Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh...

My hood wont open - when I pull the release in the car there is no tension. Know, unfortunately, with the several days of single digit weather my battery died.

First, how do I open the hood without the release under the steering wheel? It may be frozen or the cable may have snapped - hasnt worked in a couple weeks. Second, is there an easy way to jump start the car without accessing the battery directly?

Finally, in this extreme cold my belt has been slipping - is this typical or is the cold weather affecting another issue?

Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
Broken at the handle end, or under the hood? This will make a BIG difference.
And what did you mean by "hasn't worked in a couple of weeks"???
The hood has not opened in a couple of weeks? Or what?
It has been covered before, how to get into the rig with a dead battery. No other way to jump it though that I know of. Only other thing would be to try to get to the starter motor with a live cable, and put the ground onto the "chassis". With the ignition on, this should start the vehicle.
Belt has an automatic tensioner.
Cold weather (dont know where you are, so my version of cold may be different than yours) affects lots of things.
Martin

·
Registered
494 Posts
As MArtin says been covered before use the search feature on the right for hood release cable broken or something like that. In short, pull up the tread plate (just pull up). Lift (pry it with a screw driver) out the dead pedal tread. Remove the 10mm bolt, take out the panel. Unscrew the hood release handle. If. Broken there you're OK, pliers on the broken cable end open the bonnet. If not, tow to the stealer a shop you trust. Use the search feature if you don't like this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Broken at the handle end, or under the hood?" -

Not exactly sure - to be honest I dont even remember it snapping

"And what did you mean by "hasn't worked in a couple of weeks"???"

I tried the hood a few times in past couple weeks - Has been so cold I thought it may be frozen

"It has been covered before, how to get into the rig with a dead battery. No other way to jump it though that I know of. Only other thing would be to try to get to the starter motor with a live cable, and put the ground onto the "chassis". With the ignition on, this should start the vehicle."

Someone mentioned taking the side light off and attaching a battery charger to the wires - make sense? And if so couldnt I do that with the cigar lighter wires?

"Cold weather (dont know where you are, so my version of cold may be different than yours) affects lots of things.
Martin"

Im in Buffalo - weather has been around 8 degrees F lately - Seems like quite a few things happening in this weather - now driver side door is frozen shut - would expect more from a Range Rover (with cold weather package)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,259 Posts
Door will be frozen shut, due to it getting wet then freezing. It happens to my $150k big rig, so dont feel bad.
Hate to say it, but the hood will NOT freeze shut!
You could try popping the light out and carefully hooking up a LOW AMP charger I guess. The lighter socket is worth a shot too, but anywhere that is a more direct link to the battery would be the best bet.

Martin

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If broken at the hood end, you can still get it open if you have good "fishing" skills, a fiber optic scope helps too so you can see where the fishing wire needs to go. After having this happen to me on a vehicle once, I always conceal an extra wire which I can access to open the hood if this happens, or if the battery is dead, etc. So far never had to use it, but you never know.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
If broken at the hood end, you can still get it open if you have good "fishing" skills, a fiber optic scope helps too so you can see where the fishing wire needs to go. After having this happen to me on a vehicle once, I always conceal an extra wire which I can access to open the hood if this happens, or if the battery is dead, etc. So far never had to use it, but you never know.
I tried the fiber optic scope and accidently shot a hole in my radiator :)

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
999 Posts
Since you can get inside the truck, you could probably jump it from the rear passenger side compartment. My memory isn't that great anymore, but I seem to recall that there is a large power cable running to that fuse box with accessibility for jumper cables.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue today since the temperature dropped well below 0 F here in Missouri. Nothing happens at all when I pulled the hood release. My guess is that my hood is frozen shut and the ice bond is stronger than the springs which push the hood up when you pull the hood release lever. I washed it a few days ago when it was ~25 F and it has only gotten colder since, probably not the best idea. My hood has been mechanically stuck shut before, but it was quite different, and even then it still popped up partially when the hood release lever was pulled.

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
999 Posts
Your theory has an easy test - get yourself a friend to pull on the release while you pull like heck up on the hood. If you're theory is correct, you should be able to open the hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.