RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, it seems the front brakes on my 08 RR SC are sticking. It seems to be both front brakes. When I am at a stop you can hear and feels the brakes releasing slowly after you lift off the pedal. If I park on a slight incline, there is a 3-4 second pause from when I release the pedal to when it will start to drift backwards. They do not seem completely seized. I have had 2 seized calipers on my old D2. These do not smell hot or seem excessively warm. I pulled both off this past weekend and checked them out. I cleaned off all the accumulated brake dust. Pads are fine and wearing ok. Rotor looks ok, no excessive wear. I was able to easily retract all 4 pistons on each caliper. I reassembled with a little grease on each pad as this wasnt done by whom ever replaced the pads. But it had no effect. Brakes feel firm and grip good. Fluid level is stable. I am going to bleed the front brakes this weekend and see if this has any effect. Any other thoughts? I find it hard to believe both calipers would go bad at the same time. Seems like something else in the braking system. Master cylinder going? Appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,953 Posts
you might have a MC going bad and it could be from mixing different brake fluids ,
I would suggest to drain the system and replace it with fresh Rover brake fluid,
you may still need a new MC.

NOTE if the front brake hoses have never been replaced then it would be wise to replace them before you swap in a new MC,
as these hoses were a recall item

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
+1 on checking MC... I'd quickly google how to diagnose and follow through with that testing. Beyond that, there is a recall on hoses on your rig I'm quite sure. I got one in the mail, tho by the time I got it I had already replaced with SS hoses. It could be one was failing and now that potentially both have failed you're feeling it? Either way when they fail they fail in a way where once up to temp they bulge and collapse on themselves meaning fluid will enter the caliper but when you lift your foot, the fluid can't escape quick enough causing delayed brake response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Wasnt aware of the recall. How would I know if they had already been replaced. Do the new lines look any different. Ive had the truck for about 5 years and know they haven't been done since I owned it. I'll be checking the master cylinder this weekend.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
call the dealer with your VIN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I'm now more confused than before. Please excuse the long post.

So I had time to look into the brake issue. As I said, both front brakes were sticking. So I jacked up the front end, pumped the brakes, tried to move the wheels, both were stuck. So I started at the caliper, loosened the bleed screw and it freed up the wheel. Then I moved up to where the flex line meets the hard line. Opening this too freed the wheel. I did this for both sides and got the same results. So at this point I assumed the master cylinder was bad. So I bought a new OEM master cylinder. Replaced this and flushed and bled the whole system using SDD (not sure how the system is supposed to work, but followed instructions on screen starting at Left rear wheel, moving to Left front wheel, it did not work the ABS modulator until I got to the Right front and right rear wheels). And... no difference.

So at this point I checked a few more things. Interestingly, if I loosen the bleed screw or line on one side it will free up both that side and the opposite front brake. So then I moved up to the ABS modulator. If I open the the Right front wheel line where it goes into the ABS modulator, fluid will run out with a little pressure. This will then free up both front wheels. If I do the same to the front Left front line at the ABS modulator, it barely trickles out and does not free up either wheel. So at this point I am leaning towards the ABS modulator being bad. Thoughts ????

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
sounds like you may have found the issue get a new ABS unit and install it

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts