RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 HSE noise!! Varying "whining" sound - worst through 2nd gear on accel.

As the topic says, this has been going on at a minimal (yet very annoying) level for a while, but I finally found a way to really replicate it. If I put er in command shift, and select 2nd gear, when accelerating from a near-stop through 3krpm I get a really weird awkward whining/whirring noise that varies in pitch/intensity as the RPMs climb. It's worst around 2500rpm usually. The noise is also accompanied by NVH in the steering column. Steering NVH is also noticed on decel or slight throttle when turning left (slight turn) at slow/med speeds (15-35mph) - it's like someone stuck an electric razor on the steering wheels, slight buzzing vibration.

Someone mentioned varying torque application of the transfer case? I have 72k miles and I doubt the fluid has been changed, but can anyone confirm this being a potential cause?

I've been tracking this issue for a while and I still wonder what driveline components have the ability to send NVH directly to the steering column? Are there isolation bushings which need to be replaced somewhere?

BOTH diffs have been replaced, though I recently noticed the RH seal on the front diff was installed correctly and is leaking - I'll get them to fix that however this noise has been happening before that diff was replaced and since (no change, even after I picked it up before any fluid had leaked out).

Any ideas?

PS: I also went back to stock 19s since I'm repairing my Disco II and am driving on a ton of gravel roads lately, noise and NVH haven't changed at all.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts
Re: 06 HSE noise!! Varying "whining" sound - worst through 2nd gear on accel.

What's NVH stand for in your acronym dictionary?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
335 Posts

lmao, I was asking my self the same thing????
What's NVH stand for in your acronym dictionary?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

NVH =Noise Vibration Harshness

Sounds a bit like a wheel bearing, and hopefully not the diff.

Just a 3 point shot, but is your power steering fluid level ok?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts

I've had a blown wheel bearing once - a cold winter night passing thru Cleveland on the way from Milwaukee to Vermont, and when it blew, the NVH (I've adopted Estoril's nomenclature now) was constant...and not in any one gear or another.

Between the whining, the whirring, the buzzing and the vibration - we have so many sensations to track here!

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Checking the power steering fluid does work, mine was low on my 2006 RRS, topped it off and the similar noise described went away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've had a blown wheel bearing once - a cold winter night passing thru Cleveland on the way from Milwaukee to Vermont, and when it blew, the NVH (I've adopted Estoril's nomenclature now) was constant...and not in any one gear or another.

Between the whining, the whirring, the buzzing and the vibration - we have so many sensations to track here!

:)
Interesting - did it make a noise outside the vehicle though?

Sorry for the confusion, one noise (the 2nd gear accel) sounds more like 2 case or transmission, but the constant vibration through steering wheel feels more like a bearing/drive shaft/etc.

I'll check the PS fluid too but I'm fairly certain I always check all the fluids.

I wonder what else could cause this?

I also get a lower frequency chattering-type vibration through floor when I'm in traffic and at a constant ~10mph, reminds me a little of a drive shaft vibration but could also just be normal engine vibration at the lower RPM/gear. I'm just looking for things that might link stuff together and make more sense to someone!

·
Registered
27 Posts

I may be showing my ignorance here, but on the off chance that the transfer case in your '06 is the same as the one in my '05 BMW X series, I'll throw in the data that in 2005 BMW sold the car with "lifetime fluid" in the transfer case...which - a couple of years later - turned out to not be "lifetime" at all and a TBI was released asking all the dealers to change the fluid (1 liter @$80). For whatever reason our dealer(s) missed the memo and at about 55K it started doing what you've reported - less the steering feedback. By the time I'd IDd the noise and gotten it into the shop and up on a rack, it was the loudest noise in the building. Low gear whine. They swapped out the transfer case. The dealer said they're not allowed to open them there.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts

Hi have you resolved your NVH problem? Mine seems to be similar and no idea what to check first
Today I sit as a passenger and NVH is more aggresive then at driver position mostly on 1/2 gear.. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts