RangeRovers.net Forum banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I assumed it was like the “dot” on the 7.1 and could be turned off in the settings... guessing that’s not the case now.
That's correct, it's like the "dot" that can be turned off on the 7.1 unit. The "dot" on the 9.0 can not be turned off...it actually serves more purpose than it did on the 7.1 so you wouldn't want to turn it off anyway.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
Any pics of the floating home button ?
The button expands into 4 buttons when it's pressed...each button has a different function. It's very helpful once you learn how to use it. The button also dims/fades after a few seconds of inactivity so that it doesn't stand out on the screen as much...a simple touch will wake it back up. It enables you to easily navigate from the Android menu to CarPlay to the OEM display menu without much effort. The OEM display menu does not show this button at all but all you have to do is press the home button in the upper left corner on the OEM display menu to navigate back to Android or CarPlay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quick update... New unit installed. Nothing to add on feature function beyond what has already been mentioned. The quick access "dot" is really good and much easier to navigate. It's unobtrusive, which was my biggest concern. Great add.

Also - With Ray's approval, I'd like to mention that I have my 7.1 Android Unit for sale. It's a capacitive Unit for the Sport. Shoot me a direct message if you are interested.

Details here - F/S - 10.25” Android Head Unit

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE TD6
10 Posts
Hi all. First time poster here but long time LR owner. I just picked up my new to me 2016 L494 HSE Diesel and love it to pieces. I’ve contacted Ray a couple of times and he’s been extremely responsive. I’m almost ready to take the plunge but just wondering if anyone has any videos or can comment on the key areas that I use the most:

1. 360 Cameras: I used these a few times a day for parking. Wondering how the unit displays them, how the different views are controlled and general use in comparison to OEM
2. Seat and Climate control. I have young kids in the back and I control their climate from the head unit. How does the Unit display and handle it?
3. Self parking. Is this working in the newest version?
4. Bluetooth Audio. I’ve seen so many posts about this, just wondering what the current function is. Does it work through OEM or through an external mic. I’d prefer not to route a third party mic if I don’t have to.
5. Do all of the steering wheel functions still work?

sorry for all of the questions.

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Hi all. First time poster here but long time LR owner. I just picked up my new to me 2016 L494 HSE Diesel and love it to pieces. I’ve contacted Ray a couple of times and he’s been extremely responsive. I’m almost ready to take the plunge but just wondering if anyone has any videos or can comment on the key areas that I use the most:

1. 360 Cameras: I used these a few times a day for parking. Wondering how the unit displays them, how the different views are controlled and general use in comparison to OEM
2. Seat and Climate control. I have young kids in the back and I control their climate from the head unit. How does the Unit display and handle it?
4. Bluetooth Audio. I’ve seen so many posts about this, just wondering what the current function is. Does it work through OEM or through an external mic. I’d prefer not to route a third party mic if I don’t have to.

sorry for all of the questions.

thanks in advance!
I have videos posted on my website.

You can also find more info and probably answers to any question you might have in the L405 section...

·
Registered
207 Posts
The answer to all your questions is, that you still can switch to the OEM at any time. All functions of the OEM work exactly as before, including climate control, bluetooth and self parking. My installer upgraded my unit for free which made the switch to the OEM even better (no more clunky button at the bottom of the screen). My installer is in Markham, Ontario (4x4 Shop Android), and i am very happy with their price, install and technical support.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
The answer to all your questions is, that you still can switch to the OEM at any time. All functions of the OEM work exactly as before, including climate control, bluetooth and self parking. My installer upgraded my unit for free which made the switch to the OEM even better (no more clunky button at the bottom of the screen). My installer is in Markham, Ontario (4x4 Shop Android), and i am very happy with their price, install and technical support.
I just want to remind this forum who you are...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you, Ray, I appreciate this. As many people said before, you are a real gentleman. From what I read, your customer service is exceptional. I have no problem to recommend you if someone asked. Again: Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Thank you, Ray, I appreciate this. As many people said before, you are a real gentleman. From what I read, your customer service is exceptional. I have no problem to recommend you if someone asked. Again: Thank you.
gwengler, obviously you do have a problem recommending me because you keep mentioning 4x4Shop.ca even though you have followed me on this forum to gain all the info you could in regards to these Android units...I understand that's where your loyalty is at but let me just give you a little history on the 4x4Shop.ca. When I first discovered these Android units last year, the 4x4Shop.ca was one of the first companies that I tried to contact. They had the 10.25" Android 7.1 unit listed at over $1500 on their website at the time. I was willing to pay this amount because I was so desperate to have something a little better than the OEM system. Anyway, after I emailed them twice and no response, I then continued to search and found Andy who works for Canavie. I ended up purchasing my first unit from Andy and I really don't want to get into all the details but to make a long story short, I had problems and Andy wasn't very helpful. Don't get me wrong, Andy is a great guy but he just wasn't very helpful when it comes to the technical stuff. Most of the things about the unit I had to learn on my own through trail and error...

Anyway, after doing further research, I found out that Canavie was not the company that made these units but they purchase them at wholesale and offer them at retail. My friend, Simon, in the UK told me that Merryway is actually the company that manufacturers these units. This is when I got the idea to contact Merryway directly and work out a deal with them to sell these units myself. After working out the deal with Merryway, I've spent countless hours on the WeChat app to help the Merryway owner and engineers further develop these units into what you have installed in your Range Rover today. The feedback from the initial trial and error of my very first unit install is what they used to improve the unit overall and I continue that feedback with them for further development and bug fixes. So you see, all the information that 4x4Shop.ca is able to provide to their customers is due to all the work that I've put in with the engineers to help improve these units. Many late nights and early mornings for me because China is about 15 hours ahead of my time hear in California. I think my customers speak loud and clear in regards to my after sales support and I highly doubt if Canavie or 4x4Shop.ca can match that. I've shared all the info that I have with this forum and there has been some that have taken that info but choose to purchase from Canavie or 4x4Shop.ca due to their lower prices. I've also made myself available 7 days a week for customers that need assistance or technical support. With all that being said, it's obvious to me that there are a lot of people that will visit this forum for information that I have provided regarding the Android head units. However, there's no loyalty when it comes to who or where you will purchase the unit from especially when it comes down to saving a little money. Anyway, I totally understand that's just business and I'm not mad at anyone who's trying to stretch their dollars as far as they can. So now in order for me to keep my small business afloat, I have had to lower my prices to match the prices of Canavie and 4x4Shop.ca. Those 2 companies have been in business for way longer than I have and they move way more product than I do. Therefore they have way more room than I do to adjust their prices according to the market. Anyway, I will continue my contribution to the rangerovers.net community and hopefully I will continue to do well here in the USA market selling these units.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quick update... New unit installed. Nothing to add on feature function beyond what has already been mentioned. The quick access "dot" is really good and much easier to navigate. It's unobtrusive, which was my biggest concern. Great add.

Also - With Ray's approval, I'd like to mention that I have my 7.1 Android Unit for sale. It's a capacitive Unit for the Sport. Shoot me a direct message if you are interested.

Details here - F/S - 10.25” Android Head Unit
Just a another nudge if anyone is thinking about purchasing one of these, I have my 7.1 unit for sale on the ‘for sale’ section of the forum. I’ve lowered the price and will cover shipping to US 48.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am looking to upgrade my screen to yours ray, I have a 2014 Autobiography, is there anything i'd have to do different as far as the install? I worked as an installer about 15yrs ago, so I'm confident I can do a clean install myself. I'm just wanting to make sure I buy the correct unit and receive the latest version. The only things that bother me are all the mis-spelled words throughout the menus. Seriously? Any way to edit those, it "cheapens" the unit IMO.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #254 (Edited)
I am looking to upgrade my screen to yours ray, I have a 2014 Autobiography, is there anything i'd have to do different as far as the install? I worked as an installer about 15yrs ago, so I'm confident I can do a clean install myself. I'm just wanting to make sure I buy the correct unit and receive the latest version. The only things that bother me are all the mis-spelled words throughout the menus. Seriously? Any way to edit those, it "cheapens" the unit IMO.
I'm not sure what words you're referring to but I think the Android 7.1 unit only had a couple words that where not spelled correctly in the settings menu but you don't have to even look at that menu after the unit has been setup properly. The new Android 9.0 version does not have that issue at all after the latest file update. I can text you some screen shots of the settings menu if you need confirmation.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
badgus, I stand corrected...there is one word that is not spelled correctly in the hidden settings menu. This is the menu that you need to enter the code 666666 to access. Therefore, there's no reason to even access this menu once you have the unit set up properly. It's definitely not anything to be concerned about but I will ask the engineers to correct this in the next system file update. Other than that, I just think you are being too picky and you probably should not even purchase this unit if you're concerned about something so minor. A mis-spelled word does not "CHEAPEN" the unit. The performance of this unit speaks for itself even if ALL the words in the settings/setup menu were not spelled correctly because you only have to access that menu during your initial setup. I also think that the engineers would be insulted to hear someone say that a mis-spelled word cheapens the unit. I am very grateful for what they have created for those of us who have the 2013-2016 model Range Rovers which have such outdated factory infotainment.

See the attached photos...the Door Information option in the setup menu has the word CLOSE spelled wrong. I will ask the engineers to change open/close to on/off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I am nit-picking at this point. It doesn't bother me to that extent, I've ordered the unit, hopefully the install goes smooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
gwengler, obviously you do have a problem recommending me because you keep mentioning 4x4Shop.ca even though you have followed me on this forum to gain all the info you could in regards to these Android units...I understand that's where your loyalty is at but let me just give you a little history on the 4x4Shop.ca. When I first discovered these Android units last year, the 4x4Shop.ca was one of the first companies that I tried to contact. They had the 10.25" Android 7.1 unit listed at over $1500 on their website at the time. I was willing to pay this amount because I was so desperate to have something a little better than the OEM system. Anyway, after I emailed them twice and no response, I then continued to search and found Andy who works for Canavie. I ended up purchasing my first unit from Andy and I really don't want to get into all the details but to make a long story short, I had problems and Andy wasn't very helpful. Don't get me wrong, Andy is a great guy but he just wasn't very helpful when it comes to the technical stuff. Most of the things about the unit I had to learn on my own through trail and error...

Anyway, after doing further research, I found out that Canavie was not the company that made these units but they purchase them at wholesale and offer them at retail. My friend, Simon, in the UK told me that Merryway is actually the company that manufacturers these units. This is when I got the idea to contact Merryway directly and work out a deal with them to sell these units myself. After working out the deal with Merryway, I've spent countless hours on the WeChat app to help the Merryway owner and engineers further develop these units into what you have installed in your Range Rover today. The feedback from the initial trial and error of my very first unit install is what they used to improve the unit overall and I continue that feedback with them for further development and bug fixes. So you see, all the information that 4x4Shop.ca is able to provide to their customers is due to all the work that I've put in with the engineers to help improve these units. Many late nights and early mornings for me because China is about 15 hours ahead of my time hear in California. I think my customers speak loud and clear in regards to my after sales support and I highly doubt if Canavie or 4x4Shop.ca can match that. I've shared all the info that I have with this forum and there has been some that have taken that info but choose to purchase from Canavie or 4x4Shop.ca due to their lower prices. I've also made myself available 7 days a week for customers that need assistance or technical support. With all that being said, it's obvious to me that there are a lot of people that will visit this forum for information that I have provided regarding the Android head units. However, there's no loyalty when it comes to who or where you will purchase the unit from especially when it comes down to saving a little money. Anyway, I totally understand that's just business and I'm not mad at anyone who's trying to stretch their dollars as far as they can. So now in order for me to keep my small business afloat, I have had to lower my prices to match the prices of Canavie and 4x4Shop.ca. Those 2 companies have been in business for way longer than I have and they move way more product than I do. Therefore they have way more room than I do to adjust their prices according to the market. Anyway, I will continue my contribution to the rangerovers.net community and hopefully I will continue to do well here in the USA market selling these units.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@W84IT all good, nicely said.. I think you right in terms of loyalty and support. I can speak first hand for your commitment to success. I will also say that I love my Android unit. I am a technical guy by trade and for sure I could not have my setup running the way it does today without your support. There is a lot of steps to complete in the right order and you can easily mess it up if someone is not there to rely on to support you. For me being in Europe, you did a great job in communication 7 days a week and even speaking quickly with the engineers to address issues or questions I had.

Keep being you, don't change what you do or how you do it... wishing you much success.

I am 100% happy with the unit i purchased from you and it's a night and day positive difference from the OEM unit.

241 - 260 of 284 Posts