RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Supercharged with 65k miles. Old lady driven basically. Never any flooring or sport mode etc.

I'm noticing it slip occasionally and then bang into the gear almost as if the car was placed into neutral them revd up a 1.5k rpm and then put back into gear. Almost always in a higher gear. I've also noticed occasional weird behavior. I went to pass on a steep hill and the car didn't even try to downshift. Slowly going on the accelerator until foot to the floor and even triggered the switch but nothing. Stable RPMs and stable speed. It didn't even try to accelerate in the gear it was currently in. I also have had one instance of getting a P0735 fault code, and then being locked out of that gear until I stopped the car and restarted. Other than that no codes. And 90%+ of the time you wouldnt notice anything wrong with the car

It's been happening for over a year. The techs at the dealer (a not so great one) could never replicate the issue after several attempts, upgraded the TCM anyways and then on its third trip there they were just basically likd you need a whole new Transmission 10k, 0 explanation and no tech comments or anything on the reciept.

Back story: I think they were pissed/over this car specifically bc prior to this they were chasing AC problems. Ended up charging $7k of stuff on it over 3 months and several trips at about $2.5k per trip and then it was winter and they were like hey we did it! Of course now it's summer again and it's still bad. Range Rover North America had to get involved and reimbursed 50% of the cost though so that was pretty nice of them.

Anyways, it concerns me at no point did they even bother checking fluid levels or attempting to R&R the pan/filter and fluids which is what I'm inclined to do first but wanted to see if anyone agrees with the shot transmission theory before I spend the $300 on it.

I've got a rebuild quote from a reputable forum reccommended Indy shop that's less less than half what the dealer wanted for new and they upgrade the clutch packs as well so that's my fallback plan

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
689 Posts
I’ve read somewhere that in some 2008 model RR and Audis with that same transmission had a bad batch of transmissions from ZF. One of ZF’s suppliers provided them an inferior component, don’t recall which part, and the dealer ended up replacing many of them.
Mine just went out at 38k miles. Dealer replaced it. Didn’t cost me.
So far that’s the only thing that has happened to my 08. Oh no! I didn’t just go there. That will most likely jinx me soon.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol of course they did ?

Actually I just remembered I bought my 2011 RR Sport from the same dealership and it was a previously CPO car (So I was
s third owner and it had a bad transmission. They actually flew one in from LRUK to install it and complete the sale to me. 42k miles on it. It had some other issue though I believe it held gears too long or something of that nature

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok so you have some very typical 6HP26 tranny issues. Well known amongst anyone with a 6hp26 tranny.

No, ZF didn't get some *bad parts* and supply faulty tranny's to the 08 RR and Audi's with 6spd auto tranny.

Many different vehicles use the ZF 6HP26 and have the same issues.

You don't need to rebuild your tranny.

Stay away from that dealership if they seem to have no idea what they are doing. All that.money spent on AC issues?? New transmission?!? I'd NEVER go back there again...

Even the Indy shop quoting you a rebuild. Sounds like they're going to screw you over too. Did they drive your vehicle and give you an estimate? Did they keep it for a day and do diagnostics?

Any GOOD shop that knows these vehicles would flush your tranny (yeah flush it, not just drain and fill) and replace the filter and verify the fill level properly. It's not a big job or complicated job. This may or may not fix the issue. But there's a good chance it will. ZF says the tranny never needs to have the fluid replaced. But it does. SO DO THIS.

If that doesn't fix the issue, find a competent transmission shop (I say that because again, most tranny shops will be useless morons) that is familiar with the 6HP26 and get them to check it out. Could be as simple as replacing a solenoid.

Wait for Phil to chime in, if he's even on here any more. I. Sure he will have better info than I do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think P0735 is a gear ratio error. Could be just low fluid. Low fluid could also cause it to shift funny.

How, specifically, does the tranny act up? Does it have trouble shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear and rev up and bang into 4th? That's very common, probably #1 with the 6hp26.

You said it sometimes doesn't downshift properly when you pull out to pass. That sounds like low fluid too. Or possibly valve body.

Does the torque converter lock up properly?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
P0735 is a gear ratio 5th gear signal implausible code. Its a mechanical fault code (ie its not related to a failed solenoid) with the valve body caused by wear where the transmission RPM between the input and output shaft speeds vary from normal by more than 400 RPM. May be worn seals in the valve body, could be the beginnings of a crack in the bridge seal, or the sealing tubes between the valve body and transmission body, but most likely its in the valve body itself. As a disclaimer, I am not a transmission wizard by any means.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't have a lift so I'm not really in the mood to break out the transmission myself lol. I sent it off to a reputable Indy shop for a full rebuild. Probably going to throw in the ford heavy duty clutch packs while I'm at it too

·
Registered
503 Posts
How, specifically, does the tranny act up? Does it have trouble shifting from 3rd gear to 4th gear and rev up and bang into 4th? That's very common, probably #1 with the 6hp26.

You said it sometimes doesn't downshift properly when you pull out to pass. That sounds like low fluid too. Or possibly valve body.

08 Supercharged with 65k miles. Old lady driven basically. Never any flooring or sport mode etc.

I'm noticing it slip occasionally and then bang into the gear almost as if the car was placed into neutral them revd up a 1.5k rpm and then put back into gear. Almost always in a higher gear.
any word? Mine is doing this too...been doing it for about a year. REALLY noticeable going up a hill....I'll be in 3rd, RPMS get to around 3k (IIRC) then shoot up like being put in N (like OP said) then RPMs drop and it slams back into 3rd. Only way i can catch it into 4 is if I time that "feels like it goes into N" perfectly and let off my foot off the accelerator and let it shift into 4. Very hard to do though.

Only way I can drive it on highway is to put in in manual mode and shift it manually from 3rd to 4th (let off gas) let the shift happen and RPM settle, then foot back on gas and leave it in 4th. If I try to put it into 5th it will basically go into 5 then drop to 6th by itself and then throw a "limited gears error" that keeps me in 3rd lol

Every now and then I get a CEL..but it will go away on its own. Comes and goes.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Thanks Phil! The problem he outlined in that thread is exactly what I'm experiencing too. I PM'd him hoping he can provide me the parts he picked up from Sonnax. Want to make sure I get the right one and the right quantity. Also wondering if this is a DIY or (drop the tranny/pan/drain fluid) take it to a garage type job.

·
Registered
503 Posts
welp looks like you have to tear the entire tranny apart. This is beyond my DIY ability. $15 dollar part and prob $500 or more to put it in. haha

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
welp looks like you have to tear the entire tranny apart. This is beyond my DIY ability
It’s certainly a hassle to get the transmission out, but accessing the worn bush once it’s on the bench is straightforward enough because you only need to remove the oil pump/stator support assembly to get at it. The transmission running gear can remain in place, undisturbed.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/44034-zf-6hp26-teardown.html

Phil

·
Registered
503 Posts
thank you for the link....cant see the pics here at work but looks very thorough!

I take it the you can't get at by leaving the tranny on the vehicle though :/

·
Registered
503 Posts
drats...haha. Probably keep driving as is until I trade it in....or it explodes. I've been looking at newer Ranges anyway...or Gwagons (don't flame me) lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts