RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies and gents I need some help. I have an 04 Range Rover that died on me the other day mid drive and had to have it towed. Now whenever I turn it on it runs for about 10-20 seconds and just dies after. The codes I pulled are P0506 and it says p0171 is pending. I spoke with one LR tech that said it was probably my fuel pump and then spoke with another LR tech that said it definitely wasn’t my fuel pump. I have changed out my air filter and cleaned the MAF and it still dies.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ok ladies and gents I need some help. I have an 04 Range Rover that died on me the other day mid drive and had to have it towed. Now whenever I turn it on it runs for about 10-20 seconds and just dies after. The codes I pulled are P0506 and it says p0171 is pending. I spoke with one LR tech that said it was probably my fuel pump and then spoke with another LR tech that said it definitely wasn’t my fuel pump. I have changed out my air filter and cleaned the MAF and it still dies.
You can go through the trouble of testing the fuel pressure at various places but IMO fuel filter. If that hasn't been done in a while you should do it anyway. If that doesn't fix it I'd probably check the pressure and replace the pump if the results aren't sufficient. Had something very similar happen a couple of times... Sure it could be other things but this way my exact situation more than once. I was low on fuel but still had plenty to make it the 2 miles home. On a hilly road the car began to sputter and no power to make a climb, then died. Restarted, stumbled the rest of the way literally died as I pulled into the garage. No start after that. Pulled the fuel filter... I actually tapped it down onto a towel on my work bench and an enormous amount of garbage poured out of it. Fit the new filter started right up, no trouble since.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with Brad. Start with the fuel filter and if that doesn't work change the fuel pump. My pump failed and the symptoms were as you described. Started and ran for about 10-15 seconds then sputtered off.

My mechanic sprayed carb cleaner on the fuel rail (I think) and the engine stayed on much longer. Would come in handy if you don't have the equipment to measure the pressure at the rail.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can go through the trouble of testing the fuel pressure at various places but IMO fuel filter. If that hasn't been done in a while you should do it anyway. If that doesn't fix it I'd probably check the pressure and replace the pump if the results aren't sufficient. Had something very similar happen a couple of times... Sure it could be other things but this way my exact situation more than once. I was low on fuel but still had plenty to make it the 2 miles home. On a hilly road the car began to sputter and no power to make a climb, then died. Restarted, stumbled the rest of the way literally died as I pulled into the garage. No start after that. Pulled the fuel filter... I actually tapped it down onto a towel on my work bench and an enormous amount of garbage poured out of it. Fit the new filter started right up, no trouble since.
So I changed the fuel pump and it ran for 10 minutes straight. Cleared the codes and none of them showed back up.... the next day it wouldn’t start and I figured out I had a bad battery... put in a brand new battery and now it won’t even turn over

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter? Did you check the pressure at the rail. All your answers are mentioned in above posts. If it’s clogged you wont have fuel going to the rail sooner or later after you put in a new pump. Remember you need air, fuel and spark for it to turn over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts