RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
6 Posts
I have a 2006 RRS HSE with 120K miles on it. It I purchased it in November of 2016 with 89K on it. Noticed it didn't have much heat last winter and thought it was the blender motors. I now know its not a problem with the blender motors so I've checked that off the list as I can here them working. So, based on the very helpful information posted previously I'm confident its the core. So this past weekend I attempted to do a complete coolant flush including a new T-stat. When I removed the drain plug from the radiator only about a gallon of coolant drained out (even thought my research says the system holds just shy of 4 gallons). Yes, I opened the filler cap and the bleeder vent to help facilitate the draining. So I have a couple of questions. First, how do I get the system to drain completely? If I put low air pressure thought the filler opening I get a bit more coolant, but not much. Next, is there a tool, or trick, to pressing in the blue tabs on the inlet and outlet hoses attached the heater core to remove them. I don't want to break them. Any help would be great as I would like to this issue resolved quickly. I drive about an hour to work and this morning it was -4 when I started my drive with more of the same in the forecast. Thanks in advance. -Mike

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I was flushing out the heater core on an LR3 and remember I removed the quick disconnect hose by pressing top and bottom of the retaining ring. I remember one side being easy and the other hard to get good leverage. You may have to also push the hose a bit to the firewall to help release.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MI2VA, thanks for the heads up. I will have to give that a try. Does anyone have any thoughts on the total coolant drainage?

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
There is nothing that would impede draining the system. All galleries lines and heater core feeds are all down hill ending up at the bottom of the radiator. The only thing that would have any residual would be the block. If you really only drained a gallon either that's all there was which would explain lack of heat or you have some serious corrosion blocking flow.

Perhaps you should try refilling with just water and purge the air using both bleed valves as per the shop manual directions. When redraining see if you get more volume and pay attention to the color.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RRToadHall, Thanks. You mentioned "both" bleed valves, where is the second one located? I only know of the one on the expansion tank.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
under your engine cover. in fact it is a known weak spot and breaks easily.

use search. I have typed out the directions twice. it is also found in any shop manual for this engine regardless of which model it is installed in.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
@mcushway, and DO replace the plastic bleed valve on top of the engine with non plastic part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks for the help guys. On Saturday I reverse flushed the heater core. I flushed a lot of debris out of it. Also found the second bleeder vent. Went to use it while while refilling the system and it broke. Fixed with a brass fitting and a couple clamps. It was my only route since it was 9:00 at night, so until I can replace properly it will work. So the outcome from the backflush is this. I have heat now, the heater core could use some addition work, but for now it works. When it warms up a bit I will reflush it. Thanks to all the help everyone. One last thing, anyone know where I can aquire a new bleeder valve that is not plastic? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts