Range Rovers Forum banner

10.25" Android head unit for L494 Range Rover Sport...

159K views 617 replies 111 participants last post by  RyanB44 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just wanted to reach out to this side of the forum to let you know that I also have units for the L494. Here's the thread from the L405 side...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Ray, been following some of these threads since I picked up a new to me '16 RRS. Looking to pick one of these up from your site and doing the install myself. I just had a few concerns before pulling the trigger.

• Does the wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay mean that upon entering the vehicle and going into the CarPlay screen it will automatically connect to my phone?
  • From what I've been able to gather it seems that there aren't any more software issues with the unit other then slight delays on start-up, is that correct? Anything else to be aware of before purchasing?
  • I have the HUD and assume that it will function as normal by showing the speed limit signs?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Hi Ray, been following some of these threads since I picked up a new to me '16 RRS. Looking to pick one of these up from your site and doing the install myself. I just had a few concerns before pulling the trigger.

• Does the wireless Android Auto/Apple CarPlay mean that upon entering the vehicle and going into the CarPlay screen it will automatically connect to my phone?
  • From what I've been able to gather it seems that there aren't any more software issues with the unit other then slight delays on start-up, is that correct? Anything else to be aware of before purchasing?
  • I have the HUD and assume that it will function as normal by showing the speed limit signs?
Thanks in advance!
1. Yes and No...Android Auto is only configured for wired connection...Apple CarPlay is configured for wired or wireless. If you have the AutoPlay CarPlay app set to wireless and synced with your phone then it will automatically try to connect when the screen has booted up and if your phone is near.

2. The software bugs with the CarPlay adapter seem to be fixed as far as I can tell. I haven't had any issues since installing the last update.

3. All of your OEM functions remain the same except the dual view of the screen. The 2 circuit boards that you transfer to the new screen is what allows you to keep your OEM functions.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Ray - Been following the L405 thread and am getting close to pulling the trigger here.
3 questions:

1/ How long should I expect the install to take? I'm not an auto AV pro, but I'm handy and can follow instructions.
2/ Is there any way to determine resistive vs. capacitive without pulling the dash to see connector? pen test? VIN? Option combo?
3/ If it turns out I need capacitive, when are you expecting more in stock? And if after 8/31, will there be a new discount code for forum members?

Thanks,
Jim

#6 · (Edited)
1. Installl should take no longer than 4 hours max. Just watch the install videos to get familiar with everything before you start. I can do the install in less than an hour now that I'm familiar with it.

2. If the screen will respond to a pen, credit card or finger nail then it most likely is Resistive. If it will only respond to the finger press then it's Capacitive. The only way to be 100% is to pull the dash trim off to see the edge of the screen where the ribbon is located...top ribbon is Capacitive and side ribbon is Resistive.

3. I should have more Capacitive in stock for the L494 this weekend.

4. I'm not sure if I will continue the discount code but I will say that the price will be going up a little. The reason for that is that I have to pay shipping for the units to ship to me from my supplier...after that, I have to pay for shipping to customers each time a unit sells. I also have the PayPal fees to deal with.

In the meantime, I will set my website shop to accept backorders so you can order before the discount code expires. Then I will ship the unit to you right after my order arrives.

Call me if you have any questions or concerns...760-625-3477

#28 ·
Received mine today. Should be able to try an install this Sunday.

Thank you again

I saw some of these questions were answered in the L405 forum but could benefit some here

1) included speaker. Do I need to install this if I only plan on using CarPlay navigation? Will turn by turn directions be audible through the OEM speakers ?

2) GPS antenna. Needed if mainly using CarPlay or stock navigation? I don’t have any real intention to be inside the android auto universe. Just the oem one and CarPlay.

3) microphone. Needed fo Siri??

Thank you again ! Looking forward to the install.

#29 ·
Received mine today. Should be able to try an install this Sunday.

Thank you again

I saw some of these questions were answered in the L405 forum but could benefit some here

1) included speaker. Do I need to install this if I only plan on using CarPlay navigation? Will turn by turn directions be audible through the OEM speakers ?

2) GPS antenna. Needed if mainly using CarPlay or stock navigation? I don’t have any real intention to be inside the android auto universe. Just the oem one and CarPlay.

3) microphone. Needed fo Siri??

Thank you again ! Looking forward to the install.
All questions I was interested in as well.

I’ll be working on mine tomorrow as well.

#36 · (Edited)
Hey guys, it would help if we keep all the questions and answers here on the thread. I've been getting a lot of the same questions through private message and I've done my best to answer them all in a timely manner but I figure we can all save time while also helping others by posting everything related to the Android units here in this thread.

#42 ·
Below is my quick write up with video links and tools needed for each of the major steps to install this unit in a L494. Hope this helps those of you taking the plunge.

1. Remove the dash and screen

15 minutes
Tools needed
T-20

2. Upgrading the headunit

25 minutes
Tools needed - T-8, Allen wrench

3. Removing HVAC controls to get to CD player

Tools needed - 8mm socket, T-20
15 minutes

4. Putting it all back together

Tools needed - 8mm socket, T-20
20 minutes

5. Programming the unit

15 minutes

#45 ·
Took the plunge today with the install. Wasn't bad at all.

The videos posted above pretty much get into everything you need to know. For the center console silver pieces I just removed the rear AC vent cover. Removed the two socket screws and then used a set of plastic prying tools I have. pulling up was the secret there.

Took me about 2 hours with lots of going back inside and checking in on the pups.

Definitely sharpens up the vehicle and CarPlay is awesome. I did have to update my unit for CarPlay to show as option though.

few pictures attached.

#46 ·
View attachment 281063
Took the plunge today with the install. Wasn't bad at all.

The videos posted above pretty much get into everything you need to know. For the center console silver pieces I just removed the rear AC vent cover. Removed the two socket screws and then used a set of plastic prying tools I have. pulling up was the secret there.

Took me about 2 hours with lots of going back inside and checking in on the pups.

Definitely sharpens up the vehicle and CarPlay is awesome. I did have to update my unit for CarPlay to show as option though.

few pictures attached.
Thanks for the post, I am so on the fence about this as I am desperately wanting Carplay and an improved rear camera. The slow boot up is my main concern. Member W84IT has been awesome in his fast replies.

#56 ·
Updated to iOS 13 beta last night and running the new Apple car play. Definitely an improvement.

I’m going to try hardwired just because I like the fact of it charging my phone.
In the L405 forums j saw mention of the self parking feature not working anymore and I think I can confirm this.

its there on the button packs in style 2 but doesn’t activate anything on the dash.Not really a problem for me since I think I’ve used that feature once and it was to show someone how I’d probably never use it haha.

Reactions: W84IT
#58 ·
Just a quick review of the features which I was not sure would continue to work or not -

• HUD works as it did before the upgrade
  • Speed limit sign works. Although, there were couple of times it did not. I don’t think it is an issue with the Android unit.
  • lane departure indicator works
  • HUD works even with CarPlay enabled. No navigation info is displayed on the HUD in the CarPlay mode.

It is worth the upgrade if you are looking for a modern updated car infotainment experience.

Plus, the support and service from Ray is exceptional, even at after 9pm Central.

#62 ·
Hi guys, has anyone had the issue where after installation you can’t switch to OEM mode and if so what the issue was?

I can hear the radio playing, however can not switch from android interface to original? Same for reverse cam...it doesn’t show despite following set up instruction....

Any help would be great...

#68 ·
Love the unit! Totally recommend it to anyone who wants to refresh.

I look forward to getting the self parking function back.

Another thing that would be great would be the ability to adjust the daytime and nighttime (headlights on) screen brightness independently. I would like the screen at 100 percent during the day but then at night it does not dim down enough. If i set the day brightness lower, it is hard to see during the day but at night it is perfect. Should be a pretty easy change for the engineers I would think - just adding a menu option

#69 ·
Love the unit! Totally recommend it to anyone who wants to refresh.

I look forward to getting the self parking function back.

Another thing that would be great would be the ability to adjust the daytime and nighttime (headlights on) screen brightness independently. I would like the screen at 100 percent during the day but then at night it does not dim down enough. If i set the day brightness lower, it is hard to see during the day but at night it is perfect. Should be a pretty easy change for the engineers I would think - just adding a menu option
I concur on the screen brightness.
Mines set to 35 because it makes my retinas feel like exploding at night with anything over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.