RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I apologize if this seems like an odd question, But I read elsewhere that the audio systems in the RSS can play DVD-A discs. I do not have the DVD ENT option in my RSS, has anyone tried this on a non-DVD'd Screened Rover? The manual was no help as far as I could see on what formats it supported. I thought there may be a chance since the NAV update disc are DVD's? ...so i am told anyway

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1,157 Posts
i may be confused here, but as i read your post, you're talking about two different drives. i always thought the in-dash, 6 disc changer isn't a DVD drive. the navigation drive under the driver's seat is a DVD drive, but i'm pretty sure it won't play DVD-A discs nor would you get the radio controls to work with it. they way i look at it, if it won't even display mp3 track information and has a docking interface for really old nokia phones, do you really think they thought about supporting DVD-A?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea there were two different drives (I've had the car about 3 weeks...)

anyway...valid points..and was just curious anyway.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
hv9200 said:
Hello!

I apologize if this seems like an odd question, But I read elsewhere that the audio systems in the RSS can play DVD-A discs. I do not have the DVD ENT option in my RSS, has anyone tried this on a non-DVD'd Screened Rover? The manual was no help as far as I could see on what formats it supported. I thought there may be a chance since the NAV update disc are DVD's? ...so i am told anyway

Phil is right about the confusion. You won't be able to play DVD-anything with the in-dash 6 CD changer (or single disc CD player starting with MY2010s) of the RRS. The NAV on 2006-2009s is DVD based alright, but it's got its own dedicated drive (located under the driver's seat) compatible with navigation data DVDs only. On MY2010s, the NAV is hard drive based so that DVD drive is gone. If you have the factory Rear Seat Entertainment system option, you also get a 6-disc Alpine DVD changer in the trunk to play video DVDs on the headrest monitors and through the car sound system. However, the RSE is unable to decode DVD-Audio tracks as well - although most DVD-A discs also include alternative Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 tracks for players unable to read DVD-A. The RSE will decode and play DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks through the Logic 7 system and sounds quite impressive, actually (I have several music-only DVD-A discs I purchased for that reason myself.) But, no native DVD-A decoding, sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts