RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is this the wireless adaptor? The USB dongle hooks where? The USB connector in the armrest?

View attachment 281060
That’s the CarPlay dongle. You’ll attach that to the USB input on the new wiring loom.

Key thing to remember - the beauty of this system is all the factory system continues to work as it did from the factory. That means that all inputs that were originally in your car will function as they did before you did this install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Below is my quick write up with video links and tools needed for each of the major steps to install this unit in a L494. Hope this helps those of you taking the plunge.

1. Remove the dash and screen
15 minutes
Tools needed
T-20

2. Upgrading the headunit
25 minutes
Tools needed - T-8, Allen wrench

3. Removing HVAC controls to get to CD player
Tools needed - 8mm socket, T-20
15 minutes

4. Putting it all back together
Tools needed - 8mm socket, T-20
20 minutes

5. Programming the unit
15 minutes

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Suggest you both watch the install video for the 405.

You have to pull the CD player to plug into it. The CD player sits behind the HVAC controls. The HVAC controls can only be removed by removing the silver trim.
There is a female USB socket on the other end of the carplay wireless dongle. I am assuming that is where I need to plug in a USB cable for tethered connect to my iPhone if I needed to?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There is a female USB socket on the other end of the carplay wireless dongle. I am assuming that is where I need to plug in a USB cable for tethered connect to my iPhone if I needed to?
Yes, your phone charging cable plugs into that end for wired connection...The AutoPlay app that's pre-installed on the unit will be your app for CarPlay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Took the plunge today with the install. Wasn't bad at all.

The videos posted above pretty much get into everything you need to know. For the center console silver pieces I just removed the rear AC vent cover. Removed the two socket screws and then used a set of plastic prying tools I have. pulling up was the secret there.

Took me about 2 hours with lots of going back inside and checking in on the pups.

Definitely sharpens up the vehicle and CarPlay is awesome. I did have to update my unit for CarPlay to show as option though.

few pictures attached.

·
Registered
38 Posts
View attachment 281063
Took the plunge today with the install. Wasn't bad at all.

The videos posted above pretty much get into everything you need to know. For the center console silver pieces I just removed the rear AC vent cover. Removed the two socket screws and then used a set of plastic prying tools I have. pulling up was the secret there.

Took me about 2 hours with lots of going back inside and checking in on the pups.

Definitely sharpens up the vehicle and CarPlay is awesome. I did have to update my unit for CarPlay to show as option though.

few pictures attached.
Thanks for the post, I am so on the fence about this as I am desperately wanting Carplay and an improved rear camera. The slow boot up is my main concern. Member W84IT has been awesome in his fast replies.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Does the two cables from the OEM side panels on the radio plug into anything on the Android unit?
Please watch the install videos...
The plug from the left side button pack plugs into the Android harness...the right side is plugged back into the right button pack and tucked behind the unit.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Got it. Now I am stuck on taking the trim off to remove the CD. I did take the rear seat HVAC trim off, but can’t seem to pull the long trim along the center console.

In the video it seems like it just comes off. Not in my case.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got it. Now I am stuck on taking the trim off to remove the CD. I did take the rear seat HVAC trim off, but can’t seem to pull the long trim along the center console.

In the video it seems like it just comes off. Not in my case.
Use a pry tool to gently pull up the trim...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Use a pry tool to gently pull up the trim...
View attachment 281065
Figured it out once I found my trim removal tool. It was easier for me to pull from back end of it than the front.

My biggest misconception about this install was that I did not need to take the CD player out and connect cables from the android unit. Plus, the TX heat does not make it any easier to work in ones garage.

Should have watched the videos all the way through...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the post, I am so on the fence about this as I am desperately wanting Carplay and an improved rear camera. The slow boot up is my main concern. Member W84IT has been awesome in his fast replies.
I honestly don't even notice the slow boot up.. the OEM system would always take a hot minute to connect or let me navigate around.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Figured it out once I found my trim removal tool. It was easier for me to pull from back end of it than the front.

My biggest misconception about this install was that I did not need to take the CD player out and connect cables from the android unit. Plus, the TX heat does not make it any easier to work in ones garage.

I feel you. I did it in my drive way where it was about 90 degrees today in Los Angeles.

My big mistake was getting it all in (minus the dash trim) then realizing I forgot to put the USB apple car play block in.

·
Registered
120 Posts

100% agree that its much easier to remove side aluminum pieces from the back. The install also took me about 3 hours in the TX heat mixed with watching the videos. If you have ever installed a radio in your life you can easily do this. The only "messy" bit is trimming the plastic tabs to remove the trim piece. I used a dremel tool and cut off wheel. It made quick work of it. I also suggest gluing the tabs of the new one as opposed to just pushing it in. Mine wanted to keep popping out without the glue.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The only "messy" bit is trimming the plastic tabs to remove the trim piece. I used a dremel tool and cut off wheel. It made quick work of it. I also suggest gluing the tabs of the new one as opposed to just pushing it in. Mine wanted to keep popping out without the glue.
I have just reached up to the point where I have to take the CD Player and the front HVAC panel.

Which plastic tabs are you talking about? The ones on the long trim that runs on both sides of the center console? Here is how mine looks after the trim is off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Updated to iOS 13 beta last night and running the new Apple car play. Definitely an improvement.

I’m going to try hardwired just because I like the fact of it charging my phone.
In the L405 forums j saw mention of the self parking feature not working anymore and I think I can confirm this.

its there on the button packs in style 2 but doesn’t activate anything on the dash.Not really a problem for me since I think I’ve used that feature once and it was to show someone how I’d probably never use it haha.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have just reached up to the point where I have to take the CD Player and the front HVAC panel.

Which plastic tabs are you talking about? The ones on the long trim that runs on both sides of the center console? Here is how mine looks after the trim is off.

View attachment 281069

View attachment 281070
No, you don’t mess with those tabs. I am talking about the tabs for the replacement face bezel. I shouldn’t have included that sentence without clarification while talking about removing the side trim pieces.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Just a quick review of the features which I was not sure would continue to work or not -

• HUD works as it did before the upgrade
  • Speed limit sign works. Although, there were couple of times it did not. I don’t think it is an issue with the Android unit.
  • lane departure indicator works
  • HUD works even with CarPlay enabled. No navigation info is displayed on the HUD in the CarPlay mode.
It is worth the upgrade if you are looking for a modern updated car infotainment experience.

Plus, the support and service from Ray is exceptional, even at after 9pm Central.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Has anyone noticed after the Android unit install that the AC controls are so dim that they are hardly visible during the day?
Yes, this has been noted. I have been in contact with my supplier to see if the engineer has a fix for this. However, I think the light sensor is located on the side button packs that are now hidden inside the dash.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
12 Participants
W84IT
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing