21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at this for the L494 (Rover sport) , but the website shows everything out to stock. any update on when these will be available again or how to order now on backorder?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looking at this for the L494 (Rover sport) , but the website shows everything out to stock. any update on when these will be available again or how to order now on backorder?
Yes, they are out of stock right now...check the website again in about 5-7 days...I have a new shipment on the way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Received mine today. Should be able to try an install this Sunday.

Thank you again

I saw some of these questions were answered in the L405 forum but could benefit some here

1) included speaker. Do I need to install this if I only plan on using CarPlay navigation? Will turn by turn directions be audible through the OEM speakers ?

2) GPS antenna. Needed if mainly using CarPlay or stock navigation? I don’t have any real intention to be inside the android auto universe. Just the oem one and CarPlay.

3) microphone. Needed fo Siri??

Thank you again ! Looking forward to the install.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thank you again

I saw some of these questions were answered in the L405 forum but could benefit some here

1) included speaker. Do I need to install this if I only plan on using CarPlay navigation? Will turn by turn directions be audible through the OEM speakers ?

2) GPS antenna. Needed if mainly using CarPlay or stock navigation? I don’t have any real intention to be inside the android auto universe. Just the oem one and CarPlay.

All questions I was interested in as well.

I’ll be working on mine tomorrow as well.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

Thank you again

+1

Mine is being delivered today. I don’t have any Android based phones and never will. So, I just want the wireless Apple car play. It’ll save quite a bit of time running wires all over the place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
W84IT - decided to install mine today and came across this pigtail in the box that I’m unsure what it is and where it goes. It’s not covered in any of the videos. Any ideas?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
W84IT - decided to install mine today and came across this pigtail in the box that I’m unsure what it is and where it goes. It’s not covered in any of the videos. Any ideas?

That cable is not needed for the Range Rover...not sure why it was included

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

Thank you again

1. The included speaker is for the Android Navigation voice only from what I can tell. If you’re using the CarPlay navigation, the audio will be heard through the OEM speakers.
  2. The GPS antenna is not needed for CarPlay or the OEM Navigation…your OEM navigation will still use the OEM antenna.
  3. Yes, I believe the included microphone is used for Siri but I’m not 100% sure. I haven’t tested it enough but I will get around to…it seems that Siri could also be using the OEM microphone due to the phone being connected to the OEM Bluetooth…or maybe Siri uses the microphones built into the phone itself. Either way, I know Siri works when I’m connected to CarPlay.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am very interested to hear what Android users think of this system. In a previous time I fitted android units to another vehicle. although some features where good I ended up back at the OME as integration wasn't up to my expectations.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Hey guys, it would help if we keep all the questions and answers here on the thread. I've been getting a lot of the same questions through private message and I've done my best to answer them all in a timely manner but I figure we can all save time while also helping others by posting everything related to the Android units here in this thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How easy/difficult was the install?
Not at all difficult. Took a bit under 2 hours start to finish. I had never dug into my Sport before yesterday, but I am fairly tech / mechanically savvy. I watched the youtube videos a couple of times and had my tools ready before digging in.

I can’t imagine it would take longer than 3 hours... even if you stopped every 30 minutes for a cold one. I’ll write something up and post it for the steps I took and the timings.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Not at all difficult. Took a bit under 2 hours start to finish. I had never dug into my Sport before yesterday, but I am fairly tech / mechanically savvy. I watched the youtube videos a couple of times and had my tools ready before digging in.

I can’t imagine it would take longer than 3 hours... even if you stopped every 30 minutes for a cold one. I’ll write something up and post it for the steps I took and the timings.
Thanks. I will start mine tomorrow or the next weekend. Used to be handy with installing car audio equipment back when and it has been 15+ years since I have done it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
12 Participants
W84IT
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing