RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped out pads from ceramic to composite 2 months ago and the problem started immediately. under slow speed braking there seems to be a metallic pop. I thought it could possibly be the suspension somewhere, but even with the car stopped adding just a bit more pressure to the brake or pumping will cause the pop. Single sharp pops or a popping creaking type noise from the drivers side (US). Last night I had some time and decided to inspect the caliper, none of the 4 pistons seem seized and everything seems to be in good condition. All I can think is maybe the plate that slides under the pins to secure the pads has become weak and causing the pads to slide/slap??? Last night I noticed the passenger side one is unmovable once fit and the problem side the plate seems to slide around when pushing on it. Is there a source for the brembo pins and that plate? They're original to the car so I'm thinking with the most recent pad swap the drivers side plate is just too week to hold everything in place.

Anyone else ever encounter this issue?

TIA

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have an 06 SC and I think I have the same problem as you.

I thought it was brake parts making the pop under moderate braking but it's not.

I replaced pads and rotors, all caliper hardware, and even got new pistons for the brembos (didn't bother installing, old ones still good) and the noise is still there.

Also replaced caliper bolts and drilled out the calipers and installed helicoils since those threads are notoriously weak.

Made no difference. I'm thinking it's sway bar bushings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 06 SC and I think I have the same problem as you.

I thought it was brake parts making the pop under moderate braking but it's not.

I replaced pads and rotors, all caliper hardware, and even got new pistons for the brembos (didn't bother installing, old ones still good) and the noise is still there.

Also replaced caliper bolts and drilled out the calipers and installed helicoils since those threads are notoriously weak.

Made no difference. I'm thinking it's sway bar bushings.

Yikes were your stock threads stripped? While heilcoil is stonger than stock threads over time they tend to come out with bolts. With something that sees as much service and heat cycling as a caliper you're going to be on borrowed time with those. They're going to expand and contract at different rates than the aluminum since they're steel and break down whatever locker you used. They'll eventually fail during a service. Probably wouldn't have done that! I ALWAYS go with timeserts which are about a million times better than heilcoil garbage. You bore and tap a larger hole, red locker then fit it. You can also choose the material that suits your application, in this case aluminum so it head cycles similar to the surrounding material.

image003.gif

As for my issue resolved, it was the plate that secures the pads. I pulled it out today and bent it the opposite way of the tension the pins put on it in an attempt to re-tension it. Noise is gone, seems under slow brakes/turning the pads would move and cause the plate to ping off of the pads/caliper. I ordered a new set of pads that comes with new pins and the spring plate.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sorry, I used Time-Sert's not helicoils. I'm just used to calling them helicoils.

I drilled and tapped larger diameter and inserted these, and retained stock caliper bolts.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I used Time-Sert's not helicoils. I'm just used to calling them helicoils.

I drilled and tapped larger diameter and inserted these, and retained stock caliper bolts.

Okay thanks god, haha. Those are extremely strong!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts