RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an OEM duplicate key through a dealer here in Los Angeles, and following the programming instructions posted on the forum, I programmed the new key. The keyless entry locked and unlocked the doors but the key does not work in the ignition; it won't turn the ignition switch on, however, it would manually lock and unlock the driver side door

I am thinking that if the key blank was cut incorrectly in England, it shouldn't work in the door lock either

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
241 Posts
Ignition is more sensitive than the door lock... take it back....

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Actually what is happening here is use of incorrect terms and not understanding what each term actually means. There are three steps to having a new key and remote function properly. On 2006 and newer the key arrives at the dealer PREPROGRAMMED to your VIN etc to match what came with your vehicle. The dealer CAN NOT do this. This is for security reasons. The new key and your rig must be present at the dealer for them to PROGRAM the new key to your ignition. You CAN NOT do this. Again, this is for security purposes. The part anyone can do is SYNC the remote to the keyless entry. All keys must be available when you SYNC and they must all go through the SYNC procedure at the same time.

Femtech, what you did was SYNC the remote to your keyless entry. So what you have done is steps 1 and 3. You need to return to the dealer for step 2 and have the chip in the key programmed to your ignition.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Replacing a missing master key is quite expensive from Land Rover, try not to get sucked into the extra cost of "Dealer coding/programming" You can sync the remote to your keyless entry yourself in 2 minutes by following the simple process below.

1) Get in and close all doors. Turn ignition on and off quickly and remove the key (all within about 5 seconds).

2) Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition off, while holding down the "unlock" button, press the "lock" button three times. Release the "unlock" button. (You may or may not get the confirmation from the door locks.) Holding the key at your head level provides best results as the key sensor is in the side window pillar.

3) Repeat for each key you want to initialize within 30 seconds after the last one you initialized.

4) Right after doing the last key, quickly put the key back in the ignition and turn it on/off again to finalize.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Classic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you RRToashall, you are right. I met a dealer employee who confirmed what you described, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and shell out $120 for the programming. That is one hell of an expensive spare key ($234.86 + $120).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts