RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an interesting problem since my battery died yesterday.

I bought the 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4l V8 about a year ago, and none of the parking sensors were working, so I popped off the back bumper and sure enough, there was a broken wire. I soldered it and the rear ones were fixed and working perfectly.

Yesterday, my car would not start in the morning, so I jumped it (using the proper jumping points) and noticed after jumping it that my rear parking sensors no longer work, they give a 3 second long beep and the light above the button flashes, just as it did when I first bought the car.

I went out and bought a new battery because the old one was shot, but the parking sensors are still not working.

A few points worth noting:

- I checked the parking sensor fuse and it is still good.
- I listened to all of the parking sensors and none of them are clicking.
- The front parking sensors have never worked(none of them click)

So a few questions:

Could jumping the car have fried something?

Right now I am leaning towards the PDC control module being shot, is there a way to test it?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
248 Posts
The three second beep and flashing LED is the PDC ECU telling you it has detected a fault. If you have a fault code scanner it will give you a good indication of what the fault may be.

I think the most likely problem is that one of the sensors or more likely its wiring or connector is faulty. If the ECU detects just one faulty rear sensor it will disable all the other sensors as well and sets the fault condition.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't have a fault code scanner other than an OBDII scanner which wouldn't be able to read the fault.

The odd thing is that if one of the sensors was faulty, I would still be able to hear clicking from the other working sensors, but as of right now there is no clicking from any of them. If none of them are clicking at all, I'm wondering if it could be the pdc module at fault or if it's for sure a wiring problem.

I'm mostly concerned with fixing the rear sensors, but fixing the front ones would be a bonus.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The way I know it, but I might be wrong, is that once the ECU detects a faulty rear sensor it goes into fault mode at which point there's no point in keeping the other ones running so it shuts them down as well. I cannot find this in the manuals but just something I picked up.

A scanner is an essential item for DIY repairs on a RR, there's so much that depends on complicated electronics that you really need to be able to let the RR talk to you and tell you what it feels. It will save you lots of time and probably also pay for itself in a short time by avoiding random replacement of things. I recently got one on eBay for Eur 180 and it's worth every cent.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89engAgn-XA

and my own personal experience, the PDC system will not work if one sensor or the wire to one sensor is faulty. HOWEVER, you will still be able to hear the clicking of each individual working sensor. In my case, none of my sensors are clicking after I jumpstarted the car which is strange and leads me to believe the pdc module might be at fault. I may just buy a used one and see if it fixes it because they are only about 30USD on ebay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I found a ground point in my engine bay that was very dirty, it was located between the ECU box and the wall of the engine bay in a very tight spot.

Cleaned it up and re-tightened it, rear parking sensors work again.

This was a complete shot in the dark but it never hurts to check ground points.

My front parking sensors still don't work, but those are way less critical to me than the rear ones.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When I first got the RR a few weeks ago it had plenty weird electrical problems, such as transfer box and folding mirrors not working when the headlamps are on main beam, the radio sometimes changing channels randomly when the transmission shifts gears and so on.
I had taken it to the mechanic to fix its smoking habit and just mentioned in passing the electrical problems. When I went to collect it he told me he fixed the electrical problems as well even though I had not asked him to - he said it was just some earth conections. I don't know if they were loose, corroded or what but whatever he did to fix them seems to have worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts