Range Rovers Forum banner
501 - 520 of 525 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Hi Ray,

For all of us having the unit running Android 9, any possibility to upgrade for the latest firmware. I remember at the time one of the selling points for Android 9 units were the fact it could be upgraded via USB stick.

Helio
The Android 9 system firmware can be updated via USB but the software can't be upgraded to Android 10 due to different hardware. The system firmware update is only necessary if there seems to be problems with the unit functioning properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The main menu on your new units look much better than the dull grey one that's on my android 9. Is there anyway to update this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, need some advise here, hope someone can help. I have this similar unit installed. All works well except few quirks.
1. The start up is android auto robot instead of range rover logo. Anyway to change that?
2. Carplay will connect when I tap

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, need some advise here, hope someone can help. I have this similar unit installed. All works well except few quirks.
1. The start up is android auto robot instead of range rover logo. Anyway to change that?
2. Carplay will connect when I tap on carplay on the screen. It doesnt connect automatically
3. When I make incoming or outgoing call, sometimes my iphone bluetooth will show connected to local host and no sound. I need to change to the unit bluetooth before the voice comes out from the oem speaker.
4. my unit has no sim card slot but I can connect hotspot. However whenever I try to connect to a network, the bluetooth gets disconnected automatically and hence carplay also disconnect.
seems like bluetooth and wifi cannot co exisit
5. Lastly whenever I press the voice command on steering, google assistant came up instead of siri. Since I dont have network, google voice is useless.

otherwise the unit is nice and carplay is good. Start up also took around 10sec only.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
2. Carplay will connect when I tap on carplay on the screen. It doesnt connect automatically
3. When I make incoming or outgoing call, sometimes my iphone bluetooth will show connected to local host and no sound. I need to change to the unit bluetooth before the voice comes out from the oem speaker.
4. my unit has no sim card slot but I can connect hotspot. However whenever I try to connect to a network, the bluetooth gets disconnected automatically and hence carplay also disconnect.
seems like bluetooth and wifi cannot co exisit
5. Lastly whenever I press the voice command on steering, google assistant came up instead of siri. Since I dont have network, google voice is useless.

otherwise the unit is nice and carplay is good. Start up also took around 10sec only.
Thanks
Answering my own question that I posted and ploughing through the thread for L405 as well as here, I managed to solve item 1-3. So is really some nitty gritty issue left for me. This is indeed a good upgrade.

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
88 Posts
Were you able to find the upgraded temp control easily? Could you message me how you found?
I went on car-part.com and searched for a 2016 sports heater controls. Make sure you get part# GPLA18A802DH there are some posted that still have the trim piece covering the part# sticker. Have them remove the trim and confirm the part#.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has the brightness issue been solved? No matter what settings I adjust, auto brightness doesn't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently made the upgrade myself and installation was fairly straightforward. I would suggest watching all of the installation videos more than one time so you know your plan of attack. If you are installing in L494 I would suggest watching another video by PowerfulUK that shows how to remove the center console parts of the L494 as their installation video shows for L405 and you have to remove the hockey stick style trim on the L494 differently. I also spent the time to route the USB cord through the console up through the middle near the other 2 USB ports. I purchased a flat shorter USB connector so I could remove as little as possible and make it not very noticeable. I also used a GPS splitter as Ray suggested in his Android 10 unit video and it works perfectly. It took me about 2 nights of 2 hours each to complete it exactly as I wanted and took my time not to break or mess up anything. Everything works as expected and Ray was really quick with any questions I had. Highly recommend purchasing from him. I will say if anyone is near southeastern tennessee, and needs help in person, feel free to message me, but the videos and having Ray available is most likely all they help you will need!

·
Registered
2014 Vogue Silver with 22" wheels
4 Posts
A few weeks ago I installed one of Ray's Android units in my RRS. One of the biggest issues for me was the boot time along with getting an app running that would play my MP3's with certain controls. I've solved both!
  • For the boot time, I've taken a small board that I use for other automotive products and adapted it to the RRS(and probably anything JLR from 2014 to at least 2018, maybe newer). This board now allows me to get the headunit boot started by something like opening doors, unlocking the vehicle, or even just hitting the headlight button on the keyfob. It also gives some retained accessory power after ignition so that the headunit(without audio, I need to see if I can kick-start the audio module) is still powered until a door is opened. This little board also goes to sleep(<10mA) and wakes when needed. I took into account a range of use cases in the firmware.
Hi Gelfackt - any news on being able to purchase one of your boards to speed up the boot time for Version 9 head units? Thanks - John

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
591 Posts
Ray, is the Android 10 unit a plug-n-play unit or does one still have to remove & re-install boards from the factory to the new unit?

·
Registered
2015 RRS Supercharged V8 - Loire Blue/Silver roof
4 Posts
Hi, I've read through all of the pages here and watched many videos and I have a question about the radio. How does listening to FM or Sirius XM work, do I have to go to the original interface or do I click the "media" tile on the new interface? I primarily will do CarPlay or just listen to Sirius XM.

Also, does this kit Ray come with the glossy trim reducer going from the silver trim to the screen?

Thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, I've read through all of the pages here and watched many videos and I have a question about the radio. How does listening to FM or Sirius XM work, do I have to go to the original interface or do I click the "media" tile on the new interface? I primarily will do CarPlay or just listen to Sirius XM.

Also, does this kit Ray come with the glossy trim reducer going from the silver trim to the screen?

Thank you
Yes, you go back into the old system to use the radio or XM. The kit does come with the glossy trim.

501 - 520 of 525 Posts