RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just wanted to reach out to this side of the forum to let you know that I also have units for the L494. Here's the thread from the L405 side...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ray, been following some of these threads since I picked up a new to me '16 RRS. Looking to pick one of these up from your site and doing the install myself. I just had a few concerns before pulling the trigger.

• Does the wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay mean that upon entering the vehicle and going into the CarPlay screen it will automatically connect to my phone?
  • From what I've been able to gather it seems that there aren't any more software issues with the unit other then slight delays on start-up, is that correct? Anything else to be aware of before purchasing?
  • I have the HUD and assume that it will function as normal by showing the speed limit signs?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ray, been following some of these threads since I picked up a new to me '16 RRS. Looking to pick one of these up from your site and doing the install myself. I just had a few concerns before pulling the trigger.

• Does the wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay mean that upon entering the vehicle and going into the CarPlay screen it will automatically connect to my phone?
  • From what I've been able to gather it seems that there aren't any more software issues with the unit other then slight delays on start-up, is that correct? Anything else to be aware of before purchasing?
  • I have the HUD and assume that it will function as normal by showing the speed limit signs?
Thanks in advance!
1. Yes and No...Android Auto is only configured for wired connection...Apple CarPlay is configured for wired or wireless. If you have the AutoPlay CarPlay app set to wireless and synced with your phone then it will automatically try to connect when the screen has booted up and if your phone is near.

2. The software bugs with the CarPlay adapter seem to be fixed as far as I can tell. I haven't had any issues since installing the last update.

3. All of your OEM functions remain the same except the dual view of the screen. The 2 circuit boards that you transfer to the new screen is what allows you to keep your OEM functions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Yes and No...Android Auto is only configured for wired connection...Apple CarPlay is configured for wired or wireless. If you have the AutoPlay CarPlay app set to wireless and synced with your phone then it will automatically try to connect when the screen has booted up and if your phone is near.

2. The software bugs with the CarPlay adapter seem to be fixed as far as I can tell. I haven't had any issues since installing the last update.

3. All of your OEM functions remain the same except the dual view of the screen. The 2 circuit boards that you transfer to the new screen is what allows you to keep your OEM functions.
Appreciate the response and clarification! Will be placing an order soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Ray - Been following the L405 thread and am getting close to pulling the trigger here.
3 questions:

1/ How long should I expect the install to take? I'm not an auto AV pro, but I'm handy and can follow instructions.
2/ Is there any way to determine resistive vs. capacitive without pulling the dash to see connector? pen test? VIN? Option combo?
3/ If it turns out I need capacitive, when are you expecting more in stock? And if after 8/31, will there be a new discount code for forum members?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey Ray - Been following the L405 thread and am getting close to pulling the trigger here.
3 questions:

1/ How long should I expect the install to take? I'm not an auto AV pro, but I'm handy and can follow instructions.
2/ Is there any way to determine resistive vs. capacitive without pulling the dash to see connector? pen test? VIN? Option combo?
3/ If it turns out I need capacitive, when are you expecting more in stock? And if after 8/31, will there be a new discount code for forum members?

Thanks,
Jim
1. Installl should take no longer than 4 hours max. Just watch the install videos to get familiar with everything before you start. I can do the install in less than an hour now that I'm familiar with it.

2. If the screen will respond to a pen, credit card or finger nail then it most likely is Resistive. If it will only respond to the finger press then it's Capacitive. The only way to be 100% is to pull the dash trim off to see the edge of the screen where the ribbon is located...top ribbon is Capacitive and side ribbon is Resistive.

3. I should have more Capacitive in stock for the L494 this weekend.

4. I'm not sure if I will continue the discount code but I will say that the price will be going up a little. The reason for that is that I have to pay shipping for the units to ship to me from my supplier...after that, I have to pay for shipping to customers each time a unit sells. I also have the PayPal fees to deal with.

In the meantime, I will set my website shop to accept backorders so you can order before the discount code expires. Then I will ship the unit to you right after my order arrives.

Call me if you have any questions or concerns...760-625-3477

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. Installl should take no longer than 4 hours max. Just watch the install videos to get familiar with everything before you start. I can do the install in less than an hour now that I'm familiar with it.

2. If the screen will respond to a pen, credit card or finger nail then it most likely is Resistive. If it will only respond to the finger press then it's Capacitive. The only way to be 100% is to pull to dash trim off to see the edge of the screen where the ribbon is located...top ribbon is Capacitive and side ribbon is Resistive.

3. I should have more Capacitive in stock for the L494 this weekend.

4. I'm not sure if I will continue the discount code but I will say that the price will be going up a little. The reason for that is that I have to pay shipping for the units to ship to me from my supplier...after that, I have to pay for shipping to customers each time a unit sells. I also have the PayPal fees to deal with.

In the meantime, I will set my website shop to accept backorders so you can order before the discount code expires. Then I will ship the unit to you right after my order arrives.

Call me if you have any questions or concerns...760-625-3477
Wait... there was a discount code for the 494??!!?? (Cursing under my breath)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wait... there was a discount code for the 494??!!?? (Cursing under my breath)
No, it was originally only for the L405 forum guys but I decided to extend it to the L494 and L538 as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for this. Helpful.

I’ve seen the UK video of the guys removing the surround, but I’m unable to find anything for the 494 regarding removing the HVAC controls, specifically the aluminum-like trim pieces on either side of the HVAC controls. I’ve seen a video for the 405, But I’ve not seen how to remove these on 494.

Any insight from those that have done it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for this. Helpful.

I’ve seen the UK video of the guys removing the surround, but I’m unable to find anything for the 494 regarding removing the HVAC controls, specifically the aluminum-like trim pieces on either side of the HVAC controls. I’ve seen a video for the 405, But I’ve not seen how to remove these on 494.

Any insight from those that have done it?
I think those come out the same way they do on the L405. I've sold 4 units to L494 forum members so hopefully someone will chime in and help.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
08312019w84it ...this coupon code has been extended until September 3rd

2019w84it ...this is the new coupon code starting September 3rd...will end on December 31st

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think those come out the same way they do on the L405. I've sold 4 units to L494 forum members so hopefully someone will chime in and help.
No. They’re different. If you look at this video, at 31:10, you’ll see they are smaller and don’t extend down the sides of the center console, toward the rear of the car like the 494. See this picture...

Video of the 405 here:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No. They’re different. If you look at this video, at 31:10, you’ll see they are smaller and don’t extend down the sides of the center console, toward the rear of the car like the 494. See this picture...

Video of the 405 here:
OK, I'll try to find some information on that for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do the steering wheel controls work with this? Fully functional still? What shows on the dash display when playing music through Apple CarPlay

·
Registered
120 Posts

Video of the 405 here:
Why are you removing the silver pieces? There is no need to install the unit. The only panel that needs to be removed is the dash surround which takes 30 secs to pop off. The only reason to remove console pieces is if you want a custom install of the USB port.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Why are you removing the silver pieces? There is no need to install the unit. The only panel that needs to be removed is the dash surround which takes 30 secs to pop off. The only reason to remove console pieces is if you want a custom install of the USB port.
That’s what I was curious about.

I plan on installing this as well but don’t want to have to get into the removal of the lower dash

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do the steering wheel controls work with this? Fully functional still? What shows on the dash display when playing music through Apple CarPlay
1. The steering wheel controls work the same as they always have.
2. I'm not sure what you mean by that second question but the CarPlay interface is shown on the Android screen...Auxiliary Selected is shown on the screen behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Suggest you both watch the install video for the 405.

You have to pull the CD player to plug into it. The CD player sits behind the HVAC controls. The HVAC controls can only be removed by removing the silver trim.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
12 Participants
W84IT
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing