RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've had my 07 RRS for about 10 months. Unfortunately I've had to replace ball joints front and back, all bushings, front and back, all transmission seals, and pan.
Now it's like the transmission is clunky when downshifting to first gear when coming to a stop. If it's a rolling stop and I get back on the gas too quickly the trany kicks into gear. It definitely doesn't feel normal.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, and hopefully it's not a transmission overhaul that needs to be done?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Wow that's a lot going on there. j/c why the transmission seals and pan were replaced?

If it wasn't for that (the possibility that the transmission fluid was running low for some time due to leaks and it caused some problems) I would look at the usual suspects. Software reflash, recheck level of transmission fluid, and assuming the fluid was replaced when the seals and pan were replaced, it was the correct fluid? etc. etc.

If you want some additional reading see Umberto's post with the ZF troubleshooting link about halfway through this thread.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39169

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The downshifting problem started so I brought it in to my Land rover dealer to fix. They discovered a very small leak from one of the transmission seals. They replaced it and unfortunately that caused the pan gasket to go, so the replaced that as well. A week later I came out to discover my transmission was leaking substantially. Had it towed back to the dealer and they replaced the pan and gasket as they determined the pan was warped.

My fear is that you're correct in that the fluid might have been low and caused some damage. that being said, I pay attention to leaking fluids under my vehicle and didn't notice any prior to the event I mentioned above.

I'll definitely review the link you posted.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Struth CJ.

I know ZF auto's will Never Overheat but seems like your dodgy stealer dealer has let you loose with no trans fluid - Crickey ! !

Sounds like a new replacement 'Puffmatic' is on order here and better make sure your ride is within the warranty period dude.

By the way what's the build date and year of your RRS, in case several problems existed with VIN numbered vehicles via TSB's ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Sounds like a new replacement 'Puffmatic' is on order here and better make sure your ride is within the warranty period dude."

Sorry I don't know what a 'Pufffmatic' is and unfortunately my warranty is done as I have 90k on the vehicle. I bought it used, so unless there is a power train warranty that I'm unaware of, I think I'm up a creek.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Get them to reflash your automatic transmission module with latest software patches first, this sounds identical to a problem some 2006s used to have and it was "cured" by a software upload into the TCM. See this old thread / TSB: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... 7&start=32 - I hope that's all it will take. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Get them to reflash your automatic transmission module with latest software patches first"

Thanks for this suggestion. I've just called the service manager at my LR dealer and he's confirming whether or not there was any update applied.
He also seemed to recognize this problem. Mentioned something about a pressure accumulator, in the transmission has caused the issue I've described, in the past. He also mentioned that the update 'sometimes' fixes it and sometimes not.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks very much for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts