing but does anyone know what happens when pressing the heated seats button on the HVAC control unit? Does it bring up a control screen when in android?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hi, these units look amazing but does anyone know what happens when pressing the heated seats button on the HVAC control unit? Does it bring up a control screen when in android?
No, it does not bring up the heated seats or HVAC control screen when you have it in Android mode. However, it will bring up the control screen the same as always when you have the screen in OEM mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, it does not bring up the heated seats or HVAC control screen when you have it in Android mode. However, it will bring up the control screen the same as always when you have the screen in OEM mode.
Ok, thanks for letting me know. I expect you get used to jumping between Android and OEM screens.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts