RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 Sport SC with 140k

I'm dealing with what seems to be a fueling issue. Essentially here's what I've been experiencing for a few months now and seemingly is getting worse:

WOT and 3/4 throttle on flat roads and all is well, however, once RPM decreases and I begin to maintain speed on city streets and on the highway, I notice under partial load and minimal throttle that the rpm slightly flutters and you can feel the whole vehicle shutter. Its also clearly noticeable in the gas pedal and audibly with the exhaust and engine sound. Note that I'm not hearing any moaning from the FP.

The only way to make it temporarily go away is to give it more throttle. Now when I'm driving up hills its even more prominent and I'm almost constantly having to increase throttle to make it go away. I have no codes, the idle is great, WOT is great. Just had the TB cleaned, replaced OEM engine air filter and that did nothing.

I know that people can spend alot of time and money chasing down issues, hoping that some of the brain trust on RR.Net can give me some insight. Thanks in advance for taking some time reading my post!
20170221_063602.jpg

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Re: Hate to be THAT guy with a help request on my first post

First thing that comes to mind would be a converter coming apart and plugging the exhaust hole. I would get under the car and smack the exhaust in different places to see if parts are floating around as a first step. Most things will cause faults. Check your short term fuel trims and see if they are reading correctly. just a couple thoughts to get you started.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Ed, just got out from under there and banged away all around the exhaust. Nothing seemed to be loose.
As for short term fuel trims, I guess I'm going to have to get it scanned to report back on that.

Anything else come to mind in the mean time? Does it definitely sound like fueling? Any chance its DT-based, possibly? Doesn't sound like a rear diff potentially does it? Should I just focus on fueling for now? Can't be something as simple as a fuel filter, plug wires, plugs/coil packs?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
862 Posts

I think you need to get a scanner that reads RRS specific codes like the IID tool or I have an Icarsoft . A bit cheaper with less features. My first thought was fuel filter but that usually does not turn out to be the problem. Does sound like fueling though.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts

Your probably going to have to look at live data at this point. It is probably not fuel filter (there really is not one in there) any missfire like plugs or coils will almost definitely show a fault. It is going to be tough getting good answers with so little information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks fellas, I was worried this was going to be a pest to determine. One thing's for sure is that its progressively worsening. I almost can't drive it under minimal load without hesitation and shuttering. As soon as I give it a few hundred RPM more of throttle to slightly increase speed just a few MPH its starts to shake and the RPM's blip up and down a tad. Its very obvious in the gas pedal now more than ever as you can feel the feedback from the inconsistent flow of fuel.

It's to the point where its so blatant that I can't see how figuring this out can be that difficult after I'm able to log some live data. I'll report back with what I find. Cheers and thanks again!

·
Registered
83 Posts

I have the same car but a 06 w 120k. I think the issue you are having has to do with your tranny because i have the same issue. Im not 100% sure what mine is yet but im leaning toward the torque converter. I've been trying to find out how to do that without lifting the body off the car.

Mine does it in 3rd to 4th gear. Its like the transmission doesnt know if it wants to be in 3rd or 4th so i either have to get off the gas or accellerate to a point where the car is certain what gear to be in. The reason im leaning toward the torque converter is because i just recently had the tranny fluid/filter flush, it was better the first week but it has come back.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

I had a similar issue several years ago. I was able to replicate it in manual mode, shifting through and finding the rpm it occurred at. Was under warranty at the time, dealer did a ECM update, that was known for a different VIN range, and got approval to do it on mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

OK, that's a concerning, however, with mine, the Rover gets into the proper gear, whatever gear that is, and once I give it just a tad bit more of throttle (a few hundred RPM) that's when the shake occurs and you can also visually watch the RPM bounce on the tach, feel it in the gas pedal and hear the motor. It now does it in all gears above 1st. And it does it on any roads with any grade. Keep this thread updated with anything you figure out. Thanks for your input as it may very well be Tq converter after all.

I have the same car but a 06 w 120k. I think the issue you are having has to do with your tranny because i have the same issue. Im not 100% sure what mine is yet but im leaning toward the torque converter. I've been trying to find out how to do that without lifting the body off the car.

Mine does it in 3rd to 4th gear. Its like the transmission doesnt know if it wants to be in 3rd or 4th so i either have to get off the gas or accellerate to a point where the car is certain what gear to be in. The reason im leaning toward the torque converter is because i just recently had the tranny fluid/filter flush, it was better the first week but it has come back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Very cool that you got it addressed with a reflash of the ECM! I can only wonder what the dealer would charge for a reflash on an out-of-warranty vehicle LOL. Thanks for your input though man, I'd love to be so lucky to have a reflash address the issue.

I had a similar issue several years ago. I was able to replicate it in manual mode, shifting through and finding the rpm it occurred at. Was under warranty at the time, dealer did a ECM update, that was known for a different VIN range, and got approval to do it on mine.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts

I have a 2008 RRS HSE 4.4L and I’m having the same issue at the moment. I originally thought it was a misfire so I decided to connect my scan tool up and got 12 codes back P0300 - P0308 all 8 cylinders misfire P0316 nisfireon start-up P0420 & P0430 Catalyst System efficiency below threshold bank 1 & 2. So that lead me to believe this might be a fuel problem. The issue I have now is finding a place to connect fuel pressure diagnostic since we don’t have a Schreader Valve. I’m thinking its Fuel Pump and Filter problem but not certain till I run test. Were you able to figure out what was going on with yours as I believe we have the same problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts