RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, as a current LR owner and just like many of you on this forum, I hope we can help each and everyone one of us out, by providing some input and on allowing us to learn new ways to work and fix our LR's without going to the Stealership and hearing some complete BS, blah blah blah... I'm having what appears to be an issue with my 04 RR-HSE, as it keeps displaying the "Transferbox Neutral" on display indicator.

I've noticed that upon putting it on Drive, and accelerating on the pedal and raising the RPM's as the vehicle picks up speed, it displays the "Tbx Ntrl" light. Not sure why this is happening or what may be causing it, but I'm curious to find te answer, fix it, or have it taken care of ASAP.

Side note, when this occurs, my vehicle is on regular drive mode, not Sport or the Manual Shift mode. Just recently it happened on the freeway, in which it caused my Service Engine Light to appear, and also display, "Transmission Over-Heating"... I plugged in the OBD-2 Scanner and it displaye code P0721- Output Speed Sensor. Not sure if that may be what's causing it, but like I said, I hate to see my Range not be at full-strength since I want to hit up the great outdoors this Summer out throughout Cali.

Thanks once again and looking forward to hearing from evryone who reads this post.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi mate, check fuse 37 is pulled out, should be anyway if you have been driving it all this time. If your gearbox-overheat messege comes up i would get the radiator checked for leaks/ or blockages i.e get it flushed. I would also check the transmission cooler which is on the driver's side under the radiator. This transmission cooler seems prone to getting blocked ?(£80 for a genuine one). When last was your radiator replaced? I have full land rover service history on my car and it has 88k miles. Since ownership i have had a few radiators, transmisson coolers, water-pumps, thermostats and alternators replaced. The 4.4 V8's cooling system is a weak point and needs regular maintenance/ care as it is a 'closed system' or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate. As for the fuse in #37, I took that one out a long time ago and it runs on petrol just so you know. As for the radiator, I personally replaced it myself about 4 years ago with an OEM Behr one, including a couple of the main Radiators hoses. The one thing I didn't think of was the Transmission Cooler, but have one on stand-by to be purchased if that's the case. I'll have my tech do a flush on the both things I mentioned and see what comes up. As for the other parts you mentioned, I has those replaced also, now a couple times since they kept going out.

It's hard to believe for vehicles that are so expensive, you would think their parts would be made out of better quality to last longer. (Shaking my head).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the reply mate. As for the fuse in #37, I took that one out a long time ago and it runs on petrol just so you know. As for the radiator, I personally replaced it myself about 4 years ago with an OEM Behr one, including a couple of the main Radiators hoses. The one thing I didn't think of was the Transmission Cooler, but have one on stand-by to be purchased if that's the case. I'll have my tech do a flush on the both things I mentioned and see what comes up. As for the other parts you mentioned, I has those replaced also, now a couple times since they kept going out.

It's hard to believe for vehicles that are so expensive, you would think their parts would be made out of better quality to last longer. (Shaking my head).

I am lucky that the preious owner maintained and paid for all the replacement parts i mentioned, having owned a Bmw x5 for 3 years and only ever had to change brakes, viscous fan, belts and water pump, i too thought the BMW RR would be ust as reliable. Believe it or not the parts used in these cars are from the best manufaturers in the world, i looked them up

Some people have both petrol/ diesel early l322s and i've seen them with over 200k miles and they still run like new. The good thing is that most of the repairs can be done at home. It really depends on the previous owner/s.

Its a great idea to have another run around on stand-by as i wouldn't use this as my daily car. Having said that, the parts are not so expensive even for genuine parts, its just like having a child, you have to always pamper these cars.

The BMWs suffer from similar issues irrespective of model, believe me i've been through enough of them, even mercs.

Once you keep on top of your coolant, oil both engine and tranny as well as have a good battery, you shouldn't have issues. I should mention to you that my transfer case motor went and had to replace that. I'm not stupid enough to pay over a £1000 for one so i got a second-hand one and she runs fine. I personally manually lock my RR manually and disconnect the + terminal when i'm not using it as i got fed-up of battery-drain issues. I used to do this on my Bmw X5 and never had issues since.

I bought the all comms software too from RSW solutions and you won't see me going to the Main Dealers again, never!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, thanks for sharing that good info. I figure it be best to buy a new Transmission Cooler for now and have it replaced. It that doesn't solve the problem, at least I know I've eliminated one more thing not to worry about for years to come and focus on something else that may potentially be causing the issue. Thanks once again mate, glad to know there's fellow RR enthusiast who have a curious mind to learn and problem solving when it comes to working on their vehicles and saving some money. If we could all simply do that, we would be unstoppable just like the RR's...

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
62 Posts
I was browsing the trans replies looking for an answer to my current problem and you seemed very knowledgeable. I need help! I am having the trans fail safe message come on. It happens at random times. it will come on, and off, on and off maybe 15 times sometimes with 2 minutes. (sounds electrical/sensor) It will shift itself into 4th gear if it stays on- safe mode. more recently it has not been wanting to shift out of 2nd. ive been noticing hard shifts while driving when the car isnt shifting, but the car jolts like it is and/or shifts while the rpm still builds-there seems to be a lag somewhere. it happens in all modes. thanks for any help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts