Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Now: 2016 RRS SVR. Previous: 2006 Range Rover Sport, 206k miles!
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 RRS is now approaching 150k miles and for the most part doing pretty good. An ongoing issue now is that going over a series of bumps(mostly pot-hole repairs), the rear seems to hop slightly - usually a hop to the right.

I replaced the front LCA's about 20k miles ago, right front bearing around 10k miles ago, but otherwise everything else has been the same since some dealer work(swaybar bushings, steering rack) around 40k miles while under warranty. This vehicle has had a bit of trailer-towing time(18' enclosed trailer for vintage racing), so I'm actually surprised it's held up this well.

I have recently calibrated the suspension height which did seem to help at first, but the hopping around continues. I've also recently done a front/rear toe alignment. There are 2 noises present - a slight clunking heard and felt in the steering over slow bumps(feels like sway bushings) and a clack noise when backing up and the steering wheel turned to near-full lock.

The RRS is also due for new tires - getting down quite low now.

What area should I target for this issue? Upper control arms, shocks, tie rod ends,...?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
If you are in Pennsylvania I would question if you have an 05 Sport. Do you actually have an L322 or an 06 or newer sport?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are in Pennsylvania I would question if you have an 05 Sport. Do you actually have an L322 or an 06 or newer sport?
Yeah - error on my part. It's a Dec '05 build but is an '06. The RRS is an L320.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Kewl Beans. Whted to make sure you were in the correct section. :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,484 Posts
As Arby states, your shocks are most likely worn out by this point. Check Atlantic British or Arnott for aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Arby states, your shocks are most likely worn out by this point. Check Atlantic British or Arnott for aftermarket replacements.
That's kind of what I've been thinking. I've replaced the shocks on our previous Rovers and they're shot at like 80k. A little more involved on the RRS but I'd be thrilled if I can get the thing handling fairly well again!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,484 Posts
My original ones lasted till about 145k miles, I then replaced all 4 corners with the Atlantic British ones and at 196K, they're holding up nicely. I should get to 250K I think easily from the shocks themselves. Night and day difference once replaced! Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
My original ones lasted till about 145k miles, I then replaced all 4 corners with the Atlantic British ones and at 196K, they're holding up nicely. I should get to 250K I think easily from the shocks themselves. Night and day difference once replaced! Good luck!!
So did you replace the entire strut/airbag assembly or just the strut? And what was the ballpark cost assuming you did the work yourself
Thanks

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,484 Posts
Correct...no point in trying to repair the assembly, just buy a complete unit - comes with shock and airbag combined. I believe it was around $350 per corner from Atlantic British although I think the fronts are more expensive now...perhaps $450 a corner for fronts and $350 for rears. My Indy shop did the install...think it was about 1 hour per corner if I remember correctly. I thought about doing it myself, but figured it's just a lot easier for the pros to do it in case of any stuck bolts or additional hammering with air tools that I don't have is required.

·
Banned
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
139 Posts
Hi, I had a similar issue with mine. Threw pair of arnotts on the front + wheel allignment, that did the trick.. Ordered struts directly from ArnottIndustries. Looking forward to do rears but they available OEM only and cost under 400 a piece.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd just like to add it makes me very happy seeing mileage numbers like these. Cheers!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I watched the video by Atlantic British and he states that an alignment is not necessary, since the struts do not change any geometry.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I just watches the same video and he did say you need to recalibrate he EAS. I wonder how much that will cost if I do all the other work myself or is it really necessary since I'm not messing with the height sensors. I don't plan to use any ODBll tools either... Just let the air out of each corner as I do it (with the battery disconnected).

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up: Replaced the front shocks with Arnotts a few months ago. Made the handling a bit better. Last week I finally replaced the rears with AB's, did a height adjustment, and did an alignment. WOW what a difference. So much better over bumps and the handling is back to what I remember from a long time ago. The right rear was worse than the left, too. So at 153k miles the RRS is feeling somewhat young again!

Really an easy project replacing the entire shock/strut/bag assembly. Tough part was mostly just getting things setup. Have to make sure the chassis is well supported on jack stands before hitting the button to deflate the air springs. Much easier to do the job on the ground instead of my 4-post lift.

Should have probably replaced these shocks 50k miles ago!!

Edit: No stuck bolts, but top bolts were a bit tough to wrench. My small hands and arms probably helped. Never had to remove anything strange - only had to remove the wheel. Lower bolt and nut broke free very easily using my cordless impact IR W7150(I work for IR in the power tools engineering group!).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts