RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had a flat battery, charged it up, now I cant get the car to crank. I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay. When I try to start it I get all the corrrect lights etc but when I go to pos3 on ignition switch the starter moter doesn't try to engage. Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
minimalibu said:
Hi all, had a flat battery, charged it up, now I cant get the car to crank. I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay. When I try to start it I get all the corrrect lights etc but when I go to pos3 on ignition switch the starter moter doesn't try to engage. Any idea's?
Are you sure the battery is recharged? You checked it with a voltmeter?

I would replace a 5 yr old battery as I doubt it will still hold a charge very well. The RRS is very sensitive to low voltage.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
My money is on an exhausted battery as well. On average, the stock units seem to expire after 4/5 years or 50/60K miles, whichever occurs first...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying, the battery is only 2 months old I have had it tested and it's fine. It's been on charge and is at 13.4V but same deal. You don't hear the starter solenoid try to pull in. Local agent thinks it's the starter motor so looks like I will have to get the car on a flat bed and send it in, lucky I got the extended warranty!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Well, there goes my money. Odd that the starter would just stop working without any warning right after you had a flat battery, though. Did the engine ever crank since you recharged it? I wonder if the immobilizer in the car is no longer recognizing your key transponder because of some electrical malfunction in the system while your battery died and was being recharged. In that case, the passive alarm system in the engine control module would not allow the starter to crank until your key(s) are reprogrammed with T4 to match the code in the ECM.

It's all academic since your car is going to the dealer anyway, but if the keys are the problem make sure you bring them both with you (if you have two keys, have you tried both? You never know...) to the dealer. If one key gets re-synced, the one you leave at home will automatically be disabled as a security measure.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It cranked slowly with the flat battery, disconnected +ve lead and put charger on battery only. When I reconnected the battery it went through all the motions
except cranking. I did try both keys, the red imobilizer light goes out when I stick the keys in the ignition and all the central locking and alarm work fine.
I was suspecting something qwerky with the imobalizer to. I am away for 10 days but will post the cause when I get back. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
minimalibu said:
Thanks for replying, the battery is only 2 months old I have had it tested and it's fine. It's been on charge and is at 13.4V but same deal. You don't hear the starter solenoid try to pull in. Local agent thinks it's the starter motor so looks like I will have to get the car on a flat bed and send it in, lucky I got the extended warranty!
Good info to have...in the first post. ;)

But anyhoo, if the starter solenoid is not clicking in, why would the mechanic want to replace the starter w/o checking the solenoid first? The solenoid is very easy to test. Plenty of how-to's on the interwebz. As Umberto stated, very rarely does the starter motor just drop dead w/o warning.

Just to double check, cause I've done it once or twice myself :oops:, you are in Park ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI it was the starter motor. It's still under the warranty luckilly but there's a 3 week delivery time from the UK for the new one. Thanks for all the comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts