Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 HSE 57k miles and new battery withHDC fault and transmission range change not

available....replaced the battery last month but still having the same issues. feels like the clutch is slipping, no power steering and the nav system restart continuously.

shut car off and had nothing when I turned the key. disconnected the battery and reconnected and then it started but still having the issues

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 07 HSE 57k miles and new battery withHDC fault and transmission range change not

forgot to mention - this happened after I drove though about 6 inches of water slowly

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 07 HSE 57k miles and new battery withHDC fault and transmission range change not

I have no idea....just drove it for 3 miles and no issues...totally fine....shuts off, starts up, accelerates...totally bizzar

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

forgot to mention - this happened after I drove though about 6 inches of water slowly
Immediately after, or next day-ish?

Charge/battery light lit on the dash?

I would be looking at main power to start, battery, alternator, main grounds(there is one behind the RF wheel liner, that might be low enough to have been in the water you went through) But all that said, I have taken these trucks through far more water then that, so I am also wondering if maybe you got some into the vehicle(assuming that puddle was result of a good amount of rain) that is giving more minor issues, all at once.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

happened about 5 mins after I went through the puddle. my closest dealer is 25 miles away. shld I try and driving it there?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

puddle was like 30 ft long, 6 inches deep throughout...

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Battery light? and if you have the equipment, I would check running voltage before trying to drive it any amount of distance.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

I bet you fried the alternator, or at least damaged the voltage regulator which is the same thing. Off you should see 12ish volts, running it should be 14-15V... I'd try to use an analog meter when testing, the digital ones don't have the refresh rate to show you if your voltage is pulsing. Also the alternator is at the bottom of the engine, so if you were in just enough water to splash/submerge the alt I bet that's it. When I swapped out my alt weeks later the lights in the truck were pulsing, I was getting weird errors. Turned out the regulator on my new alt was bad, volts spiked etc and various systems would go on and offline.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
938 Posts

Aren't these alternators sealed as they are water cooled?? I don't think it was toasted due to water insertion. It might just be a coincidence that it quit on him after going over the puddle!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

03-05 is water cooled/sealed unit, the +06 units are standard air cooled, and open to elements. Not that common for water to cause it to fail, but can definitely happen.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

road side came and brought it to Southampton...we shall see

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

LR is saying the culprit is the battery disconnect switch. ECO not throwing off any errors

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

got the car back from the dealer. they removed the battery disconnect and did the 60k mile service, brake fluid, coolant flush, fuel injectin services, cleaned the throttle bodies, and a new set of wipers.

I drove the car about 50 miles and no issues other than a metallic smell like a clutch slipping - maybe its he new akebono pads?

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2,013 Posts

could also be a dragging caliper,
its easy to find get your IR gun go for a quick drive, dont use the brakes much ,
then shoot the rotors the hot ones have calipers that are dragging

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

ahhh hadn't thought of that...that wld probably explain the slight shimmy im getting while cruising right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts