RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So after an incident with the wife and ice in the 06 sport, I'm looking for another Rover. Been looking at lr3's and lr4's, but nothing is quite right. For the hell of it I looked at a 06 full size range Rover supercharged today. 158k miles(same my sport had), 3 owner car, Carfax shows local Rover dealer did most maintenance. Drove very well, no odd noises or vibration or anything. Rear camera dead, steering wheel heat doesn't work and needs a taillight and headliner. Dealer is asking just under 8k, which is well under anything else newer than 06+ around here. Wasn't quite looking for that big (and didn't offer 3rd row) but it's tempting and is a good looking truck. Any other issues I should look for? Any reason I shouldn't?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Not saying a bad deal.. but I would look at purchasing something out of town and having it transported. There’s an 06 SC near me with 100k and nothing wrong for $9000. Look on Autotrader or Cargurus and see what you can find. 06s are a little unpredictable when it comes to reliability.

How about an area so people know if there's a truck local to you?

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,941 Posts
I would not get the 06 its one off year where they proof tested the Jaguar drive line with the BMW chassis best bet on your budget is 2007 to 2009 look for trucks with 100K miles and look in La California they are plentiful and not rusted and less expensive

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
The 2006 is also the odd stepchild and one year only for some systems, parts and communications. It's also the first year of the second generation so they had first year bugs and growing pains. Naturally they will have all been worked out. If you are the type to want to add Connectivity and audio upgrades be advised that nothing is plug and play or easy on a 2006.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Oh man, I was a little scared to outright say that 06's are pieces of junk but everyone else had done that for me..

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If I had a choice of an 05 or an 06 I would take the 05

If I had a choice of an 06 or an 07 I would take the 07

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in St Louis area, if I go for other than local, it'd be for a lr4, baby #2 is due in a few weeks, the third row will be real handy.

Didn't realize they had mixed stuff like that, my 06 sport was a great vehicle haha. Wouldn't pay 8 either way, was deciding if I should make offer or not.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If I had a choice of an 05 or an 06 I would take the 05

If I had a choice of an 06 or an 07 I would take the 07
I dont know about picking a 05 over a 06, i had a 05 and it was horrendous, the 06 is not perfect but reliability wise from my experience it's like going from a russian lada to a Toyota camry. I do agree with picking a 07-09 over a 06 though.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I had 2 05s and one had 65K the other 150K both rode and drove great and had the best seats with the Oxford leather upgrade
Both got the intake refresh and V plate swap out and fresh cam cover powder coating.

I put new shocks all the way around on the 65K truck it was like a new truck,
the 150K truck had new front shocks installed
Beyond that not any issues thats my experience

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking. May end up with another sport, maybe an lr4 but most that are equiped how I want are 4-8 hours away, which is hard with a wife that's over 8 months pregnant...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
they do have a thing called shipping services buy your machine then ship it to your door, easy peasy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they do have a thing called shipping services buy your machine then ship it to your door, easy peasy
Did that with a salvage 12 mustang GT I'm gutting for a coyote swap in my roush, but for this it'd add enough money it makes more sense to buy a nicer, newer vehicle closer.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Los Angeles trucks are in better condition no salt,
and usually run a little bit less due to more units available, so adding in a shipping charge can have a benefit of getting a better condition truck from farther away .
I know the hardest part is you usually only have pictures but, better to have a person look it over first

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
Oh man, I was a little scared to outright say that 06's are pieces of junk but everyone else had done that for me..
LOL, yep buy an 07+MY

in 07 "vertical wheel travel was reduced to 7.6 inches/194 mm at the front (down from 10.75 inches) and 11.5 inches/292 mm at the rear (down from 13 inches)"
suspension downgrades combined with the electronic parking brake and the wizardry of the terrain response system introduced in 2007 make them real cream puff's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts