RangeRovers.net Forum banner

201 - 220 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
Austin, I'm not worried or concerned at all about your post regarding information to make people aware of what they're getting into. That's what the forum is all about. I'm more concerned about you not being happy with your purchase.

You stated,
"I'll be honest, I have CarPlay now, which is great, but was it really worth $1400? - I don't know - if they could resolve a few of the small things above, I would be 100% in, but at this point, I'm hesitant about my decision." That statement is what prompted my response.

The AUX audio noise has been discussed several times on this forum so I assumed you were aware of that before you purchased the unit. If I'm not mistaken, the shiny screen/bright screen has been discussed as well. I've also provided many photos and videos of the screen.

Anyway, I just don't want anyone to get discouraged from purchasing such a great upgrade for their Range Rover due to those small issues...even if you don't purchase from me. However, if such small issues would bother you that much then this unit is NOT for you.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Austin,
The AUX audio buzzing can be reduced if you simply turn your OEM volume all the way down first...then increase the Android volume to the max...after that, you can then increase the OEM volume gradually without hardly even noticing the AUX audio buzzing. I have informed the supplier and engineer of this issue and they are working on a solution.

The shiny reflection/glare on the screen can probably be fixed with some type of film on the screen or maybe a screen protector. I think it would be hard to have such high screen resolution without having that reflection issue. So I think it's a bit of a trade off but I could be wrong about that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "corner pop-up menu" but if you're referring to the little virtual home button/back button that allows you to go back to the main menu then yes it is a little annoying but I guess it's just a new feature that comes with the 9.0 version. I will ask the engineer if that virtual button can be removed. It was not on the 7.1 version so I don't see a need for it on the 9.0 version.

The 9.0 version boot up time is only about 10 seconds faster than the 7.1 version. However, if you are listening to any of your OEM sources then your music will start to play right away when you start the vehicle just like it did before. The audio is only delayed if you're using the AUX for the audio or CarPlay. Basically, if you're listening to a padcast on your phone, try connecting to the OEM bluetooth and use the bluetooth audio source instead of the AUX audio source...then you will be able to hear the audio right away without waiting for the screen to fully boot up.

Let me know if I can help with anything else...

Ray

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Ray!

To All,

Now that COVID has given some additional downtime, I keep trying to mess with the audio to fix - couple paths / questions for everyone:
  • OEM Bluetooth
    • This works the best and solves many issues: the bootup time issue, using factory mics which are much better, etc.
    • As I have seen in other posts, CarPlay continuously defaults you to the CarPlay audio and was a change that came with iOS 13.
    • Anyone with ways they have bypassed this? - my assumption is "no" since Apple controls software very tightly, but have tried looking for solutions with IFTTT, accessibility settings, etc.
    • If I could just get this to default to Bluetooth it would be the PERFECT solution
  • If no OEM back to Aux
    • I have tried to adjust android audio, but many of the Android settings don't make that much of a change.
    • This is both the volume (and main volume in Factory set) as well as new features like Brightness Ratio - not sure what is going on, but doesnt make a difference by changing
    • I just ordered some of the magnetic loops and going to try and put around some of the wires to try and stop the static - any one had success with this?
  • Aux Mic
    • Where are the best positions you have found for the mic? By the steering wheel seems to cause a lot of background to callers, when I'm on the freeway
Thanks all

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Hey guys, my supplier said that the engineers confirmed that the new Android 9.0 version software can be updated unlike the 7.1 version. However, the software update can't be done over the air. It has to be done by downloading the file onto a USB thumb drive and then plug it into the Android USB port. They will be sending me the software updates when available and I will then forward the updates to all customers that have purchased the 9.0 version from me.

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
225 Posts
Hey guys, my supplier said that the engineers confirmed that the new Android 9.0 version software can be updated unlike the 7.1 version. However, the software update can't be done over the air. It has to be done by downloading the file onto a USB thumb drive and then plug it into the Android USB port. They will be sending me the software updates when available and I will then forward the updates to all customers that have purchased the 9.0 version from me.
This is very good news. Really helps me make the decision to purchase once I find the proper Sport to buy.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Just to be clear, the software updates will only apply to fixing little bugs in the system. The Operating System itself can not be updated. The hardware would have to be updated as well to update Operating System.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
277 Posts
Hey Ray!

wirh all this down time I’m contemplating upgrading from your previous unit to the 9.0. Is the screen contrast and so on identical?

or is the 9.0 glossier ?

many discounts for an earlier buyer coming back for more ?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Hey Ray!

wirh all this down time I’m contemplating upgrading from your previous unit to the 9.0. Is the screen contrast and so on identical?

or is the 9.0 glossier ?

many discounts for an earlier buyer coming back for more ?
The screen quality seems to be a little better on the 9.0 but it does have a bit of glare when in direct sunlight. You can PM, Email or text me to get a 30% off special discount code for previous customers...please include the order number from your previous purchase. If you don't have it then just call me and I can look it up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good dialog and overall good and constructive feedback. My issue is, I bought the 9.0 unit for my 494 while visiting the states, now I am stuck in the states for who knows how long and my RRS sits in Germany.... So my 9.0 unit sits in the box waiting for me to get home to test it out.

I will also say, even before I bought, Ray was super supportive and responsive. Looking forward to seeing all the great things the unit does.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
277 Posts
Hey ray !

Did it ever come to light if the 9.0 harness allows the self parking to work opposed to modifying the harness like on the prior one ?

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Hey ray !

Did it ever come to light if the 9.0 harness allows the self parking to work opposed to modifying the harness like on the prior one ?
Well, I've installed the 9.0 version in the 2016 L405 that I just purchased last month and the self park doesn't seem to work. I have informed my supplier and the engineer and they said that the new harness for the 9.0 version should already be wired to allow the self parking to work. I've sent them a video of mine NOT working and they said that they would look into it. I'm sure it's going to be something as simple as switching a couple of wires on the harness like the 7.1 version but I'm not even going to bother with mine because I don't ever see myself using that feature anyway. I just want to make sure that it does work for people who want to keep that feature.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
New discount/coupon codes available starting today (4/1/2020)

30% discount for previous customer
10% discount for US military veteran
10% discount for rangerovers.net member with over 100 Posts
5% discount for rangerovers.net member with over 5 Posts

Please contact me to receive the discount/coupon codes before you place your order. If you are a previous customer then please provide your order number. Military veterans, please email a photo copy of your military ID.

·
Registered
‘16 HSE TD6 L494
38 Posts
I think it's best not to even inform the dealer of this unit being installed...just to be on the safe side. Every dealer is different
Better to ask forgiveness than ask permission haha, I’ve had mine in the shop twice (1 routine, 1 non-routine) since installing and the dealership has never said anything nor have I voided/had to pay...if you’ve seen any of my threads, my L494 is a Frankenstein.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
New shipment arriving next week!!!

30% discount for previous Android Aftershock customers
20% discount for US Military Veterans
20% discount for forum members with over 200 posts
15% discount for forum members with over 150 posts
10% discount for forum members with over 100 posts
5% discount for forum members with over 5 posts

Please contact me for your coupon code before placing your order on my website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First want to give a big Thanks to Ray @W84IT , he was a great help giving me support while installing the new Android 9.0 version.

I have attached a few pictures, it's a mess right now, however it works, and that was a big accomplishment. There is a lot of content on the web for the 405, however it was a struggle to find some detailed videos initially of the l494.

Just to get the old unit out, move the circuit boards from the old unit to the new unit, take off all the needed trim and remove the CD/DVD player collectively took about 3 hours.. In the initial video I could see that you need to remove the CD/DVD player and loop into the connector, my trouble was figuring out how to remove all the trip around the AC controls and such. Here are some videos that helped.

Good video for removing CD/DVD player trim and unit

This video helped with the connectors and some other basic things

I will post more feedback after it's all back together. I would guess I have about 2-3 hours worth of work still left. I need to router the Mic cable now and also the usb/car play adapter

·
Registered
125 Posts
I updated to iOS 13.5 (beta program) and from all indications, the connectivity is mostly staying “sticky” again. I’ve tested the following:
1. Made a call via Siri
2. Made a call by choosing a contact from the phone
3. Made a call from the CarPlay
4. Answered a call from the steering wheel control

Every time on the scenarios above, the car Bluetooth picked up.

Every time on the scenarios above with the exception number 4, the CarPlay phone screen popped up. When I answered the call from the stereo wheel, the legacy car interface screen appeared.

The one scenario that didn’t work is if I answered a call from CarPlay, it defaulted to the CarPlay interface.

[mention]W84IT [/mention] - this is significantly better than before, right?

201 - 220 of 284 Posts