Range Rovers Forum banner
13K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  turbologist 
#1 ·
I have a 08 Range Rover SC and wanted to start doing more service myself. I wanted to start by changing the oil but Im not too familiar with the 4.2 yet. Is there any DIY for the oil change or is there a service manual I can download to get me started?

Thnx...

#2 ·
I've done mine. Not too difficult.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I think it takes 6 or 7 quarts. (Can't remember exactly how much)

Step 1 - Warm up car.

Step 2 - Unbolt the plastic pan underneath the engine. (This takes a while)

Step 3 - Unscrew drain plug and let oil flow out. (Don't get any hot oil running down your arm.)

Step 4 - Unscrew filter. It's tough to reach but you can get to it. Oil will spill all over the sway bar beneath the oil filter. It's a mess. I had oil all over the place.

Step 5 - I filled the new filter about a quarter full with new oil before putting back on the car. It's side mounted so you can't put TOO much oil in the filter or it will just spill out all over you.

Step 6 - Tighten new filter.

Step 7 - Replace drain plug and don't over torque.

Step 8 - Fill'er up with oil. Keep checking dipstick until level just touches high mark on dipstick. I run the engine a bit to make sure the level is accurate.

Step 9 - Crack open the beverage of your choice and relax. It's done.

#3 ·
I did the oil change on my 2008 4.4 HSE. It's not supercharged, but I believe it uses the same AJ8 block.

Putting the car in the off road suspension setting gave me more clearance. I still put jack stands under the subframe as a precaution.
I removed the plastic cover hiding the tow ring with a small flat head screw driver.
The plastic pan under the radiator and under the front of the engine was attached to the vehicle with a number (around 18) of bolts. A 10 mm socket should fit.
The drain plug was on the right side of the cast aluminum oil pain, just behind where the right sided axle passes through the oil pan. A 13 mm socket should do the trick.
The oil filter is mounted horizontally, in front of the oil pan, below the harmonic balancer. I used an oil filter wrench to loosen the filter. I hand tightened the filter on reinstall.
My manual specified 7.7 liters of motor oil, which is equal to 8.1 quarts.
Total time was around 20 minutes.

If you know a way to reset the Service Interval Indicator I'd love to hear about it. I've seen a few methods posted, but I believe they only work for BMW engines, and for Jag engines outside of North America.

The SC engine may have different capacities. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
My filter is on like a gorilla with anger issues and a 3 foot breaker bar installed it. What size filter wrench fits the official range rover filter? I tried a two types of universal wrenches and failed.

#5 ·
My filter wrench was the "cap" type, that goes over the top of the filter. I'm at work, and cannot recall the exact size. I'll check when I get home. It was a little too large, but I wiped the filter down, then wrapped the filter and the "cap" with duct tape. I was then able to loosen the filter, by turning the "cap" with a 3/8" drive ratchet. I have also seen a "strap-type" filter wrench, but don't own one.

#7 ·
Thnx for the helpful and insightful replies... I think what threw me off was when I crawled under there and saw the axles going into what I initially thought was the oil pan (turns out it was indeed the oil pan). Putting it in off road mode is a great suggestion... Ill try and take some pics as I do it to help out others and to get confirmation from you guys on the correct bolt...

Second part of my question, is there a service manual available for download for my 08 full size SC?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.