RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a video of this noise?
Looking at maybe getting a '10 for cheap, with engine issues.
Got a video of it, and sure enough it sounds like a 1/4" socket set was dropped in the oil fill!
Anyone do this themselves? All the threads I find say warranty the vast majority of the time....
I'd be doing the work myself, so no biggie there, just want to make sure the whole motor isn't toast

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
I saw that post, but no follow up from the poster. I'll shoot him a PM though and see if he kept it or took it back.
The Rover in question is cheap enough, so long as it doesn't need a whole motor.

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
22 Posts
Thanks!
I saw that post, but no follow up from the poster. I'll shoot him a PM though and see if he kept it or took it back.
The Rover in question is cheap enough, so long as it doesn't need a whole motor.

Martin
I recorded that today. It only does it sometimes, I guess it's in the early stage. I emailed and texted the dealer but they're closed Sundays so no response yet. I might take it to an Indy shop tomorrow to have get their opinion. I'd keep the car if they offer to pay for the repair. Before I bought this, I saw a 2010 in DC/VA area (on autotrader) for 19k from a dealer but they never called me back when I asked them to send me a video of the car running lol. Then i figured I'd just spend another 10k and buy a lower mileage one so I wouldn't have to deal with this issue for a while... the irony.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Let us know what the dealer/indy says please

Mrtin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Let us know what the dealer/indy says please

Mrtin
So I just got back from the indy shop. Timing chain and gears are worn. Needs all new gears, tensioners, chains and quids $4000... He showed me through the oil filler how loose the timing chain is by pulling on it with a hook. They're seeing this more and more often. There was another SC there with the same problem.
He said LR fixed this issue mid 2012. Does anyone know the VIN number code after this change?

Also supercharger nose cone rattles when turning engine off. Said the SC would have to be removed for that. $1250 This is isn't too noticeable so I might skip it if dealer ship doesn't take the car back and I end up having the work done.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had all of that just done and more. Not cheap. But now it's wayyyyy quieter. And safer. Guide was very close to letting lose and grenading the motor. I had 98k miles. There is a blower snout rebuild kit now that makes the blower cheap to do. I gphad every single component replaced in the timing arena as well as water pump and some plastic coolant hoses. Should be good for another 100k+

Also be prepared to replace injectors as they break upon removal.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Has anyone had a 2010-2012 RR HSE with the 5.0 liter Naturally Aspirated engine have timing chain or guide issues? From what I've read there doesn't seem to be any timing chain issues on the LR4's so I was curious if this issue of the chain stretching is only on the supercharged engines.
Thanks

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,944 Posts
I just bought a 2010 SC its very nice, but it has some noise at startup but not as bad as the video.

That said I went to Princeton LR dealer and the service man suggested that the most likely reason this is occurring is due to long interval oil changes,
He said they have done their share of new chain guides and tensioners,
he said its a 22 hour adventure for the tech.
Their is another thread where someone else has just bought all of the tools to do this job,
it might be a good idea to lease the tools then send them on to the next DIY mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Has anyone had a 2010-2012 RR HSE with the 5.0 liter Naturally Aspirated engine have timing chain or guide issues? From what I've read there doesn't seem to be any timing chain issues on the LR4's so I was curious if this issue of the chain stretching is only on the supercharged engines.
Thanks
2010 Sport HSE N/A had a full timing rebuild.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any engine with plastic chain guides will need work every 100K miles. The plastic just dries out and crumbles. There is no getting around it. Your mileage may vary plus or minus 20% depending on your driving conditions.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That rig sold, for $8K!
I would have grabbed it up had the seller been a little better at communication, oh well.
I don't see any reason for them to grenade after the timing chains have been done, makes no sense to me. If they have been caught before the boom, then I would have absolutely zero problems in running one myself.

Martin

·
Registered
416 Posts
so i spent some time yesterday speaking to my service advisor and he said, fwiw, in his 13 years at LR he has never seen an engine go poof due to a timing chain. he said its very easy to determine when the chain needs to be done and not a big concern.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Mine went from chains. Work order from Land Rover Chicago mentioned the bank 2 cam broke 180 degrees out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
79k miles then, and no. Total failure.

Edit., I should mention that it was a Supercharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts