RangeRovers.net Forum banner

181 - 200 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I am new to the forum mostly because of this topic. I have been searching for a way to upgrade the OEM system for a while now and I have found a few options but most seem pretty complicated and not a whole lot on information on them.
I stumbled across this forum and thread and ****! Lots of info on here.
I was originally searching on aliexpress for some android systems after coming across the video of the UK guys installing it, but as been mentioned in this thread and the other in the forum, who knows what I am going to receive.
So ye, I am pretty convinced and will bite the bullet soon and order from, hopefully, android aftershock but I do have a few questions I haven't really found a straight answer too or I am just to slow to follow haha.

1. Most important I guess is does Android Aftershock post internationally? I am in Gibraltar. Any idea of the postage cost?
2. I know they are technically 2 separate systems in a way. So could I have one phone connected to the OEM bluetooth playing music there and another phone connected via Android Auto using a navigation app for example?
Little background info.... My gf is the one which controls music using her phone, I use the navigation on my phone.
3. I have an android phone and I have seen comments of the phone not charging quick enough when connected the Android Auto via USB. Is this fixed with the new unit?
4. This might be more of an android question, but when using Android Auto does the GPS signal come from the phone or the unit?
5. I have a heated windscreen. Has anyone had any issues with the GPS signal with heated windscreen? When I use my phone it has always worked flawlessly so I assume it should be ok.
6. I understand you can add a SIM card to the unit for internet. Can the unit be used without one? Can I just use my phone as a hotspot and then download apps to the android system that way?
7. Continuation of the question above. If a hotspot can be used, could I use the usit as a stand alone unit but hotspot the unit and then use, for example, waze maps using 4g from my phone?
8. I assume this unit supports wireless phone mirroring? If so when the phone is mirrored does the sound come out of the phone? Does this unit also support mirroring via usb?

I am sorry for all these questions but I know most people have apple so there is a lot of info on apple car play but limited on android auto. I know I know I should get an iphone........

Thanks,

JP.

·
Premium Member
2016.5 L405 HSE & 2020.5 L663 P400HSE
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Does the resolution of the rear view camera (or other cameras) improve on the new head unit?
The Android screen resolution is better than the factory screen resolution. However, the camera image only appears slightly better due to the better screen on the Android. You will need to install a higher quality aftermarket camera to get the best camera resolution.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Hi all, I am new to the forum mostly because of this topic. I have been searching for a way to upgrade the OEM system for a while now and I have found a few options but most seem pretty complicated and not a whole lot on information on them.
I stumbled across this forum and thread and ****! Lots of info on here.
I was originally searching on aliexpress for some android systems after coming across the video of the UK guys installing it, but as been mentioned in this thread and the other in the forum, who knows what I am going to receive.
So ye, I am pretty convinced and will bite the bullet soon and order from, hopefully, android aftershock but I do have a few questions I haven't really found a straight answer too or I am just to slow to follow haha.

1. Most important I guess is does Android Aftershock post internationally? I am in Gibraltar. Any idea of the postage cost?
2. I know they are technically 2 separate systems in a way. So could I have one phone connected to the OEM bluetooth playing music there and another phone connected via Android Auto using a navigation app for example?
Little background info.... My gf is the one which controls music using her phone, I use the navigation on my phone.
3. I have an android phone and I have seen comments of the phone not charging quick enough when connected the Android Auto via USB. Is this fixed with the new unit?
4. This might be more of an android question, but when using Android Auto does the GPS signal come from the phone or the unit?
5. I have a heated windscreen. Has anyone had any issues with the GPS signal with heated windscreen? When I use my phone it has always worked flawlessly so I assume it should be ok.
6. I understand you can add a SIM card to the unit for internet. Can the unit be used without one? Can I just use my phone as a hotspot and then download apps to the android system that way?
7. Continuation of the question above. If a hotspot can be used, could I use the usit as a stand alone unit but hotspot the unit and then use, for example, waze maps using 4g from my phone?
8. I assume this unit supports wireless phone mirroring? If so when the phone is mirrored does the sound come out of the phone? Does this unit also support mirroring via usb?

I am sorry for all these questions but I know most people have apple so there is a lot of info on apple car play but limited on android auto. I know I know I should get an iphone........

Thanks,

JP.
I'm almost sure most of these question have been answered already but...

1. Yes, I do ship outside the USA
2. Yes, you can continue to use the OEM bluetooth with the Android unit connected
3. I don't have an Android phone so I don't know if the USB from the new unit will charge Android phones...However, it does charge the iPhones.
4. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto uses the phones data connection.
5. The Android unit comes with it's own GPS Antenna that you can mount anywhere inside or outside the vehicle.
6. The Android unit has it's own SIM card slot but you don't NEED to use it. You can connect the unit to any Wifi hotspot of your choice for data.
7. I don't quite understand what you're asking but if you're using your phone connected to Android Auto or Apple Carplay, then you will be using the data and apps from your phone. You can also use Waze or other apps downloaded to the Android unit itself. However, the unit will need a data connection along with the included GPS antenna connection.
8. I haven't used the phone mirroring feature but yes the Android unit does have this feature.

There's also more info on my website and in the L405 section...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm almost sure most of these question have been answered already but...

1. Yes, I do ship outside the USA
2. Yes, you can continue to use the OEM bluetooth with the Android unit connected
3. I don't have an Android phone so I don't know if the USB from the new unit will charge Android phones...However, it does charge the iPhones.
4. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto uses the phones data connection.
5. The Android unit comes with it's own GPS Antenna that you can mount anywhere inside or outside the vehicle.
6. The Android unit has it's own SIM card slot but you don't NEED to use it. You can connect the unit to any Wifi hotspot of your choice for data.
7. I don't quite understand what you're asking but if you're using your phone connected to Android Auto or Apple Carplay, then you will be using the data and apps from your phone. You can also use Waze or other apps downloaded to the Android unit itself. However, the unit will need a data connection along with the included GPS antenna connection.
8. I haven't used the phone mirroring feature but yes the Android unit does have this feature.

There's also more info on my website and in the L405 section...
Thanks for the info! I will have another read through that thread and will have a look at your website for the shipping cost.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Do the new Android 9 units fix the Audio dip issue (aka volume drop)
I haven't experienced that with the 9.0 version but as far as the 7.1 version goes, try resetting the EQ and also try closing out any Apps running in the background...I think that was the fix when I had the 7.1 version installled.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Hey guys, I have 2 L494 Sport units available right now. Just a heads up for anyone who's ready to purchase now instead of waiting on the next shipment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just installed an android 9.0 unit on my sport.. My issue is, I can't hear any sound on the android side.. Just original screen functions.. But sound won't work from any app.. Hints?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #196 (Edited)
So I just installed an android 9.0 unit on my sport.. My issue is, I can't hear any sound on the android side.. Just original screen functions.. But sound won't work from any app.. Hints?
Where did you purchase your unit from? I'm assuming you didn't purchase from Android Aftershock? If so, then you should know to contact me directly if you're having a problem. There are many different Android units being sold out there and they are not all the same. This thread is for people that purchased the Android Aftershock units or are interested in purchasing an Android Aftershock unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I just purchased and installed the 9.0 unit from Ray on my RRS.

I'm sure everyone has heard of how great it is and all of that is true - it is a great unit! But I wanted to highlight some issues I am having, did not hear about prior, and see if anyone can help resolve - I've let Ray know most of these, but don't think there is a clear answer yet.
  • Audio Buzzing
    • I get a constant low hum/buzz in the speakers, its fine if your music is playing or turn the volume low (below 18), but if listening to a podcast or talking on the phone, it is super annoying
    • I know there are tons of articles on reducing hum in cars, but anyone else have this issue and resolve it themselves?
  • Screen Reflection
    • The screen is super shiny like an iPad, which if your roof is closed/covered isn't an issue but can be an issue if the sun shines on it, didn't have this issue with stock screen that has a filter on it
  • Corner Popup Menu
    • This looks to be new to the 9.0 and is an unfortunate addition - overall there is a small overlay to click back into the Android screen.
    • It just a small thing that makes unit look a little less "stock"'
  • Boot up time still long
    • If you don't mind waiting, its fine, but, for example, I stopped to fill up gas, was listening to a podcast, filled up, jumped back in and had to wait 30-40 seconds before booting up, then had to wait 10-15 seconds for airplay to connect, etc.
    • It doesn't seem much, but there is a full minute of silence versus stock would just start in ~5 seconds playing audio
    • If you do longer drives it is great, but can be a pain if you make a lot of stops - the stock unit is just smoother in that regard
I have CarPlay now, which is great, but was it really worth $1400? - I don't know - if they could resolve a few of the small things above, I would be 100% satisfied

I cannot thank Ray enough though, he is super helpful and always available by phone to answer questions. If you want the unit, definitely buy from him, the customer support is well worth the premium versus getting it from a random Alibaba vendor.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
So I just purchased and installed the 9.0 unit from Ray on my RRS.

I'm sure everyone has heard of how great it is, but wanted to highlight some issues I am having and see if anyone can help resolve - I've let Ray know most of these, but don't think there is a clear answer yet
  • Audio Buzzing
    • I get a constant low hum/buzz in the speakers, its fine if your music is playing or turn the volume low (below 18), but if listening to a podcast or talking on the phone, it is super annoying and almost makes it not worth it for me
    • I know there are tons of articles on reducing hum in cars, but anyone else have this issue and resolve it themselves?
  • Screen Reflection
    • The screen is super shiny like an iPad, which if your roof is closed/covered isn't an issue but can be an issue if the sun shines on it, didn't have this issue with stock screen that has a filter on it
  • Corner Popup Menu
    • This looks to be new to the 9.0 and is a horrible addition - overall there is a small overlay to click back into the Android screen.
    • It just a small thing that makes unit look a little less "stock"'
  • Boot up time still long
    • If you don't mind waiting, its fine, but, for example, I stopped to fill up gas, was listening to a podcast, filled up jumped back in and had to wait 30-40 seconds before booting up, then had to wait 10-15 seocnds for airplay to connect, etc.
    • It doesn't seem much, but there is a full minute of silence versus stock would just start in ~5 seconds playing audio
    • If you do longer drives its great, but can be a pain if make alot of stops get out - the stock unit is just smoother in that regard
I'll be honest, I have CarPlay now, which is great, but was it really worth $1400? - I don't know - if they could resolve a few of the small things above, I would be 100% in, but at this point, I'm hesitant about my decision.

I cannot thank Ray enough though, he is super helpful and always available by phone to answer questions. If you want the unit, definitely buy from him, the customer support is well worth the premium versus getting it from a random Alibaba vendor.
Austin, I'm sorry that the unit doesn't meet your expectations. I did my best to answer all of your questions and concerns before you purchased the unit. There's also more than enough information on this forum and on my website to give you a good idea what this unit is all about. I have repeatedly told everyone that's interested in purchasing this unit that it's not perfect by any means but it's way better than what you have with the stock screen. Honestly, I think if you are the really picky type then this unit is not for you at all. As far as the price goes, well, if you don't think that it's worth $1400 then take into consideration what other options you have out there. If you only knew the type of work that I put into this project...communicating with the supplier in China which is about 15 hours ahead of our time here in the US and having to answer the same question over and over again because most don't care to read the threads here on this forum. I also provide tech support from sun up to sun down 7 days a week and can always be reached when someone needs me. I have never complained because I enjoy what I do and it gives me satisfaction to know that someone is enjoying their Range Rover even more with this Android screen installed. I'm a Range Rover enthusiast first and foremost and I've been in love with the L405 since the day it launched. The only thing that I could see the L405 lacking was the infotainment screen so when I discovered this Android system from China, I was the first here in the USA (to my knowledge) to take a gamble and try it. It turned out to be awesome in my opinion although it's not perfect.

Anyway, I just find your post/review a little discouraging after all the questions that I answered thoroughly for you before you even purchased the unit. I guess it's true as the saying goes, you can't satisfy everyone...especially those that are very picky. With that being said, I want everyone to know that I will continue to go above and beyond for my customers. I will also continue to work hard to get all issues resolved with this unit and hopefully it will meet everyone's expectations. I have a direct contact with the supplier and engineer and they are taking all feedback into consideration as they try to improve the unit. I just hope that you guys understand that the more work that's put into this project, the higher the cost will be.

Austin, if you're having second thoughts and don't feel like the $1400 you spent was worth it then I feel like you could have just given me a call, text or email...I'm not a hard person to deal with. I was just on the phone with you a few days ago and you didn't mention this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Austin, I'm sorry that the unit doesn't meet your expectations. I did my best to answer all of your questions and concerns before you purchased the unit. There's also more than enough information on this forum and on my website to give you a good idea what this unit is all about. I have repeatedly told everyone that's interested in purchasing this unit that it's not perfect by any means but it's way better than what you have with the stock screen. Honestly, I think if you are the really picky type then this unit is not for you at all. As far as the price goes, well, if you don't think that it's worth $1400 then take into consideration what other options you have out there. If you only knew the type of work that I put into this project...communicating with the supplier in China which is about 15 hours ahead of our time here in the US and having to answer the same question over and over again because most don't care to read the threads here on this forum. I also provide tech support from sun up to sun down 7 days a week and can always be reached when someone needs me. I have never complained because I enjoy what I do and it gives me satisfaction to know that someone is enjoying their Range Rover even more with this Android screen installed. I'm a Range Rover enthusiast first and foremost and I've been in love with the L405 since the day it launched. The only thing that I could see the L405 lacking was the infotainment screen so when I discovered this Android system from China, I was the first here in the USA (to my knowledge) to take a gamble and try it. It turned out to be awesome in my opinion although it's not perfect.

Anyway, I just find your post/review a little discouraging after all the questions that I answered thoroughly for you before you even purchased the unit. I guess it's true as the saying goes, you can't satisfy everyone...especially those that are very picky. With that being said, I want everyone to know that I will continue to go above and beyond for my customers. I will also continue to work hard to get all issues resolved with this unit and hopefully it will meet everyone's expectations. I have a direct contact with the supplier and engineer and they are taking all feedback into consideration as they try to improve the unit. I just hope that you guys understand that the more work that's put into this project, the higher the cost will be.

Austin, if you're having second thoughts and don't feel like the $1400 you spent was worth it then I feel like you could have just given me a call, text or email...I'm not a hard person to deal with. I was just on the phone with you a few days ago and you didn't mention this.
Hey Ray, I completely agree that I am probably way pickier than the average consumer and honestly the post was not meant to be a complaint, but really just informational to people out there - I know it is super hard to find out what this device is all about and wanted to make sure everyone is informed. As you said, "It turned out to be awesome in my opinion, although it's not perfect." I just wanted to share what I thought was not perfect and things I didn't know about going into this process.

Again, I am sure >90% of people will be super happy and again I bought the unit, but I just wanted to make sure people were aware of what they bought and how they might weigh the decision.

I am also aware that there is no other option out there and this is why I chose to buy the unit. Again, I want to stress I am not some angry, overly unhappy customer - I am just trying to help inform people what they are getting themselves into, while also trying to solve some of my issues like the audio buzzing.

Also, I did ask you on the phone about the buzzing of the audio, which you said there were no solutions available and it was not a big deal to you. As well as, the overlay which you said the supplier cannot change at this time which was not a bit deal to you. Again, most people might not care about those things I just want to make sure everyone knows what they were buying when because those were things that did annoy me.

If the items I outlined don't bother people, then 100% buy the unit.

And I cannot stress how amazing Ray is in his customer service, this was one of the main reasons I bought from him so that I had someone I could call during installation, when I had questions, etc. I would buy something from him 10 times over.

Lastly, I can easily take down the post if it is a worry to you.

Thanks,
Austin

181 - 200 of 372 Posts