Range Rovers Forum banner
481 - 500 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
92 Posts
A few weeks ago I installed one of Ray's Android units in my RRS. One of the biggest issues for me was the boot time along with getting an app running that would play my MP3's with certain controls. I've solved both!
  • For the boot time, I've taken a small board that I use for other automotive products and adapted it to the RRS(and probably anything JLR from 2014 to at least 2018, maybe newer). This board now allows me to get the headunit boot started by something like opening doors, unlocking the vehicle, or even just hitting the headlight button on the keyfob. It also gives some retained accessory power after ignition so that the headunit(without audio, I need to see if I can kick-start the audio module) is still powered until a door is opened. This little board also goes to sleep(<10mA) and wakes when needed. I took into account a range of use cases in the firmware.
  • Basically, as I get ready to head out to the RRS I hit the headlight button on the fob and by the time I'm in the driver's seat, the unit is awake and ready to go. If I forget to hit the button, as soon as I unlock or open a door, the unit starts booting, too. Open a door, but don't hit ignition, the board shuts off the unit after a short period of time. It's all been fine in the RRS for over a week now and no battery issues.
  • There's no headunit firmware/software change, it's just a harness update and a small board/box. So if you have an existing unit or looking to get a new headunit, it'll work with all. I'm working with Ray to possibly get these offered in the very near future, so stay tuned.
  • Music app: I found the GoneMAD Music player. It offers controls like easy album and folder browsing, plus gives a split screen of the song on the left and the album grid on the right. I mentioned earlier that I miss the < and > buttons on the L320 panels, so this music player offers that in a screen long-press or a gesture. Just last night, I tied this into Tasker to bring up GoneMAD when the unit boots. Still have a few kinks to work out there, but from a cold boot it works. Tasker may also work for those that want to have the unit boot directly into the OEM screen. I may try that setup on the weekend.

My main goal for this headunit was a good music player and a sharp screen. I don't do music streaming(yet) and instead use either my huge MP3 collection or satellite radio. Now, with a good app and what almost looks like instant boot, this unit is turning out to be really nice!
Oooh...very interested in this add-on. Any updates on making these available for purchase?

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
Oooh...very interested in this add-on. Any updates on making these available for purchase?
I've been swamped with projects but I expect to have a better idea of the "boot-board" availability after next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am extremely interested in upgrading stock head unit as I just traded in a 2018 Challenger and love Android Auto.
I had asked on reddit about upgrading head unit and the answers I got were basically don't do it because you lose stock functionality. With this head unit, I believe you keep everything stock right? Also, I am not very mechanically/electrically inclined but I can follow directions well. Is there anything stock you lose with this (particularly with rear entertainment, I bought one specifically that had rear entertainment for my toddler) and are the instructions easy for a newb like me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am extremely interested in upgrading stock head unit as I just traded in a 2018 Challenger and love Android Auto.
I had asked on reddit about upgrading head unit and the answers I got were basically don't do it because you lose stock functionality. With this head unit, I believe you keep everything stock right? Also, I am not very mechanically/electrically inclined but I can follow directions well. Is there anything stock you lose with this (particularly with rear entertainment, I bought one specifically that had rear entertainment for my toddler) and are the instructions easy for a newb like me?
Yes, you keep stock and reversible.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
258 Posts
A quick shout out to Ray if Android Aftershock. Bought the unit and had Ray install it. Great guy, very efficient and at least for the quick time I had with it a great upgrade. Ray couldn’t have been nicer. Had a bit of a heartburn about giving my car to a stranger for 4 hours. Need not have worried.
And Ray is a real Range Rover guy. Came to meet in his new Defender. Bottom line. You can’t go wrong with Ray. In my way to LA and will give impressions tonight.

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Yes, you keep all of your factory/OEM features with this Android unit installed. Please visit my website and subscribe to my YouTube channel to see all videos related to the Android unit.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
258 Posts
After driving from Indio to LA and then onto Monterey, I can say without equivocation this is a great upgrade. I continue to have some phone connectivity issues that I am certain can be worked out. (Ray, i will be texting). The larger screen is brilliant. I could show my route in great resolution or have the route plus what music I was playing. Finding the "home" button is proving tricky and getting to my autoplay is probably just an old guy not using the system correctly. Overall, great upgrade. I am noticing that I will need to clean the screen more often since it is very bright and distinct.

Again, want to let all know that Ray is a great guy, trustworthy and a true Range Rover person. He couldn't have been nicer. The truck was perfect when he returned it. All is all, very happy now.

Reactions: W84IT

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Yes and No...Android Auto is only configured for wired connection...Apple CarPlay is configured for wired or wireless. If you have the AutoPlay CarPlay app set to wireless and synced with your phone then it will automatically try to connect when the screen has booted up and if your phone is near.

2. The software bugs with the CarPlay adapter seem to be fixed as far as I can tell. I haven't had any issues since installing the last update.

3. All of your OEM functions remain the same except the dual view of the screen. The 2 circuit boards that you transfer to the new screen is what allows you to keep your OEM functions.
You mentioned dual view screen changing. What happens with dual view? I really like my dual screen so don't want anything affecting it. Can you confirm if this is a problem?

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
You mentioned dual view screen changing. What happens with dual view? I really like my dual screen so don't want anything affecting it. Can you confirm if this is a problem?
There's no problem. The screen dual view seems to be an OEM option that was available in the UK. I haven't seen that feature in any Range Rovers here in the US. It's basically just a feature that allows your front passenger to see video on the screen while the vehicle is in motion. The driver won't be able to see the video. I'm sure this has been discussed before on this forum.

The Android system on the other hand does allow video in motion when using the Android based media or streaming apps so most customers are not even concerned about loosing the OEM dual view feature.

Anyway, if you're concerned about loosing the OEM screen dual view feature then this unit is not for you.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 · (Edited)
Do you have any in stock now?
Currently out of stock on the Android 10 version but next shipment arrives by the end of this week or early next week. Feel free to place your order now to reserve one of the units from the new shipment. The L494 units have been selling out fast.

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
88 Posts
Currently out of stock on the Android 10 version but next shipment arrives by the end of this week or early next week. Feel free to place your order now to reserve one of the units from the new shipment. The L494 units have been selling out fast.
Just ordered a unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Hi Ray,

For all of us having the unit running Android 9, any possibility to upgrade for the latest firmware. I remember at the time one of the selling points for Android 9 units were the fact it could be upgraded via USB stick.

Helio

481 - 500 of 525 Posts