RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm down to one key - one fob and need to get a replacement in case something happens. I've researched the fluxuating cost associated with this and as I'm sure you all know, it's A lot! The twist to this plot is that the truck is Canadian but she lives in Mexico now. There is a Ford dealer but I went there for some maintenance and they didn't want anything to do with her. There are no "Range Rover" dealers there so I'm at a loss for what my options might be. I looked into a keyless entery, remote start. I am not sure if this is an easy install on my 2008 Range Sport sc but at $300 ish it seems like a better alternative to $600usd for a key.

My question is, will the keyless system, random ebay work or do you have to work for NASA to install it and are there alternatives to getting a key made? I have no idea how to go about this, it's rather overwhelming.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
I just bought a used 2012 RR Sport and it only came with one fob so I'm in the same boat as you.
You need a Jaguar dealer not a Ford dealer.
The car has to be programmed to accept the new fob. The dealer will sell you a new fob, emergency key, and program the car for it, but going that route will cost you multiple hundreds of dollars and they would need to have the car. One solution is to buy a used fob of the correct type off of ebay. They're usually somewhere around $80. You would still need to have the car programmed to accept it though.
I know far more about Jags than Land Rovers, but they are made by the same company and share many of the same parts. With Jags especially older ones its usually not a difficult process to program a new fob, they just keep the process secret so dealers can rape your wallet for doing it. With many Jags (older ones especially), you can program a new fob simply by doing an odd set of actions like leaving the driver side door open and flashing the headlights 5 times to put the car into programming mode. If you can find out what it takes to put your year/model RR into programming mode and what you need to do from there, you may find that you can easily do it yourself. If you do find that info please post/share it here!
Regarding getting the emergency key cut.... according to an LR dealer I spoke to, even they have to send to England for those, but they aren't too bad cost-wise. One dealer told me a replacement emergency key would be like $78. You have to show proof of ownership to the dealer before they will even do it though. As you don't have a dealer near you that may be too inconvenient, so I've seen fobs with blank emergency keys for sale on ebay, so you could easily get a blank. It may not be easy/possible to find a key-cutter that can even handle/cut that type of key to duplicate yours though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do not believe that the key system in the 12 and the 08 are similar.

What I did: buy the IIDTool (USD400+)and contact a few dealers for an unprogrammed (read new) fob(USD200). With the IIDTool you can program the new fob. The IIDTool can be used for many different things and will last as long as you have your 08.

SO your initial 600ish dollars will work alot harder for you than having a dealer charge you 600 just for the fob.

If you call different LR dealers you may be able to get a better price on the fob and no one has to be close to 08 other than yourself. Be careful with the ebay specials. It is my understanding that once programmed it is locked to that first vehicle and cannot be reprogrammed for another.

As for cutting the key - You can find someone to do it, but it won't be the local hardware store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts