1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a range rover sport 2006.
If i am stopped and do a sharp turn (e.g like a 3 point turn), the steering wheel shudders.
If i'm driving normally and turn a corner its does not happen.

I have recently replaced control arm bushings , brakes and had alignment done, i don't know if its related.

Does anyone have any ideas what would do this.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Have you checked/changed your PS fluid? If its dark brown and makes you want to throw up when you smell it, it may be time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ps_fluid.jpg I put a straw in a sucked some up. Its light brown and does not have any odor to it.
I put it in again all the way to the bottom and there was some thick black sediment on the bottom. It still doesn’t have any odor.
I have attached a photo as well.
I don’t know if the sediment is a worn out gasket , or just old fluid, or some other contamination.

Should I flush it ? and if so how ? I say some posts saying to use a turkey baster to empty out the reservoir , but I'm not sure that will get all the fluid out Is there a filter for it ?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
And how is the level? You don't have a burnt odor which is good. But, you should have that fluid changed out.

While you are at it check your belt and the tension.

The fastest way to swap it all is to remove hoses but removing hoses is messy so while it doesn't swap out all the fluid at once I've always removed PS fluid from reservoirs using a small tygon hose and the siphon method (making sure I don't ingest any!). Empty out the reservoir and replace the fluid paying attention to the hot /cold level, then full lock back and forth on the steering a few times to purge any air. Drive it a hundred miles and then do it again. Do this as many times as you can to get the fluid close to its original color. Make sure you use the right spec PS fluid...I'm too lazy to check what the RRS uses but its in your manual.

If that doesn't cure the problem you may have a PS pump issue.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Could also be something as simple as your tires, some rubber compounds will cause the tire to skip when turned without moving, which can cause a shudder in the wheel.

Try and see if it does it on various surfaces(concrete/asphalt/grass, wet/dry) , or if it is always.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah - flushing fluid at almost 10 years old is first and cheap thing to try - I used ac Delco cold climate fluid (from gm dealer or online ) - similar spec to landrover stuff if you dealer is charging an arm and leg ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts