RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Has anyone installed this yet in a 2015 RR Sport and have all or any issues sorted out? Also has anyone updated the cameras (rearview) as well?
I have sold a few RR Sport units and I've also installed a unit in a 2015 RR Sport...the RR Sport owners are very pleased with the unit. Forum member Keith2027 posted a review in the L405 forum...I guess he didn't know there was a thread here in the L494 forum. Look for member Keith2027 and read his review...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone installed this yet in a 2015 RR Sport and have all or any issues sorted out? Also has anyone updated the cameras (rearview) as well?
Just installed one in my 2016 RRS Dynamic Friday. I think anyone with a 14-16 would be nuts not to get this if they do anything besides listen to AM talk radio in their RRS. I did the install myself in my garage taking about two hours. All the issues I had were sorted by watching Ray’s set up video.

Recommend watching all the 405 and 494 install videos as there are nuggets of goodness in all of them. I played them again as I was doing the install and pausing them until I completed the step. Once it was buttoned up I started playing with it and it worked fine but tweaking the configuration following Ray’s set up video made it work buttery smooth to my liking.

The only two issues everyone mentions: boot up time, not sure about everyone else but this is a non issue for me. The dim AC temps/fam speed indication is there but such a small price to pay in my eyes for what you get.
Ray has everything well sorted to the point I never needed to contact him as all the info is available on his web site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just installed one in my 2016 RRS Dynamic Friday. I think anyone with a 14-16 would be nuts not to get this if they do anything besides listen to AM talk radio in their RRS. I did the install myself in my garage taking about two hours. All the issues I had were sorted by watching Ray’s set up video. Recommend watching all the 405 and 494 install videos as there are nuggets of goodness in all of them. I played them again as I was doing the install and pausing them until I completed the step. Once it was buttoned up I started playing with it and it worked fine but tweaking the configuration following Ray’s set up video made it work buttery smooth to my liking. The only two issues everyone mentions: boot up time, not sure about everyone else but this is a non issue for me. The dim AC temps/fam speed indication is there but such a small price to pay in my eyes for what you get. Ray has everything well sorted to the point I never needed to contact him as all the info is available on his web site.
I echo these comments. It took a few days to get used to Carplay, but know I can got back! The only issues I have are as you pointed out, the boot time is slow but you get used to it and the dim climate controls is a slight annoyance but totally worth it. The only thing that I really wish we could change, and it is not the fault of the unit or software, is the change in iOS 13 that now routes the phone calls to the dongle rather than the OEM bluetooth. Prior to iOS 13 it was perfect. Since I have my microphone jammed between the dash and steering wheel my callers say there is a lot of background (road) noise. Otherwise, I love this thing.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I echo these comments. It took a few days to get used to Carplay, but know I can got back! The only issues I have are as you pointed out, the boot time is slow but you get used to it and the dim climate controls is a slight annoyance but totally worth it. The only thing that I really wish we could change, and it is not the fault of the unit or software, is the change in iOS 13 that now routes the phone calls to the dongle rather than the OEM bluetooth. Prior to iOS 13 it was perfect. Since I have my microphone jammed between the dash and steering wheel my callers say there is a lot of background (road) noise. Otherwise, I love this thing.
I purchased an Alpine microphone on ebay that has a mounting clip included...

I haven't installed it yet but I hope it works a little better than the mic that was included with the Android screen. Hopefully there will be an iOS update soon to fix the call audio routing issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one of these great units installed in my RRS and have the wireless Carplay dongle also.

Does anyone know if i need to have bluetooth connected to the android head unit, or can i just connect to the dongle? Or will having it connected only to the dongle not allow the use of the RR mic?

I'm not sure, but I think they may be conflicting each other when trying to connect (but could be wrong).....so any help or advise would be great.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I have one of these great units installed in my RRS and have the wireless Carplay dongle also.

Does anyone know if i need to have bluetooth connected to the android head unit, or can i just connect to the dongle? Or will having it connected only to the dongle not allow the use of the RR mic?

I'm not sure, but I think they may be conflicting each other when trying to connect (but could be wrong).....so any help or advise would be great.
Did you purchase your unit from Android Aftershock?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yes Ray.....everything is working great.

Just wondering if I need both bluetooth sources enabled or not?
I don't use the Android bluetooth at all. The CarPlay dongle has it's own wifi and bluetooth connection and it uses the microphone included with the Android unit. However, I don't recommend using wireless CarPlay because it's not that stable. I always have mine plugged in and it works great. Before iOS 13, I was able to use the Range Rover bluetooth connection along with CarPlay. However, something in iOS 13 changed the call audio routing and it conflicts with CarPlay when trying to make or receive calls. Therefore, I ended up removing the Range Rover bluetooth connection from my iPhone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks very much Ray.

One last question if you don't mind - when putting into reverse the OEM system is very bright (the camera) is there anyway to make this a little dimmer as it's really bright especially when dark.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks very much Ray.

One last question if you don't mind - when putting into reverse the OEM system is very bright (the camera) is there anyway to make this a little dimmer as it's really bright especially when dark.
Go to the Android Setup menu and lower the display brightness...I have mine set to 35 all the time now but 25 is even better at night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s already set at only 10....but when putting into reverse the OEM system is really bright (camera only) the rest is fine

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
It’s already set at only 10....but when putting into reverse the OEM system is really bright (camera only) the rest is fine
That's interesting...I haven't noticed that with my unit and I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem. Can you send me a short video of what you're describing? I will forward it to my supplier and see if he has any information regarding that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told by the supplier that the software can not be updated on this current unit. However, they do take whatever input that I give them from customers and I was told that they are now working on a new project. He said that the new project will take some time and will cost more if we want everything to be perfect because the Range Rover has a difficult system to work with from the start. Anyway, I will keep you guys updated on whatever news I get from the supplier.
Is there any update on the new units?. Will it be available within few months or are we a year or better. Don't want to order this unit if there's another right around the corner.
Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Is there any update on the new units?. Will it be available within few months or are we a year or better. Don't want to order this unit if there's another right around the corner.
Thanks
I don't have any updates on the new project that they are working on. The current unit is already pretty good for the price. I do know that the new unit will cost more and I honestly don't think it will be that much better than the current unit other than a software update. I'm guessing the new unit will retail for around $1,500 or more...so if you think the upgrade will be worth paying that much money for then don't purchase this current unit. Consider it like when purchasing a new iPhone or tablet.

Note: If you're planning on just using the unit for CarPlay mainly then the current unit is great and worth the upgrade from your factory unit. CarPlay is built into the iOS software so it stands alone when connected to the CarPlay dongle plugged into the Android unit. Therefore, the Android software version is not an issue anyway. I'm speaking from experience in my own Range Rover...I use CarPlay only so the Android software is no concern for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for responding. I want be using CarPlay, android user myself. So I will be ordering the current version from you if I decide to keep the vehicle.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks for responding. I want be using CarPlay, android user myself. So I will be ordering the current version from you if I decide to keep the vehicle.
The current unit seems to run pretty smooth on Android 7.1 as long as you don't have a lot of apps on the system. I've deleted any and all apps that I don't use at and the system runs pretty good. I don't think you will be disappointed in the current unit and software if your just doing the basic stuff like music apps and navigation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The current unit seems to run pretty smooth on Android 7.1 as long as you don't have a lot of apps on the system. I've deleted any and all apps that I don't use at and the system runs pretty good. I don't think you will be disappointed in the current unit and software if your just doing the basic stuff like music apps and navigation.
Okay thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ray once we can get a software update to speed up boot-up time I'm a buyer immediately for my 2015 RR Sport. On a side note, dealer gave me a 2019 Velar as a loaner this week and these new head units are gorgeous! Do you know if there are any plans to make something that replicates these in the near future?

it would also be great to get the main menu screens similar to these.

IMG_8700.jpg

IMG_8699.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Ray once we can get a software update to speed up boot-up time I'm a buyer immediately for my 2015 RR Sport. On a side note, dealer gave me a 2019 Velar as a loaner this week and these new head units are gorgeous! Do you know if there are any plans to make something that replicates these in the near future?

it would also be great to get the main menu screens similar to these.

View attachment 282537

View attachment 282538
The Android main display screen can be changed in the setup menu by switching the Theme...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
The CarPlay display screen is an iOS feature...this is enabled by connecting your iPhone to the Android unit using the included CarPlay dongle.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts