RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Range Rover HSE with about 115000 miles. After the coolant temp gets up to normal operating temperature, the gauge will spike from the normal range to the red zone, for about 7 seconds, then return to normal. It will do this multiple times during a normal drive. I recently found a small pin hole in the radiator and used some "stop-leak" type stuff to plug the hole (I know, not the most desirable tool to use).

It passes the sniff test and the oil looks clean (not milky). I've already replaced the temp housing and temp regulator. It almost seems like something is sticking. Part of me wants to replace the radiator, but I certainly don't want to waste any time or money replacing something that won't fix it. There are limited mechanics around me who work on these and the dealership (1.5 hours away) wants $600 just to look at it.

Is it fixable for the value of the vehicle?

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Dear Lourde man. Flush the garbage out of you cooling system. Yea you are going to plug up little holes like your heater core. Replace the radiator yourself. You are over heating because you did not properly purge the air from your cooling system... if you keep driving it and keep overheating it your vehicle will have no value. Do job correctly the first time so you don't end up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've had it to a couple mechanics who said they flushed the air out of the system. Is there a way for me to do this myself? Any links to DIY videos of the process to flush the system of coolant, replace the radiator, replace the coolant and flush the air?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sounds like air to me. If there is small clogs or leaks, its harder to get the air out. I got a Behr radiator from rockauto for around $200. Previous owner used stop leak and it started to clog the transmission cooler. I repalced the radiator, transmission cooler, and flushed the entire system a few times and all is well, 4 years later.

After flushing the system and installing the new radiator, i did the normal top off of coolant as it was running, then put on the cap and drove around the block; then let it cool until the next day. The next morning i opened the cap to release any air and top it off. I then parked on an incline or lift the front and run the engine until warm and bleed any air out via bleed screw. All the air should be out.

Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts