RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Was driving back into work on a small incline and my 2005 Range gives the message 'Select Neutral' on the dash and would NOT move forward. The engine kept revving as if in neutral. When I put it in park there was a loud grinding noise. Only when putting in park from any other gear besides neutral it makes the grinding noise. The lo mountain icon was flashing then turned solid so that leaves me to believe the vehicle is stuck in low gear. We've (my husband and I) have done the fuse 37 remove and replace to no avail. Can someone please help me figure out the issue

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
You need to look under the vehicle to (safely) see if one of the propshafts is turning, in Drive, with the vehicle stationary. As well as a transfer box issue it could be something like the front propshaft spline failure, or maybe one of the driveshafts has become disengaged. Did your vehicle definitely have the Q041 service action?

Phil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a way to reengage a driveshaft? I bought the car recently and am not sure if the service action has been done. how involved is repairing a propshaft spline? Sorry for all the questions. I just spent 500 on a key and I am becoming discouraged.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
If you have the updated front propshaft/final drive then you will be able to see, from underneath the vehicle, that there is a flexible joint at the final drive end of the propshaft

From underneath you should also be able to see if one of the driveshafts has popped out

Phil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greeeeaaat. Thank you. Will have my husband check this out and get back to you!! Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Phil

Could my transfer case motor be the cause of the car not moving forward?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,294 Posts
Yes, possibly the transfer box is in neutral (rather than High or Low Range) but you would be able to establish this by seeing if a propshaft is turning under the vehicle when stationary and in Drive.

• No propshaft rotating = transfer box fault
  • A propshaft rotating but no driveshafts rotating = propshaft fault
  • A propshaft rotating and a driveshaft rotating = driveshaft fault
Phil

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I'm not getting any fault messages besides select neutral. I got under the car and looks like the propshaft has been updated. I've had my axle boots changed on here before. While under there I noticed the axle bar that has the boot connected to the passenger front tire was loose and there was all this gunk around the boot. Is that normal? Is that bar supposed to be loose and could that be a cause for the car not to drive? This is absolutely crazy to me. I recently had the engine and tranny replaced.

Also is the propshaft supposed to spin only in drive or is it a continuous spin?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry to be a pest but is the bar that has the boot on it supposed to have a little wiggle in it? Or should it be firm and tight not able to move at all?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,085 Posts
That's a drive axle and the rubber boot thing covers a constant velocity joint which allows the drive axle to follow the wheel as it goes up and down on bumps and on the front axles they allow the wheel to turn left and right. If the boot is split then the grease inside them will leak out and eventually the joint will wear out and will need to be replaced. The joints should move slightly but not be really loose, they should rotate just a little bit, but the whole axle (and the wheel and tire) should all move the same amount. If one of the CV joints fail (there are two on each axle) and one end can turn while the other end doesn't then the truck will seem like its in neutral.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts