RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings . . . new to the forum, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I have a 2006 RRS and installed (with drilling etc) the Roof Rails and Cross Bars.

Then, I went to Thule to see if there was any good luggage boxes for the RRS but it didnt appear that they have anything available. So, is my only box option the Landrover Factory Luggage Box? Anyone have any experience with this?

In short, I have two kids, two car seats and my car looks like something out of a cartoon when we take a vacation / trip. I need some sorta box on top.

Any and all advice direction help would be most appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I see how it is . . . I'll take out the camera shortly . . .

But I sure would like the picture to display some fancy new luggage box . . . hmmmm . . .

Thanks All

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Welcome. Maybe somebody else can chime in on what might work with those crossbars if you're so inclined, but I've never been much of a fan of factory crossbars, they are too flimsy usually. I would invest in a set of the steel Thule (square) or Yakima (round) crossbars and the associated mounts to adapt to your rails. You can keep these for a lifetime since they will mount to any raised roof rail. They're also a good deal heavier. Leave them a bit longer (don't cut them)to get more stuff up there and make it easier to reach. Its just more cost effective in the long run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks goosey . . . alas, i have already installed them . . .so i need to go down this road . . .(should have gotten your thoughts earlier)

if anyone has thoughts on a luggage carrier that works, other than the factory one, lemme know - thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
You can leave them on--no need to take them off. You may want to weigh the all-in cost of the LR specific system vs. going with this http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-450-crossroad.asp. I have had two cars (a BMW and Toyota) with the stock crossrails which were aluminum and I would not trust a fully loaded coffin on them--LR's construction may be better idk.

I have had my Crossroad system through two cars and it's great. Also if you have more than one car it allows you to switch. It takes about 20 mins to switch cars.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
I've had the LR cargo box/cross bars since I bought my RRS in 2006 and it works very well. The OEM cross bars support 150 lbs in total (items + the cargo box) very easily, the only thing you have to play with a little bit is the position on the roof to ensure the least amount of wind noise. There's a "sweet spot" where the roof line extends to the cargo box to make the wind pass over without buffeting. The cargo boxes attaches with large U-shaped bolts which are inserted underneath the cross bars into the cargo box thru the metal rails which run along side the bottom, and then butterfly style nuts which are screwed onto the u-bolt on the inside of the box. It is also locking and watertight completely...carries quite a bit of soft items. I'm sure i've got some pictures somewhere on my other laptop, none that I can pull up at the moment however.

If you need any other assistance on this item, post back here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got the same installed - I bought a Thule roof bag (the big one) for $100 ish - worked very well and much easier to store as it packs down.

I'll probably get a ski snowboard carrier for the winter - assume I dont need a LR one for that and there's plenty of options..

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Anthony . . . Thules site is a bit problematic bc it doesnt appear that they list RRS as an option for many of their products. Do you recall whether your bag was the Tahoe, Caravan, Escape II, Quest or Nomad??? . . . they're all kinda making my head spin. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
This is why I go with steel crossrails :D

[youtube:2t71qj5d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQtbLngkmM[/youtube:2t71qj5d]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can you buy just the rails or do you have to buy the ralis and cross bars?

Also, is there a site that sells just the ralies cheaper than LR?

·
Registered
219 Posts
anthedwards said:
I got the tahoe - works well
Just for clarification he is talking about a cargo bag not the rails......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roverconnection.com - has rails and cross bars for $450 - way cheaper than anyone else for OEM parts, my dealer wanted $400 to fit - but went to a local indie $120 all in

Goosey how hard is it to fit the non rover cross bars to the rover cross rails? - much modification needed?

·
Registered
219 Posts
anthedwards said:
Roverconnection.com - has rails and cross bars for $450 - way cheaper than anyone else for OEM parts, my dealer wanted $400 to fit - but went to a local indie $120 all in

Goosey how hard is it to fit the non rover cross bars to the rover cross rails? - much modification needed?
Here is a link to their new store they are changing their name:

http://www.bputah.com/

I think the corss bars just clamp on and off.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
anthedwards said:
Unless some new type of foot from Yakima or Thule has come along recently, this is another place where we get screwed by LR into buying their overpriced accessories. :doh: In order to use non-factory crossbars you have to mount a new rail into the roof--not for the meek--I think one of the posters here from PA (search the site) did a really nice job w this a while back and it looks great. I think Thule makes the OEM rack and therefore has some sort of deal with LR not to cannibalize LR accessory sales by making a foot that fits the OEM rail...and unfortunately the OEM rail is not raised (like on many other SUV's) so you can't use the Thule Crossroad mount.

The Thule square bar is not the prettiest system out there, but it will carry 6 sheets of 3/4 plywood (try that with the OEM system). Having purchased the Thule system with the square crossbars (and a myriad of accessories) a number of years ago, I have personally resisted going with the LR system, because I don't want to have to buy all new accessories.

So my RRS roof remains bare as a sign of protest. But if I didn't have my other car on which my existing rack fits, I would spend the weekend with a drillbit and install the non-OEM Thule rails vs. purchasing the OEM system.

·
Registered
219 Posts
anthedwards said:

Roverconnection does not show a picture of the $450 system.
Am I missing something or is it on there site?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Back on 4/15/1008 I posted detailed pics on how to install the rails and rack. I think it is posted under Thule Rack. It took about 2 hours. I have used this rack many times now and have not had a problem or a leak.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's the part no. VUB502130 - click on Range Rover Sport and then under exterior and then roof rack - it seems its $495 not $450 on my earler post

In terms of Thule add -ons looks like for ski/snowboard the "Thule 91724 Universal Flat Top 4 Pair Ski and Snowboard Carrier with Locks" would fit the stock bars (only by looking at the pictures that is) - seems to be around $110....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a follow up, I used the Thule Tahoe Cargo Bag for my road trip and it worked extremely well. It held 4 or 5 soft bags and despite much lower fuel economy and drag, I had no complaints. (it even thunderstomed during the trip and kept the water out . . .altho, I understand others have had different experience on this point) . . .just be sure to fasten the straps, otherwise you'll have serious "strap tapping" over 50 MPH. I do think it makes more practical sense than the hard case on both cost and storage. Good luck all and thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts